Michigan helmet law - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Michigan helmet law

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder repealed the helmet law yesterday effective immediately. Michigan is now the 31st state to do so. I bet 99% will still wear their helmets, I will be a part of that but it's nice to know you have a choice now. Time to go for a ride to the Harley shop and see how many are driving in with no helmets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 11:22 am

Re: Michigan helmet law

I've been wondering about this. Thanks for the update!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 7:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ya, My wife I went for a walk today, & the guy down the road pulled out on his Goldwing...with out a helmet. I thought the law must have changed when we were in Florida for the winter . They it was on the news tonight that the law was changed yesterday.

...Side note...There was a guy that fell off the back a golf cart a few year ago, hit his head & died. It doesn't take a big hit to the head to kill you

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Yup, life is all about choices!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3rdchip (166).JPG
Views:	297
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	34901  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 16 Old Apr 13th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Hans, I love it...the analogy I mean. I wish I still had the helmet that I was wearing when I crashed back in the summer of 1976. I was 16 at the time and crashed a Yamaha DT100. I am convinced to this day that I would not have survived had I not been wearing a helmet. The outer shell was worn all the way to the foam liner at a point on the back just behind my left ear. I don't think the cranium would have held up that well. Only had a small abrasion on my lower back the size of an apple. I threw the helmet in a trash bin. My parents would have killed me if they knew what I had done. As for the bike....broke off a mirror.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #6 of 16 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 2:13 pm

I wish everyone would wear a helmet every time they rode. But I don't like the idea of having laws making it mandatory. At most, governments should offer educational/informative information via TV spots and other media. Being free has a cost. I prefer living with those costs rather than losing any of my individual freedoms and free choice. We need to get back to a mentality of personal accountability, rather than expecting others to pay for the dumb choices certain people make. Like it says in many individually owned stores, "you break it, you pay for it."

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #7 of 16 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Garage

What are we discussing MI helmet law????
Free choices or wearing a helmet. I for one wear a helmet because I want to. The law is just a side issue. I wear gloves, boots leather and now riding pants and jacket so if a law is passed saying that I needed those it will not phase me. There are so many rationals as to why do this and that but only one head (brain). Sporting activities like (baseball, football, and hockey) use helmets and when we go to war we wear helmets so trying to keep that block on my shoulders to hang my ears and a helmet to attach my headset is priceless.
ride safe
post #8 of 16 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Just wondering how long it will take for my insurance rates to be hiked up because of those who elected not to wear a helmet.
post #9 of 16 Old Apr 14th, 2012, 9:11 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Those that chose not wear a helmet should pay more for insurance than those that chose to wear them. JMTCW

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 16 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Those that chose not wear a helmet should pay more for insurance than those that chose to wear them. JMTCW
They do. Or they are supposed to. $20,000.00 of Medical Insurance is a requirement of the new law. Also, be at least 21 yrs old and have passed a motorcycle safety course or have had their endorsement for at least 2 years.
Enforcement? yeah right.

Oh, and BTW, MCCA just increased the annual insurance rape to $175.00/vehicle. This is such a great program, only Michigan has it. Go figure.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #11 of 16 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 12:09 pm

The insurance companies did the same thing here in Florida a few years ago,
Florida did not have "mandatory" insurance laws for motorcycles,
now they have mandatory insurance laws for those who wish to ride without a helmet,
a step in the direction the insurance industry wanted to go,
eventually the helmet law will be "re-instated" but the insurance requirement will never go away, that's how 'politics" work.

I have insurance and I always wear a helmet and I don't like being "told" to wear one,
but unfortunately a lot of riders are more concerned with looking cool and being "accepted" than they are with their personal safety,
even worse they are also usually the novice and inexperienced riders.

I don't bother with telling anybody that I think they should wear a helmet anymore,
they don't listen anyway,
I believe just showing them my scarred helmet has a much better effect.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #12 of 16 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi
Hans, I love it...the analogy I mean. I wish I still had the helmet that I was wearing when I crashed back in the summer of 1976. I was 16 at the time and crashed a Yamaha DT100. I am convinced to this day that I would not have survived had I not been wearing a helmet. The outer shell was worn all the way to the foam liner at a point on the back just behind my left ear. I don't think the cranium would have held up that well. Only had a small abrasion on my lower back the size of an apple. I threw the helmet in a trash bin. My parents would have killed me if they knew what I had done. As for the bike....broke off a mirror.
We have a lot in common. Same bike and year that I started riding the road.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #13 of 16 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 11:16 pm

I live in IL, which has never, as far as I know, had a helmet law. I always wear one and have nicked more than one, luckily with rocks, and collected any number of large bug hits, in split of the LT's excellent windshield.

And we have lots adverstisements for helmet wearing on the news every summer as the accidents pile up. Yes, it is an infringement on freedom, but so is having to pay for care for the injured who have no long term coverage.

Sad, but there is no free lunch out there.

bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #14 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:24 am

I can't imagine not riding W/O a helmet.
I raced many a different machine in my day and have seen what happens when one has one.
W/O can only lead down the trail of misery.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Garage

I read it on the Internet, so I know it must be true.... The insurance companies did a study to find out which motorcyclist had the lowest medical bills, ones that wore a helmet or those that didn't wear one. The conclusion was that those without had lower medical bills cause they were dead...That being the case, why would helmet-less riders be required to have more insurance?

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #16 of 16 Old Apr 16th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
I live in IL, which has never, as far as I know, had a helmet law.

bill
Illinois had a helmet law in 1967-68.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in