MI Insurance Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 8:22 am Thread Starter

MI Insurance Question

I'm up touring the UP and yesterday while I was waiting for an available fuel pump this guy in a jeep decided to make a quick escape and guns it in reverse. I had nowhere to escape with all the cars around and the speed he moved all I could do was honk and hope. He nailed me pretty hard, pushed the bike about a foot sideways before it fell over, thank goodness for the tipover bars otherwise we could have been seriously hurt, as it was neither of us suffered so much as a twisted ankle however it appears that the entire fairing has been pushed a bit left. The bike seems fine however I suspect that there is a significant amount of damage and therefore a lot of work and cost.

So the question is with no fault insurance in MI do i get stuck holding the bag for this as an out of stater or is there some kind of provision for us non-Michignaders?

Here's for hoping, and thanks.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2000 BMW R1200C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 10:37 am
Enjoy The Ride

Re: MI Insurance Question

No fault in Michigan does not apply to bike verse auto accidents. The auto is responsible for the total cost. Hopefully you got a police report.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
No fault in Michigan does not apply to bike verse auto accidents. The auto is responsible for the total cost. Hopefully you got a police report.
This is good news, cop would not issue a report since it happened on private property so I will hope for the best. Thanks for the info.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
)
2000 BMW R1200C

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 4:04 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
This is good news, cop would not issue a report since it happened on private property so I will hope for the best. Thanks for the info.
Last year my friend Ray's son took his bike to work on a nice spring day. It is not unusual to cancel Insurance in the winter on motorcycles in Michigan & the bike was not insured. His son was involved in a accident on his lunch break. Ray didn't think anything would be covered & when he called his insurance agent he was told that the other vehicle was responsible for everything because it was a accident between a motorcycle & a 4 wheel vehicle.

Not only did the guy's insurance have to pay for the bike they paid him for his time off work & all of his medical bills. He just turned down there first offer of over $100,000 for pain & suffering. Michigan has some very good laws for motorcyclist.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 5 Old Aug 19th, 2013, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

This pretty much sums up my life, so in order to serve as that warning for all of you I will relay my experience from this latest episode.

After a few weeks of back and forth with the insurance company and researching state law I am screwed. If I had been injured they would have paid but since there was no personal injury in the accident there will likewise be no compensation. So, if you are riding around in MI and you get hit by some other idiot, make sure you have an 'injury' to claim. I should have just lied and said my back and knee issues were due to the accident, then at least they would pay for the damages to my bike but I was honest, which was my mistake.

Moral of the story: If you go riding in MI, up your insurance to $0 deductible because there is no penalty (and therefore no deterrence) for the clowns driving around up there not to run down your motorcycle in a parking lot except for a minor scuff on their bumper that will probably rub out.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
)
2000 BMW R1200C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in