Short notice for a "MINI" tech session !! Lafayette IN. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 12:07 am Thread Starter

Short notice for a "MINI" tech session !! Lafayette IN.

Well .. Last weekend my riding buddy and I were troubleshooting a tail light failure that we solved, but this resulted in a low battery that tacked the starter relay and a few scary minutes with a Battery attempting to self destruct !!!

As a result we have the need to dive into his LT and replace the relay and a new battery at least !!! Instead of just doing those 2 things, he is at a major mileage point and we might as well do some of the service we can while the tank is off !! So I think we are planning fuel filter, air filter, new quick disconnects, fluids perhaps and as he has a new set of shocks... we may as well do those as well !! I would even consider doing a weep hole fix as I have the tools but we have not done one yet.. It would be nice to have an experienced assist to tackle that I think .. But in any case We have a pretty long list of things we could tackle for the experienced wrenches as well as any newbies that just want to begin with their machines.. Oh yes.. I have several things I could do to my LT as well.. SO.. what do you think.. anybody interested in a visit this Saturday Aug 1 as we are anxious to get Jim back on his bike in good order ! I will check the thread tomorrow several times .. If some of you are interested and have things you would like to do to your machines I am sure we can make the effort to do that as well. I don't have endless space but if needed we can even get access to a 2nd lift and hope for good weather !!! .. I am sure we can find food and drink to make it a complete day as well.

Sorry for the short notice, but sometimes unplanned events work well too.

Bill
4029 Willowood Dr.
Lafayette IN.
765-430-7696 cell

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 12:38 am

Re: Short notice for a "MINI" tech session !! Lafayette IN.

Might be able to free up relay buy charging battery, then with key on but kill switch off, touch positive cable to battery while hitting starter button several time till starter relay releases (hopefully).
Read it hear someplace and it worked for me.

EDIT:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...=starter+relay

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Wink Re: Short notice for a "MINI" tech session !! Lafayette IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Might be able to free up relay buy charging battery, then with key on but kill switch off, touch positive cable to battery while hitting starter button several time till starter relay releases (hopefully).
Read it hear someplace and it worked for me.

EDIT:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...=starter+relay

Thanks Doug !! We may give that a try too.. old battery is DOA though !! Swelled and scary.. Bill

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:19 am

Bill,
good luck on your tech session. If I didn't have to work I would be interested. Sounds like an extensive list of items to do in a day. It took two of us around 6 hours to replace both shocks. This includes removing and reinstalling the tupperware. Also includes removing the remote spring adjuster from the stock shock and installing on the new shock. Was also our first time so this makes things go a little slower.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:57 am

What time?...and will it be at the address listed in your original post? If I can get clearance from "the tower", I just might make the trip and can offer a helping hand, or at the very least, morale support!!

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
What time?...and will it be at the address listed in your original post? If I can get clearance from "the tower", I just might make the trip and can offer a helping hand, or at the very least, morale support!!
Hi !! We expect to start around 0900 .. but you are absolutely welcome anytime .. come on down.. will be good to see another fairly local LT !! Bill

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Oops.. Yes .. address listed in the original post is correct !! any questions or last minute directions.. call my cell listed at the top as well !!

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 12:54 am

Can't make it this time, but give me a shout in the future. I'm only @ 1 1/2 hours from there. Know the way quite well since I ran work for a company over there in the mid 90's. I still have lots to learn about these wonderful machines.....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2009, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Can't make it this time, but give me a shout in the future. I'm only @ 1 1/2 hours from there. Know the way quite well since I ran work for a company over there in the mid 90's. I still have lots to learn about these wonderful machines.....

