Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through" - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 27th, 2012, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rwbloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlotte, VT, USA
Posts: 305
Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Part of my western ride in June will be a ride from St. Louis to Santa Fe. Looking at the map, a slight detour into the Ozarks looks very feasible and highly worthwhile. Any suggestions on the best "just passing through" route given that I want to hit Tulsa on the west side? Thanks.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rwbloch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 1:42 am
Senior Member
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL, USA
Posts: 1,215
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Try Hwy 123 in NW AR.
Best road around for miles.
I have hit it every time I was near it and it's a thrill for us city boys.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
OU812 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 7:17 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Hwy 7 is a MUST ride road. Very nice & curvy road.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 1:39 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbloch
Part of my western ride in June will be a ride from St. Louis to Santa Fe. Looking at the map, a slight detour into the Ozarks looks very feasible and highly worthwhile. Any suggestions on the best "just passing through" route given that I want to hit Tulsa on the west side? Thanks.
Would you like to get into SW MO and NW AR on your way to Tulsa?? I would, and here's how I'd do it.

Hit MO 65 outta Springfield and go south to Ozark, MO. Plan to arrive there about lunch time and have a feast at Lambert's Home of the Throwed Rolls, on the east side of 65 at MO14 (should be plenty of billboards to get you there). After my nap in the parking lot ( ), I'd head east on 14 for a short ride over to Sparta and take MO125 (a really, really nice lean left/lean right road) south and rock-n-roll down to the flat-topped ferry across an arm of Bull Shoals Lake - continue south to AR62 and turn west on 62 and take that to and thru Eureka Springs - I might stop to be a tourist - on over to Rogers/Bentonville, AR. In Bentonville, a nice stop to shake hands with some friendly folks at Bentonville, BMW. Then head on west into OK and generally go NW to Tulsa, or take 71 outta Bentonville and run north up thru/nearby Neosho, MO and hit I-44 at Joplin, then west to the state line and finish up with the toll highway (~350 pennies) into Tulsa. Speed limit is 75 - zero tolerance - on I-44.

If you don't catch any of this on your way west, maybe catch some of it heading back to St. L. Ride safe - have a ball.
Dick is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 2:11 pm
Senior Member
 
kk610lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Flossmoor, IL, USA
Posts: 831
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

I find the Ozarks to be a little "elusive" in Missouri (no offense) but you can find them in Arkansas as stated above.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
kk610lt is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 4:47 pm
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR, USA
Posts: 43
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Would you like to get into SW MO and NW AR on your way to Tulsa?? I would, and here's how I'd do it.

Hit MO 65 outta Springfield and go south to Ozark, MO. Plan to arrive there about lunch time and have a feast at Lambert's Home of the Throwed Rolls, on the east side of 65 at MO14 (should be plenty of billboards to get you there). After my nap in the parking lot ( ), I'd head east on 14 for a short ride over to Sparta and take MO125 (a really, really nice lean left/lean right road) south and rock-n-roll down to the flat-topped ferry across an arm of Bull Shoals Lake - continue south to AR62 and turn west on 62 and take that to and thru Eureka Springs - I might stop to be a tourist - on over to Rogers/Bentonville, AR. In Bentonville, a nice stop to shake hands with some friendly folks at Bentonville, BMW. Then head on west into OK and generally go NW to Tulsa, or take 71 outta Bentonville and run north up thru/nearby Neosho, MO and hit I-44 at Joplin, then west to the state line and finish up with the toll highway (~350 pennies) into Tulsa. Speed limit is 75 - zero tolerance - on I-44.

If you don't catch any of this on your way west, maybe catch some of it heading back to St. L. Ride safe - have a ball.
Dick's route is a good one. One suggestion, rather than back north on 71 to i44 I would go south from Bentonville to Hwy 412 at Springdale then west to Tulsa. Much quicker. Definitely stop in at Bentonville BMW...outstanding folks there.

Greg
gbbaile is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 5:07 pm
Senior Member
 
gbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nevada, MO, USA
Posts: 461
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

I like Dicks post , except for Lamberts got a problem with tossing food . I take the free Peels Ferry ride when ever in the area , just set on the bike with kick stand up during begining and end of ferry ride .

Bob G
gbob is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fulshear, TX, USA
Posts: 2,082
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob
I like Dicks post , except for Lamberts got a problem with tossing food . I take the free Peels Ferry ride when ever in the area , just set on the bike with kick stand up during begining and end of ferry ride .

