Lower MI roads? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Lower MI roads?

Traveling two up on a K1200LT from St Ignace to Midland about 9-22-11. Is I-75 in decent condition? or any other recommendations?

Then traveling Midland to Ludington - any comments?

Taking the Badger across Lk Michigan to Manitowoc - what is required for tie downs on the ferry?

THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Re: Lower MI roads?

If you are destined for Midland by expressway, I would suggest I-75 to US127 to US 10 to Midland. This route avoids some of the heavier traffic around Bay City. US10 west to Ludington is a pleasant ride.
While passing through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, concider some of the fun bike routes listed at www.upcrusing.com

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 8:40 am

The Badger requires 2 tiedowns per bike. Here's the website: http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

As far as cool roads to ride, you're pretty south of some real nice ones: M-22, M-119, East Jordan/Traverse City area. US 10 is a good road but kinda straight.

I've taken my bike across Lake Michigan on the high speed ferry Muskegan-Milwaukee. (well, actually it was Milwaukee-Muskegan) It's nice- 2 hour crossing time. But I've always wanted to take the Badger. Although it's a 4 hour crossing the cool factor is so much higher. There's talk that they may have to shut down operations due to EPA regs on coal ash disposal. They're trying to work something out and it wouldn't happen until the 2013/14 season. Guess I need to get that ride in soon.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I understand the Badger has real 4 cyl piston steam engine. As a retired MechEngr I don't want to miss seeing that. I really hope they can keep running it.

But what are the tie downs connected to on the boat side? A side rail? or anchors in the floor? or whatever? Is rope considered sufficient for a K1200LT? or do I have to use those nylon strappy ratchet things? I assume the center stand is best for a starter.

I e-mailed the Badger but so far only an automated confirmation reply.

Thanks on the suggested route info. We are also doing Ironwood - Copper harbor- St Ignace next week.

Last edited by 11862; Sep 16th, 2011 at 2:10 pm.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 5:37 pm

On the high speed ferry (and I assume the Badger) the tiedowns connect to D rings in the deck. Using the side stand is better than the center stand- more stable. Remember to leave the bike in first gear. I wouldn't use rope. Use the nylon strappy ratchet things. Your bike's worth it.

And the Keweenaw is just a superb area to ride. And lotsa good roads between St. Ignace and Copper Harbor.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I think that there is a lot of construction on I75 around the Pinconning, Bay City area. Better to go down 127 to US10.

I second the suggestion on taking 119 from Cross Village to Harbor Springs, (the tunnel of trees) it is a really great ride. M22 is also a great ride!!

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #7 of 9 Old Sep 16th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
We are also doing Ironwood - Copper harbor- St Ignace next week.
If headed to Copper Harbor from Ironwood area, a 'must do' section is the south boundary road to Porcupine Mountain State Park. The road, CR 519 or Presque Isle Road, is accessed from just east of Wakefield off M-28. It will eventually get you up to Lake Superior shoreline near Silver City, MI and Lake of the Clouds within the park.

South Boundary Road was one of my three favorite rides this past summer. The others....Tunnel of Trees (M119) as previously mentioned and Alger County, H58 northeast of Munising, MI.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #8 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Traveling two up on a K1200LT from St Ignace to Midland about 9-22-11. Is I-75 in decent condition? or any other recommendations?

Then traveling Midland to Ludington - any comments?

Taking the Badger across Lk Michigan to Manitowoc - what is required for tie downs on the ferry?

Well, there are a few ways to get from St Ignace to Midland . It all depends on how much time you have to do it in. If you only have a few hours then I would go I-75 to US 27 to US 10 to Midland.

If I had all day, county 81 -to- M119 -to- US31 -to- (M22north around leelanau) -to- US31 -to- M55 -to- US115 -to- US10 -to- midland

If you have less that a full day, but a bit more that a few hours M33 or US23

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #9 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

For final trip report see:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...497#post561497

We were chased by showers, time and wind on this trip thru the UP & didn't get to ride H58. It was even being talked up by locals though & it is on my bucket list.

Otherwise the trip went well, UP and lower MI roads were very good excpt for a couple of minor rough sections in major towns where there was construction. Midweek the construction delay around Bay City was minor. The rides thru lower MI - especially US Hwy 10 were much better than I expected. In WI we hit wind & rain showers, with 52 mph gusts around Eau Claire that freaked out my wife (and me for that matter), and delayed us a day. Otherwise the most exciting thing to happen was a mattress on the freeway in Madison WI (trivial).

THX again guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in