Rides in Chicago Land??????? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Rides in Chicago Land???????

Moving up there from NC (sure gonna miss the Dragon and Blue Ridge)
Interviewing for a job in Warrenville and would like some info on good places to ride (this summer) I thought the shore line of the Mississippi would be good.
Ideas welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Re: Rides in Chicago Land???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman
Interviewing for a job in Warrenville and would like some info on good places to ride (this summer) I thought the shore line of the Mississippi would be good.
Ideas welcome
Hi, You are correct the river roads on both sides is quite nice but actually there are tons of roads in Wisc. from the IL. state line on up.. they are not as challenging but great curves and hills with scenery ! There is a "Rustic Roads" guide for Wisc.. you might Google it and they probably would send you more than you can think of. Northern IL and IN are not very hilly but there are some good roads out there if you want to experiment. Hope you find the area interesting ! and get ready for REAL WINTER !!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:42 pm

There are some amazing roads around Cannon Falls, east through Red Wing to the Mississipi. A bunch of us from the Vincent Owners Club rode through there in September..wonderful scenery, and just enough fast stuff that your right hand won't go to sleep.

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman
Ideas welcome
Hate to burst your bubble, but if you are moving from NC, then the riding here sucks!
As close as I can relate to it is when I learned to ski. I learned in upstate New York, then Colorado, and then went to Wisconsin. Wisconsin was skiing, but that is about it. For you, it will be like now riding on a dragstrip withe lots of traffic.

That being said, thee are some OK roads in Wisconsin, Great River Road on the Mississippi, Galena, etc.

Otherwise we take a day ride down to a place called Deals Gap and ride down there. LOL

Larry Rosenstiel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 CCR - Broken Bow, OK (Beaver Bend Lodge)
2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR (Velda Rose)
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM (Radisson Santa Fe)
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN (Park Vista Resort)
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO (Beaver Run Resort)
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY (Grand Teton National Park)
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA (Chateau Elan and Winery)
2007 CCR - Osage Beach, MO (TAN-TAR-A)
2008 CCR - Midway, UT (Zermatt Resort and Spa)
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD (Ramkota Hotel)
2010 CCR - Killington, VT (Killington Resort)
2011 CCR - Boise, ID (The Doubletree)
2012 CCR - Duluth, MN (The Radisson Hotel Harborview)
2013 CCR - Bend, OR (The Riverhouse Resort)
2014 CCR - Chatanooga, TN (The Chattanoogan Hotel)
2015 CCR - Coeur d'Alene Resort, ID
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Kawasaki Concours
03 Suzuki VStrom
78 R80/7
00 Uni-Pooper
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 9:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, Larry pretty much summed it up correctly. I live in Warrenville, but tend to avoid traffic on my rides. The nearest "interesting" ride is along the North Shore of the lake on Sheridan Road. I can never believe the topography so close to the city. It's a slow ride and really, once you've done it, well... best to do it on an early Sunday morning with the joggers.
It usually takes me a couple hours to get to anything twisty/rolling. There are some small stretches of curves out in the corn fields of Kendall, Kane and DeKalb counties, but they're pretty short lived. There's a really nice part of Rt.71 on the southern edge of Starved Rock that's a lot of fun, but I find you have to turn around and hit it 3/4 times to make it worth the ride out there. I'll go there just to get a hotdog at Grumpy's (Rt 71 & I-80).
Just south of Princeton, IL is some nice rolling land that was formed on the western side of the Illinois river. There's also a lot of gravel roads to navigate through that kind of sour the moments. I still get out there when I can.
My favorite area, as Larry mentioned, is out around Galena, IL. Awesome roads are Blackjack and Stagecoach, with a lot of minor roads around them to seek out.
Getting out a bit further are the WI roads. Anything North and West of Monroe, WI are getting to be good rides. I seek out the cheese factories in the area. There's probably 6-8 of them around Monroe west to Darlington. The further North into Wi you go the better things get. West of Madison, along the Wisconsin River is really fun. I have to thank John from Mt. Horab for the tour he gave a few of us 2 summers ago. North of The WI river gets ever better for hilly, twisty routes. Just outside of La Crosse is a road that has the Mindoro Cut which I found to be a great ride. It was previously mentioned to check out "Rustic Roads", and another that I use is has maps of different WI regions to ride.
Best of luck on your move and let us Midwesterners know when you get ready to ride the area.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 9:55 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbyk
Hate to burst your bubble, but if you are moving from NC, then the riding here sucks!
As close as I can relate to it is when I learned to ski. I learned in upstate New York, then Colorado, and then went to Wisconsin. Wisconsin was skiing, but that is about it.
Most of the ski hills around here are man made.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
Most of the ski hills around here are man made.
Yep, here's where I do my skiing. <--click here.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Gearman, there are many nice rides here in Wisconsin. As mentioned by others, the Great River Road along both sides of the Mississippi River offers some great scenic curvy roads from Prairie du Chien,WI all the way up to Redwing,MN . Most of the locks on the river offer viewing platforms to observe the barge traffic locking through on their way up or down the river. The area around Devils Lake State Park and Baraboo is nice and you can follow Hwy.33 till it hits Wildcat Mt. State Park just east of Ontario. This has to be about the curviest road I have found in WI. Some call it the Deals Gap of WI. The roads around Wildcat Mt. are all fantastic. Heading west on 33 is LaCrosse and you can catch the Mississippi there and run it in either direction on either side and you won't be disappointed. If you want to see northeastern Wi take twisty Hwy.187 out of Shiocton to Cnty. K to Hwy 55 in Shawano. Then on up through the Indian Reservation on 55. Beautiful year round, and especially in the fall. Nice twisty well paved road follows the Wolf River.

I would suggest you buy a Wisconsin Atlas and Gazetteer by DeLorme. I don't ever leave home without it. Just too much detail of back roads that you won't find on any other map. I just listed a few of my favorite areas. If you want to know more, PM me and we can chat.

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 13th, 2009, 4:34 pm

+1 on the Stagecoach Road west of Rockford (actually Freeport to Geneva).

Let me recommend to you the Chicago Region BMW Club . Besides the usual rides and meetings, they do Monday Night Hot Dog runs that will take you to some interesting places from March to November.

Wisconsin publishes maps of their Rustic Roads and will sent you a patch for riding 10 of them, I think. Just take pix of the signs. They are fun, and they start about 50 miles from Warrenville.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 20th, 2009, 7:13 am

I spent ten years down there in Chicago land, pretty flat. Moved back up here 15 years ago close to home. I live just outside Hudson Wi, born and raised about 40 miles north of La Cross Wi. I have taken people on rides from the Twin Cities in this part of Wi. , mostly back roads. All they could say is they had no idea it was like this. If you get up this way give me yell, be more than happy to show you around.
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 11:26 am

I took a trip with a old friend to Hudson this year. We stayed at a old friend's of his place. Nice area and across the river the Mongolian Buffet was great!
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/P1010219.jpg
Morels, um Good!
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/P1010220.jpg
Kirk was his name. Lots of hobbies!
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/P1010212.jpg

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in