Bob G
I am disappointed that Dick didn't tell them where to get gas!

dan
DanMartin is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob
I like Dicks post , except for Lamberts got a problem with tossing food . I take the free Peels Ferry ride when ever in the area , just set on the bike with kick stand up during begining and end of ferry ride .

Bob G
Hey, Bob - only food I've ever had thrown at me (other than by ....... uhh, I better not go there) were the rolls at Lamberts. I think they do the same thing at their Louisiana store and the ?Paducah? store (not sure on that location). I guess it might bother some folks, butt the coupla times I've been there, all the rolls were caught - and they were scrumdiddly good, I might add!
Dick is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2012, 6:10 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
I am disappointed that Dick didn't tell them where to get gas!

dan
I figger he's got the free *Gas Buddy* app on his iPhone!!
Dick is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 29th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwriderm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Huntingburg , IN, USA
Posts: 303
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

You might want to stop in Branson Mo. And see the Baldknobber Boys.
bmwriderm is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2012, 6:13 am
Senior Member
 
lurch102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Posts: 345
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

One of my favorite rides in the area is south on MO SR112 from Cassville to Roaring River State Park, take a stroll around the fish hatchery and the cave/springs, then west on SR90 to Noel.

On some of those corners you can read your own rear license plate

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
lurch102 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2012, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rwbloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlotte, VT, USA
Posts: 305
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rwbloch is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old Apr 4th, 2012, 10:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
deanwoolsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topeka, KS, USA
Posts: 3,105
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Fayetteville AR to Ozark AR on the Pig Eye Trail.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deanwoolsey is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:57 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 1,206
Garage
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Last year I rode Route 66 Chicago to OKL City before heading south in to Texas on I-35. Depending on your time restraints you can hop on and off of the famous route pretty much close to I-44 leaving Saint Louis. And west of Springfield MO the signage is great into Joplin and Galena KS. From there a few broken stretches on route 69 and getting on and off 66 all the way to Tulsa. The good thing is you are never too far from I-44 if you have to make up time. But in the daytime you will miss many sights. Here are just a few:
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 008.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	34840   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 018.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	34841   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 024.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	34842   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 025.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	34843   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 66 ride 033.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	34844  

billsmith is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 8:34 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Last year I rode Route 66 Chicago to OKL City before heading south in to Texas on I-35. Depending on your time restraints you can hop on and off of the famous route pretty much close to I-44 leaving Saint Louis. And west of Springfield MO the signage is great into Joplin and Galena KS. From there a few broken stretches on route 69 and getting on and off 66 all the way to Tulsa. The good thing is you are never too far from I-44 if you have to make up time. But in the daytime you will miss many sights. Here are just a few:
ride safe
Momentary hi-jack.
Good job on finding the Marsh Bridge, Bill. Difficult for me to admit it, butt I grew up in Baxter Springs; hung out in Galena; graduated a coupla years of Junior College in Joplin; and left home in the mid-50s - never once saw the Marsh Bridge. I think there were a few (ok .... several ) late evening back seat *get-togethers* out there close to the bridge; just never knew it wuz there. Experienced most everything else relating to Route 66 around southeast KS, northeast OK and southwestern MO. I thank my folks for choosing that locale to raise our family.
End of hi-jack.
Dick is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old Apr 8th, 2012, 9:11 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 1,206
Garage
Re: Best Ozarks route if "Just passing through"

Hey Dick no Hi-Jack the topic said just passing thru.
But I remember sending some of these on my first return from my route 66 trip. And western MO is definitely part of the Ozarks.
OK so I'm not accused of hijack that stretch from Joplin into south east KS and south into OK thru Miami and many of those small towns was great ride but my camera was dead battery after leaving that bridge.
ride safe
billsmith is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A route with waypoints refuses to autoroute in Nav III Voyager GPS 1 Jul 11th, 2010 1:05 pm
Route from Chicago to St. Louis? Briantime Mid West 1 Jul 2nd, 2008 2:12 am
Help with route to/from CCR rmg08057 Northern California 5 Aug 19th, 2007 11:30 pm
Finns in Denver, route to CCR and gear advise? pozo_izquierdo Curve Cowboy Reunion 1 Jun 9th, 2006 7:09 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome