Areas equall to or better than Tail of the Dragon? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 4th, 2013, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Areas equall to or better than Tail of the Dragon?

Any parts of the Ohio are with comp riding of the NC back roads, hills, mountains, Tail of the Dragon stretch?

I'm still daydreaming about duplicating that sort of riding some place else on my way to or from New England this summer.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 4th, 2013, 11:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Areas equall to or better than Tail of the Dragon?

Bob,
Here a couple
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/69...gons-Tail.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/45...he-Dragon.html

I've ridden this one both ways and you can go from Zanesville to the Ohio River!

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/44...Route-555.html

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 16 Old May 5th, 2013, 12:31 am

Paul's got it. Anything in the southeast corner of Ohio is great. You can't go wrong anywhere.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 16 Old May 5th, 2013, 4:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hijack!
Howard, you still in Nor lans?

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #5 of 16 Old May 5th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Hijack!
Howard, you still in Nor lans?
I am. You can see my weekend day trips on the LT picture thread that's ongoing.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 16 Old May 6th, 2013, 3:58 am Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions

The problem I run into whenever I look at road maps in areas like that, just about every back road looks great!!

I'm considering riding in CO, wind up on route 70 and just head east to that area in Ohio. But, too much in that area?!!

Route 379, route 28, 26, route 148, route 280, route 537, wheeeeeew! So many interesting looking rides.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Last edited by BecketMa; May 6th, 2013 at 4:19 am.
post #7 of 16 Old May 6th, 2013, 9:27 am
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

I like Hwy 28 better than the Gap, but the Gap is fun, just too crowded with Leo's, boaters, truckers and sport cars.

36 in California is my favorite, great scenery, beautiful Red Woods and little traffic.
post #8 of 16 Old May 6th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Anywhere in Missouri or Arkansas...

I rode HWY 90 un Missouri last weekend.. I was giggling the whole time..

Of course I live in Oklahoma...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 16 Old May 7th, 2013, 8:55 am
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Anywhere in Missouri or Arkansas...

John
I've enjoyed the Bug Run in the Ozarks, nice roads, not a lot of public restrooms, lots of outhouses still in use. Oh yeah, tons of big knarly colorful bugs.

Side note on bugs: Had my car detailed at the office yesterday, 32 mile drive home, and the front of the car covered with love-bugs. I hates me some lovebugs...
post #10 of 16 Old May 7th, 2013, 4:34 pm

I am riding the "Dragon" later this month butRt 555 frm Zanesville, OH south to Little Hocking is pretty good.

here some video:

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #11 of 16 Old May 12th, 2013, 4:25 am Thread Starter

Hi Dave

Haven't seen one of your posts in ages.

Tahk you for all of the suggestions.

Unfortunately, CA isn't between AZ and Mass when I head East. I rode some of the Ozarks when it stopped raining and I was in Conway. I'd forgotten how much fun I had on back roads there.

Best from Tucson
Bob

post #12 of 16 Old May 12th, 2013, 7:34 am

+1 for 28 in NC. If you're continuing to Mass after riding in Ohio, consider Route 6 across PA. Not a lot of twists and turns, just a great road to be on.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #13 of 16 Old May 12th, 2013, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
+1 for 28 in NC. If you're continuing to Mass after riding in Ohio, consider Route 6 across PA. Not a lot of twists and turns, just a great road to be on.
+1 in PA (You can start form NE Ohio as well!)
Saw some bear cubs there and I'm sure mama was around too!

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #14 of 16 Old May 15th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Bob, IMHO the road from Silver City to Hillsbourgh NM, I beleive NM152 is an awsome, awsome road. Of course from Morenci ovre 78 to Silver City is great as well.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #15 of 16 Old May 15th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Arizona 89-A south out of Flagstaff down through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona, then southward through Clarkdale (Verde Canyon Railroad ride is awesome!) and then to Jerome. Lunch stop at Jerome and walk around the town. Walk up to the old hotel in town, and check out the old cars in the garage. The mining museum at the Jerome State Historic Park is outstanding, and has a 3-D model of the silver mine tunnels under the town. After lunch continue southbound on 89-A to Prescott for the evening.

Actually anywhere in Arizona is pretty much outstanding. Go North out of Flagstaff and you will hit the Grand Canyon and much of the Gran Staircase.

Something not to be missed is the climb up to the North Rim Grand Canyon Lodge area. Totally different than the South Rim, and much cooler.

As far as the Dragon area, there are a lot of great roads without all the idiots south and east.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; May 15th, 2013 at 8:44 pm.
post #16 of 16 Old May 15th, 2013, 9:38 pm

The Coronado Trail, route 191 (old 666), in eastern Arizona from Clifton up to Alpine is one of the best mountain twistie runs anywhere, and the start north from Clifton up a spine through the middle of a giant open pit copper mine is absolutely surreal. Stop for exquisite berry pie in Hannigan Meadows General Store.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in