Upper Penninsula Michigan Ride Suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Upper Penninsula Michigan Ride Suggestions

I will be riding from the Mackinac Bridge on Friday afternoon and heading to Marquette, Houghton, Copper Harbor. I will be returning on Sunday. Not sure what routes to take, but am looking for great scenery, 2 lane highways with sweepers, etc.

My plan is to stay Friday night in Marquette, then tool around on Saturday in Houghton area, spend the night somewhere. Any suggestions for lodging, dining, etc.?

Thanks much,

Chris

1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R
1972 Norton Commando 750
1974 Vespa Rally 200
1974 Norton Commando 850
1975 Norton Commando 850
1980 Vespa P200E
2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar
2011 BMW R1200RT
2013 Vespa GTV 300ie
2013 Honda CB1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 8:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Upper Penninsula Michigan Ride Suggestions

I was just on the Keweenaw Peninsula Saturday. Depending on your rotation around the peninsula, on the coast between Eagle Harbor and Copper Harbor is a must but, riding between Copper Harbor, down the Lac La Belle Rd and Gay Rd into Gay is very serene with perfect sweeping curves right on the coast that seem to never end. Be careful to fill up since gas stations are few and far between. I had to get the bartender at "The Gay Bar" to turn on the pump. Nice thing about that was the gas was 100% premium unleaded. No corn squezzin's! Averaged over 50mpg on it.
From Houghton, either take 41 to Eagle Harbor or 26 to Gay Rd to Lac La Belle.
Also, H-58 between Grand Marais and Munising is starting to be very well recognized as a must for riders.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 10:15 pm

From St.Ignace, there are a few options.
1. Follow US 2 west along Lake Michigan to M-77 north to Grand Marais which is along Lake Superior.
2. Follow I-75 north to M28. West on M28 three miles to the road north to Brimley(don't recall #) From Brimley, follow the Curly Lewis Scenic Byway along Lake Superior to M123, then north to Paradise. Follow M123 west to Newberry and M28 again. M28 west to M77 at Seney, then north to Grand Marais. Looking at your map, you will see that M123 is weird. It starts at its junction with I-75, goes north crossing M28 then to Paradise, then south to Newberry and ends at its junction with M28 just south of Newberry. Confused yet?

OK, this has gotten you to Grand Marais. Now for the real fun stuff....from Grand Marais take H-58 west to Munising. Know locally as the Hurricane Highway, this road will arguably be nnear top of the list.

From Munising, get back on M28 west again. M28 joins US41 at Marquette area. Follow US41 to Copper Harbor.

If you stop at the Michigan DOT welcome center in St.Ignace, immediately after crossing the bridge/toll booth, you should be able to get a UP ride guide published by UPCruising.com The guide has all of the motorcycle fun roads of the UP. I will see Brad at UPcruising tomorrow morning and find out where other outlets are for the guide.

Hope this helps.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I was just on the Keweenaw Peninsula Saturday. Depending on your rotation around the peninsula, on the coast between Eagle Harbor and Copper Harbor is a must but, riding between Copper Harbor, down the Lac La Belle Rd and Gay Rd into Gay is very serene with perfect sweeping curves right on the coast that seem to never end. Be careful to fill up since gas stations are few and far between. I had to get the bartender at "The Gay Bar" to turn on the pump. Nice thing about that was the gas was 100% premium unleaded. No corn squezzin's! Averaged over 50mpg on it.
From Houghton, either take 41 to Eagle Harbor or 26 to Gay Rd to Lac La Belle.
Also, H-58 between Grand Marais and Munising is starting to be very well recognized as a must for riders.

HTH,
Jer
Same here, and we took most of those same roads on the way home from CCR. We hugged the coastline as much as possible and found some beautiful roads with great scenery. Stop at the scenic overlooks when you can - well worth it. I just found our next vacation spot.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 19th, 2012, 11:19 am

Chris,
Did you make the UP ride as planned? Curious of your experiences up here.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in