Motorcyle Rental / Borrow - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Motorcyle Rental / Borrow

Hi guys... I'm flying back to MI in Aug and I'm looking to either rent or borrow a bike for a ride to the U.P. I called Detroit BMW and they don't rent and didn't know anyone that did. An internet search only turned up MotorCity Harley... and I'm just not that guy. So I thought I would turn to you guys. Any ideas? Advice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Adkins
San Diego (Scripps Ranch), CA

2000 K1200LT Icon Basalt Grey

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Re: Motorcyle Rental / Borrow

Our CCR guests from Finland rented Goldwings in Chicago. Larry Rosenstiel tell you the company...or perhaps google it. I know....still a compromise....but better than nothing.

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #3 of 9 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Yeah I have been doing some searching and I found the place in Chicago. That might be an option. I found a few places in MI through Eagle Rentals, but they only have Harley's in MI. I'll keep digging.

Thanks!

Jeff Adkins

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

post #4 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:34 am Thread Starter

I've done a bunch of searching and renting a motorcycle for a week is expensive. Far too expensive to justify it. I'm thinking it will be easier to buy a bike and then sell it the following week.

So now I'm looking for the best deal I can find on a bike that I can take on a trip for a week with all of my gear. If anyone knows or hears of something, let me know.

Jeff Adkins

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

post #5 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2010, 3:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Expensive it is! I've rented from these folks and with insurance it really adds up!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 9 Old May 3rd, 2010, 5:03 pm

Buy a Suzuki DL650 and re-sell it. That would be my opinion. I'd have to check with my insurance company if you wanted to rent a KLT

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #7 of 9 Old May 4th, 2010, 11:26 am Thread Starter

I'm actually NOT looking to rent an LT... I have one of those! I would like to ride something different so I'm looking for anything that can handle a weeks worth of gear and be comfortable. I'm thinking anything from a GS to a Honda VTX with bags and a windshield... and really anything in between. I like the idea of a dual sport, but I'm not sure I can carry a bunch of stuff on one (unless it has paniers).

I also have a Honda Magna that is stripped to the bare bones, but to me it is far more comfortable to ride than my LT. I really like the cruiser position for riding.

And just an fyi... I'm not a "by the book" kind of person. I will get insurance on it, if I buy it, but I do not plan to register or plate it. I will bring my own plate with me and take my chances. I'm not looking for any comments about this... because I'm pretty sure my mother is not on this forum. lol

I will be on this trip with 8 other guys. This is the 10th year we have done this and I don't want to miss it. I knew it would be tough since I moved to California, but I'm trying to work it out.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and help. Again, if anyone is selling a bike for a good price, let me know!

Jeff Adkins

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

post #8 of 9 Old May 11th, 2010, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

I bought a 2004 Yamaha Silverado 1100 off of craigslist. Advertised for $4000, paid $3700, blue book value $4800. The bike is in great shape, it only has 6000 miles on it!

My father in-law went to look at it, ride it, and brought it home. He said he will have it all polished up when I get there.

Having said that...

I'm selling a 2004 Yamaha Silverado 1100 with approx 7500 miles on it! $4500 obo. Bike will be available on August 16th! HaHaHa...

Wish me luck!

Jeff Adkins

IBA Member # 19537
AMA # 242000
BMW MOA # 111485

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 9:57 am

Good move and good luck on your trip!

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in