Absolutely Will do that .. I am sure we need another session soon for my next service and I need to do a complete Brake flush on my 05'.. W actually plan to finish Sunday AM on Jim's LT.. we accomplished a bunch, but ran short of day and good light.. Completed diagnose and fix of stuck starter relay (replaced) new Panasonic AGM battery, fuel filter, installed fuel line quick disconnects, LED lamps on the Moto Lights, high beam headlight modulator, flush and fill coolant, replaced stock shocks with beautiful new Ohlin's.. and more...WHEW.. So AM we have only left to finish trans oil change, Heavy Duty shift linkage and get her Tupperware back on !! Sorry we didn't have much advance notice this time.. I will do better next time so hopefully we can have a good number of the area folks show up !! Bill

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 7:38 am

Glad things went well. I would have come over but I already had a gun class scheduled in the morning. If you do the brake flush, and haven't already changed to SS lines, I would plan on doing that at the same time. I have 60K on my '99 and flushed the brakes 2 weeks ago. As I was flushing, I saw little black specs in the fluid as it changed from dark to light. I had a heck of a time getting the left pistons pushed back in, and once the flush was done, the brakes didn't feel well. The next day, coming home from work, the right line split. so, I put SS lines on. The left line that goes to the caliper was blocked and would not even pass air when it was removed. The upper line that goes from the junction block to the frame was split.

I am not going to say it was easy to change them, but it wasn't all that bad. The worse one is the one from the rear master cylinder up to the frame.

I put black Spiegler's on. I ordered direct from the company in Dayton, OH and they were here the next day (at least for those of us in Indiana).

$240 for brake lines is steep, but I am convinced the OEM ones are crap. I know my bike has always had regular fluid changes, so I was surprised when the lines didn't last 60K. The SS lines to feel a little better (stiffer). I don't know that I would change to SS just for the improved braking alone, but certainly with the short life span of the OEM lines, I would get them off.

Regards,
Larry

'99 K1200LT

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Cow
Glad things went well. I would have come over but I already had a gun class scheduled in the morning. If you do the brake flush, and haven't already changed to SS lines, I would plan on doing that at the same time. I have 60K on my '99 and flushed the brakes 2 weeks ago. As I was flushing, I saw little black specs in the fluid as it changed from dark to light. I had a heck of a time getting the left pistons pushed back in, and once the flush was done, the brakes didn't feel well. The next day, coming home from work, the right line split. so, I put SS lines on. The left line that goes to the caliper was blocked and would not even pass air when it was removed. The upper line that goes from the junction block to the frame was split.

I am not going to say it was easy to change them, but it wasn't all that bad. The worse one is the one from the rear master cylinder up to the frame.

I put black Spiegler's on. I ordered direct from the company in Dayton, OH and they were here the next day (at least for those of us in Indiana).

$240 for brake lines is steep, but I am convinced the OEM ones are crap. I know my bike has always had regular fluid changes, so I was surprised when the lines didn't last 60K. The SS lines to feel a little better (stiffer). I don't know that I would change to SS just for the improved braking alone, but certainly with the short life span of the OEM lines, I would get them off.

Wow.. glad you were not on the road or at CCR like a couple were a year back and have a split !! You make me think I mighe want to do the SS lines on my 05' early as well as Jim's 00' .. I really need to do a complete system flush now on my 05.. so it might be a good time to do so. PS.. Jim has an almost new feeling bike after the weekend and the new Ohlins .. what a difference .. I get to test ride soon and then see if I need them too :<)

PS.. gun class ?? are you teaching or attending.. I am an avid shooter !!

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:22 am

Sorry I wasn't able to make it down Sat morning fellas. Ended up running a bunch of other errands and doing chores. Maybe next time. Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm

Just saw your post today. Sorry I missed it but will try to make the next one. Just by watching the posts on this site I have realize that there are more LT's around here than I thought.

Dave Van Zee
Mulberry IN

'00 K1200LT (Current ride)
'96 Honda PC800 (past ride)
'84 Kawasaki 600 (past ride)
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
PS.. gun class ?? are you teaching or attending.. I am an avid shooter !!
Attending. I went to a Utah Non-Resident class in Gas City, IN. By adding a Utah permit with my Indiana Lifetime permit, I can carry in 33 states. I have just started shooting IDPA and am planning to come to Wildcat Valley in Brookston sometime (maybe next weekend). Have you shot IDPA? Maybe we need a N Central Indiana RTS (Ride to Shoot)

Regards,
Larry

'99 K1200LT

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchshadow
Just saw your post today. Sorry I missed it but will try to make the next one. Just by watching the posts on this site I have realize that there are more LT's around here than I thought.

Hi Dave.. sure seems so.. we need to get more active as a group and have an occasional ride on a weekend as well as Tech sessions.. Seems I see more and more Beemers around here.. not all LT's.. but just nice to see them !

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in