Michigan and the lake - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old May 20th, 2010, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Michigan and the lake

Can anyone tell me what the roads and area around Lake Michigan is like? I have a trip planed this summer and wanted to know the sights I needed to see while I'm there and some good eats. I'm riding up from NC.. Don't know why Michigan, I just have never been there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R1200GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old May 21st, 2010, 5:43 am

Re: Michigan and the lake

When you coming up, Tony? What area of MI will you be in? I'll PM you with my phone number. I'd be happy to help you out.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #3 of 21 Old May 21st, 2010, 7:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickbeemer
Can anyone tell me what the roads and area around Lake Michigan is like? I have a trip planed this summer and wanted to know the sights I needed to see while I'm there and some good eats. I'm riding up from NC.. Don't know why Michigan, I just have never been there.
St Joseph is a good little town, and if you are looking to get your feet wet, they have a beach as well.

Haven't been there in about 5 years, roada were ok then.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #4 of 21 Old May 21st, 2010, 7:41 am

Ditto for me on St Joseph, it's a great little town with a nice beach and hotels right on the beach if you are so inclined. South Haven is pretty awesome too, nice little artsy type community. The roads along Lake Michigan were still in good shape a couple weeks ago when I was there (I swung back by the lake on my way home from my 'home' dealership in Grand Rapids). Don't know your inclination for sightseeing, but since you are coming up from the south, you could always take Indiana 5 up through the heart of Amish country, the sights are at least a little unique and the road is in good shape with some good curvy parts. The Donald C. Cook nuclear power plant just south of St Joseph USED to have a nice visitors center, but I heard it's only open to school tours now.
Lots of nice riding around the lake, you will enjoy yourself.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #5 of 21 Old May 21st, 2010, 7:52 am

If you truly want some beautiful riding and if you are coming north through downstate Michigan, cross over the Mackinaw Bridge into the Upper Peninsula and either take Rt. 2 across the southern part of the U.P. or go up to Sault Ste. Marie and take 28 across the Northern edge of the U.P. That goes along the Lake Superior shore. Take it all the way across to Houghton and then go up to the Keweenaw Peninsula. There you will have spectacular sights. The Keweenaw Peninsula is breathtaking. Be sure to go to Brockway Mountain up Brockway Drive by Eagle Harbor. On a clear day you can see Isle Royale some 60 miles out in Lake Superior. One of the best rides I have ever been on. That includes going out to Key West and Tail of the Dragon. On M28, stop in Munising and either take the Pictured Rocks Cruise or ride out to Miners Castle. Marquette has some beautiful spots such as Presque Isle Park and Sugar Loaf Mountain. The ride up to Houghton has some excellent wilderness riding on new two lane roads.

Last edited by Bandman; May 21st, 2010 at 7:58 am. Reason: incomplete
post #6 of 21 Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:58 am

I have to agree with "Bandman" that the upper peninsula is spectacular,
but there are also a lot of other really nice roads in the lower peninsula
on the west coast of Michigan,

A lot depends upon how much time you have and your preferred method of traveling,
if you like rural, two lane scenic roads you really can't go wrong with the west coast,
there are also lots of touristy towns to visit along the way,
You can ride most of the way along the lake on hwy 31,

Saugatuck, Grand Haven, whitehall, Ludington, Manistee, Frankfort, Traverse City,
Petosky

or if you like a more "woodsy" ride I recommend hwy 37

If you've got "a lot of time" you could take the ferry out of Ludington to Wisconsin
and come back clockwise across the UP

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 21 Old May 23rd, 2010, 2:02 pm

If you're traveling with the Mrs. I'm pretty sure she would enjoy that little road close to Lake Michigan known as 'The Magnificent Mile'. Just a few blocks from the lake in downtown Chicago. It's not a long rive from MI to Chicago and it is a great place to visit. Art museums, the Museum of Science and Industry and never forget the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Ahhh! Baseball at Wrigley field in the springtime! One of the highlights of my life was a weekend game with the whole family while driving back from the east coast in our motorhome.

