Ill. Motorcycle Driver Test - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old May 20th, 2009, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Ill. Motorcycle Driver Test

Has amy body taken the Illinois motorcycle driving test on a K12200LT?
How in the world did you do the 12ft apart cones in the slalom test.

DON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old May 20th, 2009, 3:24 pm

Re: Ill. Motorcycle Driver Test

Borrow a smaller bike! I used my 650 Maxim with no problems. With the propensity these things have for tipping over at low/no speeds I think you would be asking for trouble.

I'm pretty sure if your bike suddenly decided to lay down for a nap you would probably score a zero.

Washington State no longer has endorsements based on engine displacement. If you take the test on a Honda 90 step through and pass you can jump on your LT and ride off into the sunset. A Honda 90 or a 250 Rebel would be ideal. You would feel like you are riding a skateboard! They used to have a 500 cc cutoff with a separate endorsement. If this is the case where you live I would probably try to borrow a sport bike. Light, agile and nimble to the extreme! A cake walk through the slalom course!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 19 Old May 20th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsobeck

DON
I took the test on a Goldwing and was able to get through the slalom without mowing too many of them down. Keep in mind that you don't have to do everything perfect. They have some kind of weighted grading scale and deduct some points for each cone or a foot down. Dropping the bike is an immediate disqualification. The tester I had (in Schaumburg) told me that he was more lenient with riders who took the test on large bikes. Having said that, if I had to take the test again, I would try to borrow a smaller bike.

Another alternative is to enroll in the Illinois Motorcycle Education Basic class. It is done over a weekend. They supply you with a small bike to use for the entire class. When you successfully complete the class, they give you an endorsement that you take to the motor vehicle department where you can apply for your license without having to take the written and road tests. Click Here for more info. The classes may be filled for this year but it may be possible to just show up at a session in case there are no shows.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Not all those who wander are lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old May 20th, 2009, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb

Another alternative is to enroll in the Illinois Motorcycle Education Basic class. It is done over a weekend. They supply you with a small bike to use for the entire class. When you successfully complete the class, they give you an endorsement that you take to the motor vehicle department where you can apply for your license without having to take the written and road tests. Click Here for more info. The classes may be filled for this year but it may be possible to just show up at a session in case there are no shows.

Plus1,
I took the test on a 125cc Honda. Spent almost 2 full days riding back and forth in a parking lot. I thought I would be board but had fun.

My wife and daughters took the class and 2 of them had never been on a bike. I have taken it twice, you learn a lot and it is FUN!! And you get % off your insurance. I am still trying to get in the advanced class but it fills up in less then 30 seconds (NO JOKE).

post #5 of 19 Old May 20th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Quote:

DON
Best thing to do is take the Illinois Motorcycle Education Basic class. If you can't do that, borrow a smaller bike to take the test, but practice first. If you can't borrow a smaller bike. Buy a copy of the DVD 'Ride Like A Pro' by Jerry "Motorman" Palladino. Watch it & do the drills. With a little practice, you should be able to do those cones with ease. You will also be able to take off from a full wheel lock position. Even if you do take the course or borrow a smaller bike, I think you'll find that DVD extremely helpful in learning to handle the big beast.

BTW, rather than buying cones to practice with, buy some tennis balls & cut them in half. Easy to see & if you ride over them, it's not a big deal. Plus they're cheaper than cones.

Good luck with your test.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #6 of 19 Old May 20th, 2009, 9:45 pm

When I practiced for the sidecar test I used Mt. Dew cans. It is amazing how flat a soda can gets when it gets assaulted by the wheel of a sidecar! It sure makes you concentrate on your skills after you see a couple cans of Dew wasted. Musta worked though as I got a 98 on the test.

Best of luck. Remember, they really want you to pass. In my experience the MC testers have always been very cool to work with.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #7 of 19 Old May 20th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Try to get into the class. They have 125cc dirt bukes there.

Quote:

DON

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 19 Old May 21st, 2009, 12:17 am

After reading the posts above I agree with taking the basic skills course. Especially if you are new to riding OR you have been riding for so long you have become complacent.

I would still use a smaller bike in te meantime if you can't get into the class soon enough to meet your needs. Anybody have a set of the DVD's mentioned in Sonnata's post they would like to sell on the cheap?

I love practicing skills! PM me if you do.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #9 of 19 Old May 21st, 2009, 12:38 am

If the motorcycle safety course is using the MSF ciricullum, one of the exercises has 15-foot spaced cones with a 3-ft offset on one side of the range; 20-foot spaced cones with 8-ft offset. Neither are an issue on the LT. Drag the rear brake to slow, ease up on the brake to speed up; with the dry clutch, I don't use the friction zone for these maneuvers.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #10 of 19 Old May 21st, 2009, 12:48 am

I took the test many years ago on an 80' Yamaha XS-850. They do make allow for larger bikes to make wider turns. My son, who got out of the army and passed the driving test last summer on a Buell 900cc bike was less that perfect, but passed.

