How to title in MI (owned in IL) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 6:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

How to title in MI (owned in IL)

I recently picked up a 1985 R80RT and need to title and register it. It will reside at our lake house in MI. I would like to have MI plates on her, but the current title is from IL and that's where insurance was obtained as an addition to the LT.
Does anyone know what I have to do to get MI plates for her? I've read the website for the DMV and it mentions no-fault MI insurance. Is that gonna stop me at the DMV?

Thanks for any input,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 5:46 am

Re: How to title in MI (owned in IL)

I'd keep it titled and licensed in IL. Otherwise, you'll have to pay the exhorbitant MCCA insurance premium each year on your insurance. It's currently around $124/vehicle but will go to $148/vehicle in October. I'm pretty sure you have to have MI insurance to register in MI.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:53 am

Forgive me if I looked the same place you already did, but, this is pretty explicit about MI insurance requirements.

Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance. You must have Michigan no-fault insurance to register a vehicle in Michigan. Out-of-state policies will not be accepted. (Motorcycles must also be insured, but do not require no-fault insurance.)

That was sourced from this page:

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...5972--,00.html

You could call an SOS office, tell them your intent and get an interpretation from them on the steps you seek with respect to the clause above; sometimes they are extremely helpful -- really. If you get a favorable answer (meaning something close to what you seek to do), write down everyone's name you spoke with and use that SOS office in person when it's time.

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 1:27 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, the web seemed very non-specific about motorcycles. Thanks for the link and suggestion to call SOS. I did and "John" stated to me that a motorcycle of an out-of-state owner can be titled and registered in MI, but must have the out-of-state address on both and have 20/40 liability insurance from anywhere.
I will be out of the 15 days to title period, so I get hit with an extra $15 fee. Oh, well.

Thanks for the help,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 3:00 pm

If your primary residence is in Illinois, Then you should keep the bike registered there.
Obviously from what I've already read here Insurance would be much more expensive in MI.

No one has to know where the bike is sheltered.. And I'm not sure they would care.

Your IL insurance is good in whatever state you happen to be driving in.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In Michigan all the car insurance is No Faut , But the motorcycle insurance is not . The MCCA insurance Pays for people that end up being a veg in a nursing home after there insurance runs out . They will pay for motorcycle people that end up there , BUT there had to be a car involved . You can't just crash & burn , A car needed to run you off the road . Basically Motorcycle people pay for the car guys , but the car guys don't help us much .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #7 of 8 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
In Michigan all the car insurance is No Faut , But the motorcycle insurance is not . The MCCA insurance Pays for people that end up being a veg in a nursing home after there insurance runs out . They will pay for motorcycle people that end up there , BUT there had to be a car involved . You can't just crash & burn , A car needed to run you off the road . Basically Motorcycle people pay for the car guys , but the car guys don't help us much .
Plus the assessment is per vehicle registered not per licensed operator. Only state in the union to have this sort of extortion scheme. Ain't it great?!

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 7:57 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
If your primary residence is in Illinois, Then you should keep the bike registered there.
Obviously from what I've already read here Insurance would be much more expensive in MI.

No one has to know where the bike is sheltered.. And I'm not sure they would care.

Your IL insurance is good in whatever state you happen to be driving in.

John
That's the reason I want to go with an MI plate. The fees for title and registration are much less than IL even with a $15 ding for titling it later than 15 days from purchase.. IL insurance is cheaper, so that's where I have it and it works for MI. I don't really care what state the plate comes from.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in