Tucson to Akron to Gorham (Portland) Maine ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Tucson to Akron to Gorham (Portland) Maine ride

I'm planning a ride, for the beginning of August, from Tucson to Portland Maine area.

Bing and Google suggest different routes from each other. Both of them are identical from Tucson to Akron Ohio.

Since here to Akron is common to both routes, are there any construction sites that I should avoid?

What times during the day and afternoon should I avoid major and medium cities along that route?

Are there any major places along the way to stop and check out?

Google suggests a route from Akron to Maine via route 90 along lake Erie and then across NY via route 86 to Albany NY then to route 90 across MA and then up to Maine; 2,800 miles around 46 hours

Bing suggests from Akron to route 75 to route 80 across PA to route 84 into Hartford CT and then up to ME; 2,700 miles, around 40 hours.

Does the extra 6 hours for the 100 mile longer route via NY make sense? Bing estimates 30 hours to Akron Ohio with Google estimating 33 hours.

From Akron to Gorham Maine, Google estimates the best route is identical to Bing's, across PA??!! @ 13 hours while Bing estimates 11 hours.

Any thoughts about the route across PA into Danbury CT and then up to Maine? I know that I need to be past Lowell MA by around 4PM in order not to get stuck in bumper to bumper.

Any thoughts on the route via Lake Erie, acrosws NY to Albany Ny and then across MA? I know on that route I need to be past Lowell MA by 4PM.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Re: Tucson to Akron to Gorham (Portland) Maine ride

Route through NY, I-86 (Rt 17) to I-88 to Albany, etc is marginally more scenic than I80/84 through PA. If you are mainly looking to get to Portland, I would save the six hours.

If you have lots of time and want to ride some great roads off the Interstate, we can talk.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 9th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Tucson to Akron to Gorham (Portland) Maine ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
?
Any thoughts on the route via Lake Erie, acrosws NY to Albany Ny and then across MA? I know on that route I need to be past Lowell MA by 4PM.

Best from Tucson
Bob
Bob,
I know I posted this before but somehow it didn't get here.

First you are correct about getting past Lowell before 4Pm, but I would make that 2 or 3 and never on a friday!!

Have you thought about Rt 9E out of Albany taking Rt91N to St. Johnsbury and then Rt2E over to Gorham? Other than White River Junction betting no traffic and nicer ride then Mass Rt90E to Rt495N to Rt16N.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in