Have a great trip!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 21 Old May 23rd, 2010, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandman
If you truly want some beautiful riding and if you are coming north through downstate Michigan, cross over the Mackinaw Bridge into the Upper Peninsula and either take Rt. 2 across the southern part of the U.P. or go up to Sault Ste. Marie and take 28 across the Northern edge of the U.P. That goes along the Lake Superior shore. Take it all the way across to Houghton and then go up to the Keweenaw Peninsula. There you will have spectacular sights. The Keweenaw Peninsula is breathtaking. Be sure to go to Brockway Mountain up Brockway Drive by Eagle Harbor. On a clear day you can see Isle Royale some 60 miles out in Lake Superior. One of the best rides I have ever been on. That includes going out to Key West and Tail of the Dragon. On M28, stop in Munising and either take the Pictured Rocks Cruise or ride out to Miners Castle. Marquette has some beautiful spots such as Presque Isle Park and Sugar Loaf Mountain. The ride up to Houghton has some excellent wilderness riding on new two lane roads.
If all goes well I'll be in Houghton on Friday and leave Monday. A Copper Country Tour up to Copper Harbor is on the schedule. Lots of mining ghost towns between Houghton and CH to explore as well. One could spend months up there and not see all the nice roads and historical sites.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
post #9 of 21 Old May 23rd, 2010, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the good info. We plan to take five days and try to see as much as possible. I am unsure of how much territory we can cover at this time. Normally we try to cover at least 500 miles a day. Looking forward to it though. Everyone have a gerat week......be safe!

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #10 of 21 Old May 23rd, 2010, 9:47 pm

South Haven just up from St Joe's. Has a very neat Coast Guard museum and their usually building a boat. Also have an old replica schooner that you can help sit the sail's on and take a nice ride on Lake Mich. Then Clementine's for a really good meal in a very neat old building. Enjoy the trip
post #11 of 21 Old May 24th, 2010, 7:38 am

Or just do the ride around Lake Michigan, 1000 miles, 24 hours!

Larry Rosenstiel

2000 CCR - Broken Bow, OK (Beaver Bend Lodge)
2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR (Velda Rose)
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM (Radisson Santa Fe)
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN (Park Vista Resort)
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO (Beaver Run Resort)
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY (Grand Teton National Park)
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA (Chateau Elan and Winery)
2007 CCR - Osage Beach, MO (TAN-TAR-A)
2008 CCR - Midway, UT (Zermatt Resort and Spa)
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD (Ramkota Hotel)
2010 CCR - Killington, VT (Killington Resort)
2011 CCR - Boise, ID (The Doubletree)
2012 CCR - Duluth, MN (The Radisson Hotel Harborview)
2013 CCR - Bend, OR (The Riverhouse Resort)
2014 CCR - Chatanooga, TN (The Chattanoogan Hotel)
2015 CCR - Coeur d'Alene Resort, ID

2014 Kawasaki Concours
03 Suzuki VStrom
78 R80/7
00 Uni-Pooper
post #12 of 21 Old May 24th, 2010, 10:46 am

M22 riding north from Sleeping Bear Dunes up and around the Leelanau Peninsula (nw of Traverse City) is a wonderful ride. Stop at Fishtown in Leland for some chowder!!

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #13 of 21 Old May 24th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well , with only 5 days you will need to figure just were & what you want to see Michigan is big , over 650 mile top to bottom , ... Me.. I like the upper west side of the lower Peninsula & the UP . If you run up I 75 to US 23 at Toledo then north back on to I 75 at Flint , then at Bay City take US 10 to north of Clare to , M115 to Cadillac , then M 55 to Manistee .

You could then take M 22 north up & around the Leelanau Peninsula to Traverse City. There are a few artesian wells on / just off 22 , one in Onekama ( O-neck-ka-ma ) on E. Portage , on the north side of Portage lake . And there is one on Thirteen mile road 4 mile north of Onekama in the town of PierPort . If you turn west on Thirteen mile road , and take it to the end ,.. 1&1/2 miles or so . there is " Old Face Full" artesian well . It's a pipe sticking out of the ground on the south east side of the parking lot . You can go swimming on Like Michigan right there too , if you feal like it . After my folks retired they lived a few miles from there , I swam at that beach for a lot of years . There are a lot of public beaches just off M22 along there . Most every township / or town has a least one .

Went you get to Traverse City , it is kind of like Detroit ...with a Bay , ride acordiley . You could take M 37 north up Old Mission Peninsula , then back down to US 31, north to Petoskey , then take " the tunnel of trees " M119 to Cross Village . There is / was a good place to eat there . Then county road 81 to Mackinaw City . Mackinaw City has a lot of places to stay / camp / eat ..what ever .

You could take the Fairy to Mackinaw Island from there , or across the bridge in Saint Ignace , Fairy's run to both places . Mackinaw Island is a State park , & there are on cars allowed there . It is nice to get out there , it is ether walk , rent a bike , rent a horse & buggy ( kind of fun...drive your owen ) or ride on a big buggy . You can get a lot of the history on one of the Tour co. buggies . We have rented bicycles & road around the hole island ,it is only 5 miles around it .

