Thinking about buying an used Lt. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 27th, 2011, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Thinking about buying an used Lt.

I have a couple of questions about the LT. I'm not very tall, about 5'7. Have inseam of 29 inches. The seat level of the LT is listed as about 30 inches. Are my feet going to touch the ground? The weight of the bike is a concern. I now have a Yamaha Royal Star venture. Its acts top heavy, does the LT suffer from this? Love the look of the LT and would take kindly to any advice you can give me. Thanks ahead of time. Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 27th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Re: Thinking about buying an used Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgordon10
I have a couple of questions about the LT. I'm not very tall, about 5'7. Have inseam of 29 inches. The seat level of the LT is listed as about 30 inches. Are my feet going to touch the ground? The weight of the bike is a concern. I now have a Yamaha Royal Star venture. Its acts top heavy, does the LT suffer from this? Love the look of the LT and would take kindly to any advice you can give me. Thanks ahead of time. Bruce
First, the LT is a top heavy bike. That being said, you should visit a few online stores near you and see about a test ride and decide for yourself. Once on the bike all of your troubles seem to fade away!

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old May 27th, 2011, 3:29 pm

See if you can get over to all seasons in Wooster OH. They usually have a good stock of used bikes all kinds. They might have an LT you could sit on.

http://www.motorcyclesohio.com/

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 13 Old May 27th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Good advice to find one you can sit on. The LT is top heavy and seat height can present challenges for the in-seam challenged. Having said that, there are some who have short legs that do ok with the LT. You just need to determine that for yourself.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #5 of 13 Old May 27th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgordon10
1- what year bike, the pre 2005 seats were wider thus higher
2- how heavy are you, a big butt makes your legs shorter (no joke)
3- give it a test ride and see if you like

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 13 Old May 27th, 2011, 8:37 pm

I am at 30" and the 02' LT was fine for me. My 08' RT however seems taller? either way like what was stated...Once you are moving you don't care.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #7 of 13 Old May 29th, 2011, 12:13 pm

I'm the same 5' 7 and 28/29 inseam. I have no real issues anymore (bike related) after learning to handle the bikes wait. Was intimidating the first couple of weeks. Final stop, rear brake, left foot out, bike naturally leans that way so you can flat foot it. And don't forget to keep the front wheel straight.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #8 of 13 Old May 29th, 2011, 12:31 pm

I'm 5'10 with a 29" inseam and I bought my '02 new over there just above Pittsburgh, in Wexford and have put 47k miles on her since. Now that my shocks need replaced/rebuilt I have no trouble flat footing the bike. So if you have problems I'll be happy to swap shocks with you and I'll even pay the shipping. Just kidding, I was intimidated by the size and weight at first but had no trouble adjusting and as I've said before in over 40 years of riding (last 16 nothing but Beemers) this is the best bike I've ever owned, right now it's actually the only vehicle I own. Wish you luck with your deciding, but I know I've enjoyed my choice.
post #9 of 13 Old May 29th, 2011, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
See if you can get over to all seasons in Wooster OH. They usually have a good stock of used bikes all kinds. They might have an LT you could sit on.

http://www.motorcyclesohio.com/

Well now this is a kick in the seat of the pants. Went to wooster and they had no lt on the floor. Came home and checked the inventory online of all of the dealers around...they don't list one either. Kind of at a loss as to what to do here. The used lt I was looking at was sold.
post #10 of 13 Old May 29th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This might be too far for you to go , But.... Grand Rapids Mi. has two used ones '02 & a '05
http://www.bmwmcgr.com/?page=viewbike&id=847
http://www.bmwmcgr.com/?page=viewbike&id=783

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #11 of 13 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 6:55 pm

I'm 5'6", stocky w/29" inseam. My first LT had the low seat on it. Get that. When I later got an RT I bought Doc Martin boots on the advice of some one on this site. While the RT was lighter than the LT, looking back I liked the LT best.

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 5:18 pm

I have short legs. and they are top heavy. I found after my first test ride first off I was getting it and second, I had to start wearing tall boots with shin protection because as I was on my tip toes at stops, my short legs were not far enough out and I would get bruises on my shins from the peddles. When riding though, short legs are better because of distance between peddles and seat, you will be more comfortable. Oh, by the way, My '01 has the upgraded highway pegs that are very nice and sharp looking but are worthless to me because I can not reach them.
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 9:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you're looking to lose those highway pegs we can work a deal. My O.E. crash bars and frame plus some bucks for your frame and pegs. Send me a PM if interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in