+1 for taking the class if you can get into one. If its like most years, they are full through the fall and have long waiting lists. But the entry level course is still worth doing, IMHO.

If you do go on the 1200LT, be sure to practice a lot of one-up, slow speed maneuvers. The Ride Like A Pro V DVD (Jerry Palladino) has several slow speed weave practice drills that you can lay out in the lot of a closed up store or Sunday morning at the local high school parking lot, as long as its not graduation weekend. Small cones can be had cheaply in the sporting goods department at Wally World, Target, or most sporting goods stores - near the soccer gear.

As David Hough and others say, don't look where you don't want to go. If you look at the ground, you will tip. If you stare at the cones, you will hit them. Use peripheral vision. If you get used to running the LT slow with high RPM and "dipping" around the cones, you can with practice, make it through 12' apart cones. The payback for the practice will come in parking lots and big rides for years to come.
Wild Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #11 of 19 Old May 21st, 2009, 1:21 am

Also, in Illinois, the state motorcycle training courses are managed by the Illinois DOT through state schools. NIU, ISU, SIU and U of I, and while they are roughly geographically located near the schools, its not quite what you might think.

For example, the Harper College site is managed by U of I in Champaign. Its not too far from you, but it perpetually full and the first class with an opening on the waiting list is in September. But there are lots of sites. Classes are free. Registration is on-line. Good luck.

UIUC - http://www.mrp.uiuc.edu/

NIU - http://www.outreach.niu.edu/mcycle/

ISU - http://www.motorcyclesafety.ilstu.edu/

SIU - http://mrp.siuc.edu/

IDOT - http://www.dot.state.il.us/cycle2.html

From I DOT:

Those who successfully complete the course will be issued a completion card from the Illinois Cycle Rider Safety Training Program, which is recognized by many insurance companies for premium discounts. This completion card will enable 16 and 17 year olds to apply for an M classification on their driver license. Person 18 years of age or older who successfully complete the course will have the written and riding examination waived at the driver services facility.

The BRC consists of 20 hours of instruction with motorcycles and helmets furnished.

Wild Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #12 of 19 Old May 21st, 2009, 10:35 pm

Back in the day only 16-17 year old could ride a 150cc and under cycles(L classification). Has it changed in ILL?
I got a ticket for riding my 1966 Honda 160cc with the L class licensein 76'.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #13 of 19 Old May 22nd, 2009, 8:16 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

In Illinois you have to have a licence to drive a motorcycle who knew

I took the test first on a 125 cc so as stated above I had a L class at first.
I moved up to a 400 cc and took it again for my M class. I would say that taking the test on the LT would be difficult.
I did have an interesting conversation with one of the employees after the written portion of the test, she accused me of cheating because I did not get any of the questions wrong.
Do I look that stupid, don't answer

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #14 of 19 Old May 22nd, 2009, 9:15 pm

The test was not very tough back when you took it, now was it?

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #15 of 19 Old May 23rd, 2009, 8:20 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
The test was not very tough back when you took it, now was it?
No it was not, but I did ask for a copy to put up on my moms fridge

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #16 of 19 Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:49 am

Don't want to say I'm old but when I took my motorcycle driving test (small town, down state IL) the instructor had me do a figure eight in the parking lot. He then said ride around the block, if you make it back you passed. I had to take the test on my sister's boyfriends 250 Yamaha Enduro because the horn and turn signals were broke on my 73 Honda CB400.

Will Hedgspeth
03LTE
post #17 of 19 Old May 24th, 2009, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkswan
Don't want to say I'm old but when I took my motorcycle driving test (small town, down state IL) the instructor had me do a figure eight in the parking lot. He then said ride around the block, if you make it back you passed. I had to take the test on my sister's boyfriends 250 Yamaha Enduro because the horn and turn signals were broke on my 73 Honda CB400.

Will Hedgspeth
03LTE
Pretty much the same experience here, except it was on a 900 Kaw. I did a search one time trying to figure out when Illinois instituted the motorcycle license, with no results. The only reason I say that is that a friend & myself got busted when we were 15 by a state cop for no drivers license. I was riding a Harley 165 2-stroke, & he a Cushman Eagle. I remember well that cop chewing my dad's a$$ out, saying he wasn't going to put a 15 yr. old boy in jail, but he would him if he caught me out on it again. (sigh) I was restricted to our yard & the neighbors back yard for the next year. Had a big figure 8 carved in the grass. Nobody was happier than our neighbors for me to get my drivers license.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #18 of 19 Old May 28th, 2009, 10:19 am

Here is a test for all. I managed 90%, BFD. I never took any course besides the one to race at Blackhawk.
http://www.nationaldriverstest.com/n...t/ndt-test.php

post #19 of 19 Old May 28th, 2009, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

There was no test when I got my first motorcycle endorsement. Fifty cents and I was a bonafide motorcyclist but that was about 35 years ago. My son started riding this year and I took the MSF basic course with him. I had a blast since it was someone elses cycle I was peg-dragging with. I don't know about your state but in Kansas the MSF class substitutes for the riding exam. In any case it's great training if you want to check into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in