The history of Saint Ignace / Mackinaw Island / Mackinaw City goes back over 300 years to to 1671 . By 1680 Saint Ignace was the center of the French culture in the Great Lakes .

The UP is quite a nice place , I like the Porcupine Mountains State Park . Also if you get to there , up the Keweenaw Peninsula to copper Harbor .Make sure you go to Brockway Mountain up Brockway Drive by Eagle Harbor .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #14 of 21 Old May 24th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Unfortunately, five days isn't very much time,
and if you're planning to do five hundred mile days
you're not going have time to see the sights, smell the roses or swim in the big lake.

I'll be riding up to Michigan myself in a couple of weeks (for Dads memorial service)
and since I'm riding solo I plan to do five hundred plus mile days also
because I have limited time to get there and back,
but riding like that is not my idea of a vacation.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #15 of 21 Old May 25th, 2010, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Very sorry for your loss Hans. Thanks for the advice. The rid up and ride back will be the fastest. However I do want to take some time out while I'm there. That's why I posted this question. If I have two or three day there, where do I need to spend my time. Thanks again . for all your thoughts. My thought will be with you and your family, God's speed.

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #16 of 21 Old May 25th, 2010, 9:47 pm

With 3 days you could do a ride around the perimeter of the lower peninsula and do a lighthouse tour. It would also afford you a chance to go across the Mackinaw and back to say you've done it. Mackinaw Island could be a afternoon side trip. Many of the roads already mentioned are along the lakeshores and would be travelled getting to the different lighthouses. Just a thought.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
post #17 of 21 Old May 26th, 2010, 11:37 am

Like Matt said, If you could get as far as the Mackinac bridge
the UP is "another world" well worth visiting, there's also some cool waterfalls up there.
just riding across the "Big Mack" is an adventure especially on a windy day.

Just a little "off topic" ride tale:

Some years back I was coming back the northern route from Sturgis
with a plan to visit some friends in Grand Rapids on the way home.

I stopped for the night within sight of "the bridge" so I could cross it in day light (that was a mistake)

next morning as I passed the toll booth all southbound traffic was diverted to the center lane
because they were sandblasting and painting the superstructure.

The Mackinac bridge is made up of two outside lanes of pavement and two center lanes of steel grating.

It was totally nerve wracking to ride those couple of windy miles on grating
with my rear wheel swaying to and fro and a van right on my tail (no manners)

I sure was happy to get off that bridge.

I stopped at the first rest area I came to,
there was another bike in there,
he was smoking a cigarette and his hands were shaking.

Did you just come across that bridge he asked?
I nodded yes, and he said:

I just wanted to get of my bike and crawl across that bridge.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #18 of 21 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I'm riding up to Mich. for the fourth of july. When are you heading that way Tony?. Here's a pic. of what Hans was talking about of the grate on the bridge. I had to ride on the grate a little because the right lane was closed & there was no way I could take a picture until I got off the grate. It is there to alow the wind to pass thru road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010089 crop.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	550.8 KB
ID:	27529  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #19 of 21 Old May 27th, 2010, 2:01 am

Aah yes, the grate ride. Done it several times. Feels like you're on ice with the wheels sliding side to side. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone crashing because of it though.
Just in case you're nervous the Bridge Authority will transport you & the bike across on a trailer if you ask, or at least they used to.

Rick
'05 LT
'01 LT (for parts)

post #20 of 21 Old May 27th, 2010, 11:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Yes ,... the Bridge can be exciting . They paint / repaint the bridge most of the riding season every year . It get's a lot of bad weather on it in the winter , & so it is a never ending maintainance thing . They close the outside lanes a lot when they are working on the bridge , & they work on it most all the summer .

I think the worst time I had crossing it was on my R1100GS with a new set of Continental TKC80's . They had us on the grate all the way .... The knob's really liked the grate . I find if I can keep on an angle to the grate , it isn't too bad . You need to just keep going from one side of the lane to the other . If you go strait , the grate will make your ride kind of twitchy .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #21 of 21 Old May 27th, 2010, 1:01 pm

Smile Re: Michigan and the lake

Highway 61 Revisited:

Take Highway 61 east from Duluth on the north shore of Lake Superior. Stop at Nokomis (restaurant) about 10 miles out of town for lunch. Order the Walleye po' boy and the goat cheesecake for lunch (or anything else for that matter).

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in