SE Ohio rides - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 10:16 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

SE Ohio rides

Hi All,

I've been looking at the SE Ohio area twisties for a very long time and now plan to explore the area in early July.
Looking at all areas South and Southeast of Columbus and eventually heading up the East side to end up at the
Rock & Roll HOF after 3 solid days of riding what appear to be great opportunities for the LT.

I'd really appreciate any input on "must ride" roads/areas. Places to stay (I really like the roadside motels where the
bike is parked right outside the room's window). Road conditions. Local out of the way places to get good home cooking...

I've looked at routes on motorcycleroads.com and could never enjoy all of them in the time I have, so I'm
looking forward to hearing from anyone that's enjoyed the SE Ohio twisties. Maybe even a few recommended
routes from the motorcycleroads site.

Thanks,
Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 15th, 2016, 11:44 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: SE Ohio rides

I guess I'll go with motorcyclerides.com and just happen upon the small town restaurants as I go.

Jer
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 15th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Maybe this will help.
Reader Ride - Eastern Ohio | RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel Magazine

This one is better;
The Best Routes: Ohio
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=111

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

Last edited by want2tour; Jun 15th, 2016 at 12:26 pm.

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 15th, 2016, 5:31 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Got 'em!!! Even found a diner in Lisbon.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Great place to eat, closed on Sunday.

Too many good roads to list but here are a few.
SR26 from Marietta to Woodsfield.
SR260, 800, 536, 78, 255, 564.........Basically everything in the triangle south of I-70, east of I-77 and down to the Ohio river. Cross the river on the Sisterville ferry and ride some in WV if you have time or just ride the ferry over and cross back over on the bridge at New Martinsville.

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 16th, 2016, 5:18 pm

The Big Muskie Bucket is cool, on SR78 east of McConnelsville close to Reinersville.

Kiedaisch Point Park
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ki...!4d-80.8708636

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 17th, 2016, 10:33 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Too many good roads to list but here are a few.
SR26 from Marietta to Woodsfield.
SR260, 800, 536, 78, 255, 564.........Basically everything in the triangle south of I-70, east of I-77 and down to the Ohio river. Cross the river on the Sisterville ferry and ride some in WV if you have time or just ride the ferry over and cross back over on the bridge at New Martinsville.
Awesome! Exactly what I needed to know. How prevalent are gravel roads in the area?

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 17th, 2016, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
Awesome! Exactly what I needed to know. How prevalent are gravel roads in the area?

Thanks,
Jer
If you want gravel roads you won't have any problem finding them off of those routes.

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 17th, 2016, 11:47 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
If you want gravel roads you won't have any problem finding them off of those routes.
LOL. Nope, just looking to avoid them on the LT.

Thanks again,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #10 of 15 Old Jun 17th, 2016, 12:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

We will be riding back through Southern Ohio on 7/2 from our trip out to the NE. Prior replies offered some good suggestions on roads and websites. You could also search on "windy nine ohio" and get some more tips on roads to ride.

Heck, we may even pass by you when you're in the area.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

IBA Saddlesore 1000

post #11 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2016, 3:38 pm

I have been away for a few days so am just now catching up. Take a look at ohios-windy-9
Also the 555 is a real nice road south of Zanesville down to the river.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #12 of 15 Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 3:48 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Dennis, Scott,

Great suggestions on the Windy-9. Got 'em loaded in the GPS. Needed a bit of modification as some routes produce some u-turns. But, 99.9% awesome! Nice, also, to have lunch and attraction suggestions in the area. The flyer describing the routes are 'in the mail'.
Seems like I'm all set except I won't be leaving for 2-weeks!

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #13 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
I have been away for a few days so am just now catching up. Take a look at ohios-windy-9
Also the 555 is a real nice road south of Zanesville down to the river.
That's a real nice link to routes that provide a great "taste" of SE Ohio roads. I ride that area every couple of weeks and I see a few roads I've missed.

Besides the roads mentioned, a bit further east and north SR83 and SR78(east of MConnelsville to the Ohio River) are very nice for riding with good pavement and sweeping curves. Much of the area near I-77 was strip-mined for coal in the '60s and 70's. Homes and farms were removed, the topsoil disappeared, heavy equipment destroyed the roads. It was pretty ugly for awhile. After lots of "reclamation" the land is green, with trees and grasslands, and the roads were rebuilt. Most farms have not come back because there is no topsoil, the trees are not yet big enough for logging, the coal is gone, and there are few local jobs so the population is sparse. Most of the land is still owned by the power company. As a result, there is little traffic, only occasional trucks to damage the road, few intersecting driveways, and very little gravel or dirt on the road - all advantages for motorcycle riding.

As JimJim mentioned earlier, most any road in that corner of the state will be entertaining, especially if you stay on the State Routes. Expect more truck traffic as you near the Ohio River, those are the areas with logging, fracking and manufacturing. Set your waypoints carefully and check your itinerary because I've had my GPS send me down many gravel roads, some of which turned into two-tracks (I'm actually getting more comfortable on gravel - maybe I'll get out of 2nd gear someday.) If you have the time to plan ahead, a satellite view from Google usually makes the gravel apparent.

Personally, I do not like the one road everybody talks about - State Route 555. Portions are narrow, with very tight curves and lots of sharp, blind hills. Many times you cannot tell where the road will go until you are within 10 feet of the top of the hill. Gravel on the pavement is common due to many driveways and vehicles dropping off the inside of the curves. Even at 35mph there is no time to see the scenery. This is the only road I've ever been on that made me feel nauseous while riding.

Enjoy your trip!

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #14 of 15 Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 8:54 pm

Just realized you are coming down from Cleveland, wanted home cookin', and we ignored the area north of I-70. Holmes County has a large Amish population with numerous homestyle restaurants. All the fried chicken, roast beef, mashed taters and gravy you could want. Or maybe a good farm breakfast with fresh eggs, ham or sausage. Google the area around Millersburg, Berlin, Walnut Creek, Sugarcreek and Charm.

The area north of Wooster-Canton is a little too heavily populated for good riding, I think. I just stick to the freeways. State Routes 83 and 93 are good roads to get you further south. Horses and buggies are common - watch for slippery "exhaust".

You can just look at a satellite view of eastern/southern Ohio - any curvy road in the dark green part will be fine.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 24th, 2016, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkraus View Post

Personally, I do not like the one road everybody talks about - State Route 555. Portions are narrow, with very tight curves and lots of sharp, blind hills. Many times you cannot tell where the road will go until you are within 10 feet of the top of the hill. Gravel on the pavement is common due to many driveways and vehicles dropping off the inside of the curves. Even at 35mph there is no time to see the scenery. This is the only road I've ever been on that made me feel nauseous while riding.

Enjoy your trip!
Glad you mentioned some of the concerns on 555. My first trip on the road was north-bound on a hot, humid and miserable day after I was already hot, tired and miserable myself. Couldn't wait to get off. My opinions were they same. But I had to try it again the next year. I rode it again last summer south-bound, took it easy, stopped a few times to enjoy 'rustic americana' and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Not a speed run by any means because of many short visibility situations.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in