US 212 Vs SD 34 from Sturgis to Pierre? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

US 212 Vs SD 34 from Sturgis to Pierre?

I'm currently planning the return trip from CCR in Boise this year. I am looking to stay away as much as possible from I-90 eastbound and I see some references to west to east routes across SD on some of the touring websites for two roads, US 212 and SD 34. I expect I will be passing Sturgis and I will be looking at taking in Mount Rushmore and the Badlands NP. I'm trying to wind my way around in the area and I see that the Iron Mountain Road (US - 16A) is short but recommended and taking that gets me way east on a recommended road SD - 34 from Sturgis to Pierre SD.

Now the question is if I head north, is it worth heading back toward Sturgis to take the western segment of SD 34 or just head north from the Badlands and catch SD 34 east from there? Is it better country riding more towards Pierre or Sturgis? Or should I really be heading more north to US 212. Eventually I want to be heading into Minneapolis? I'm looking at heading north around Lake Superior (either north or south shore) eventually getting to Canada and heading east towards Ontario eventually coming back to the US somewhere in Upstate NY.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 24th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Re: US 212 Vs SD 34 from Sturgis to Pierre?

Once you leave the Bad Lands SD and Western MN is flat and boring. You can take US 14 across to Mankato and then up to Minneapolis or you could go further north and miss the Cities all together. 212 or 12 would help you get closer to the cities. Some of best riding is in Wisconsin. Great roads around the Dells and along the Mississippi river. Then you could head north thru Wisc. I wouldn't bother taking the north route around the lake. It is far from the lake and really boring. The road to the Canada boarder is great but once you get into Canada all you will see again are trees for hundreds of miles. I would take the south route to the UP.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=MN...,5,7,9,10&z=10

Between B and C are some really fun county roads and what we do is just take turns as we want. They are all black topped and are hilly and twisty.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 24th, 2011, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Tom, Exactly what I am looking for.

I want to get back to the northeast but do not like going around Chicago and through Indiana and Ohio because of the interstates and the constant fight with trucks and commuters. I live in the northeast and get enough of that every day.

On my way west, I am crossing into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie and going around the north side of Lake Superior to Thunder Bay on Canada 17 and then hopefully to the Yellowtail Highway (16) to Jasper NP in Alberta.

On the eastbound leg my Garmin mapping software 'Basecamp' takes me really north if I cross into Canada at International Falls. I looked at Route 2 like you suggested but have not decided. I didn't like going north to International Falls without a good scenic road and maybe your suggestion is good enough to have me use 212 and then use Interstates to get around Minneapolis and go north on your suggestion (A to E). I read on this board that a new road in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore is pretty awesome and has me interested and it is off 141 on Michigan 28 past where you stopped . I could eventually enter Canada again at Sault Ste. Marie and possibly take Canada 17 around Lake Huron towards Sudbury and then southeast towards a cross point in northern New York State and then head across the Adirondack Mtns towards New England.

Have you ever taken Canada Rte 17 around Lake Huron? or the new road in Pictured Rocks?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 1st, 2011, 2:19 pm

You may want to check North shore drive along Lake Superior. Check to make sure there isn't road construction though. I heard that the road is under construction after Gooseberry Falls to the Canada border. I wouldn't go to International Falls I would go over at Grand Portage if you want to go on the north of Superior. Highway 61 but this may be under construction. Check the minn mndot site for road work.

To miss the Cities you need to head to St. Cloud and head North from there.

The only bad thing is from the bad lands to about Twin cities or St. Cloud or Rochester the ride is flat and boring.

All you will see is corn, beans, corn, birds, beans, corn, and if lucky a Farm house, corn, corn, Small town etc etc etc for mile after mile. You may as well plan a good 12 hour ride with this in your sites. If you can do it get it over with in one day or stop and see the Mitchell Corn Palace in SD or the worlds larges ball of lint or something like that.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in