BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Announcing: Ohio Tech Session II

6K views 85 replies 14 participants last post by  mwnahas 
#1 ·
Back by popular request, it's another Ohio Tech Session!

Date: Saturday, August 19, 2006

Time: 9:00 a.m. Arrive sooner if you want to. Arrive later if you need to.

Location: 4735 Gun Barrel Rd. NE, Rushville, OH. Fairfield County, about 1 hour SE of Columbus.

Selected info repeated from the previous tech session announcement:

1. It's a very rural setting, on 3 acres surrounded by farms with just a couple of houses nearby, and 15 minutes from the fabulous Hocking Hills. Did you like STC II? You'll like the Hocking Hills. Same roads, just smaller hills.

2. 30x40 detached garage, with concrete floor, electric, hot/cold water, lights, FRIDGE, 4 overhead doors, 20x52 concrete patio (10x40 under cover), and a LIFT (courtesy of Jim Sciullo).

3. Gravel drive leads from a paved road to this building. The gravel is very stable and compacted until you reach the bottom of the drive, 50' before the building. Watch your step. Ride right onto the concrete apron and park it in formation for picture-taking after lunch.

4. Plenty of room for tent camping if you want to stay overnight. Closest hotels are in Lancaster, about 15 minutes away.

5. Door Prizes: We had great door prizes last time. I won't ask our local dealer to be as generous as they were last month, but I will ask them to throw in a couple of goodies. I also have some items in mind that I will contribute.

6. Lunch will be served, catered by my catering wife, a fabulous cook. I will ask for donations to offset that expense, please. (Yes, Rock, those baked beans will be served again!)

7. Riders of all brands and models are welcome. A special GT parking area will be provided -- in the woods behind the house. ATV shuttles will bring GT riders to and from the Tech Session. :D

No ideas yet on what work is to be done. If you are attending please reply by copy/pasting my name, site name and work into your reply; add your name and any services/installs you are thinking about doing or having done.

The line forms here:

Howard Schisler; hschisler; remove top case (I know it's lame), oil change, run Icom power cable and PTT cable to Baehr intercom, program Icom radio

See less See more
#3 ·
At Top of the Rockies, I should have put a "viewing fee - 1 beer ticket" jar on my bike. I could have gotten pretty ripped with all the eyes on the bike.

#7 ·
Florian said:
Do you have a special wider entry door for the GTs there....those heads are pretty big I suspect... :p
The overheard doors are 8' wide. Joe used to fit before he got the GT.

Could be problematic now. :D

In an ideal world at least one other GT will show up, taking all the attention away from Joe's bike. :D

#8 ·
hschisler said:
The overheard doors are 8' wide. Joe used to fit before he got the GT.

Could be problematic now. :D

In an ideal world at least one other GT will show up, taking all the attention away from Joe's bike. :D
Joe might even let me ride down with him as well....Im sure I gotta stay behind him.......(I dont think I could get past him with that hotrod GT)

F

#9 ·
Florian said:
Joe might even let me ride down with him as well....Im sure I gotta stay behind him.......(I dont think I could get past him with that hotrod GT)
That would be cool. And don't worry, I'll let you lead for a bit. I find it boring to always lead, or always follow. I enjoy changing positions...as it changes perspective.

Besides...how else will I be able to effectively criticize your riding skills unless I follow you for awhile? :D

#10 ·
Ohio Tech Session II

Howard Schisler; hschisler; remove top case (I know it's lame), oil change, run Icom power cable and PTT cable to Baehr intercom, program Icom radio

David Belcher; Roadkingedout; throttle cable replacement..
(If anyone has done one, please chime in, I don't know what it involves).

#11 ·
messenger13 said:
That would be cool. And don't worry, I'll let you lead for a bit. I find it boring to always lead, or always follow... Besides...how else will I be able to effectively criticize your riding skills unless I follow you for awhile? :D
Joe, I feel really certain you meant to say "critique", not "criticize"... didn't you?? :)

#13 ·

David Belcher; Roadkingedout; throttle cable replacement..
(If anyone has done one, please chime in, I don't know what it involves).

Joe P.; messenger13; 6K service on a K1200GT; CANbus overview; GPS demonstration; whipping boy

#14 ·
1. Howard Schisler; hschisler; remove top case (I know it's lame), oil change, run Icom power cable and PTT cable to Baehr intercom, program Icom radio
2. David Belcher; Roadkingedout; throttle cable replacement..(If anyone has done one, please chime in, I don't know what it involves).
3. Joe P.; messenger13; 6K service on a K1200GT; CANbus overview; GPS demonstration; whipping boy
4. Bob Darkey; darkey; RP1 Duo intercom install; rookie observer and note taker

#15 ·
Well, we are going to try to make this one. Any other women going to be there besides Howard's wife and would she (Howard's wife) welcome any help? Mostly there to meet and help as able. Plus haven't been to the Hocking Hills for a few years. I will maybe do a canisterectomy on my bike if the materials and time are available.

1. Howard Schisler; hschisler; remove top case (I know it's lame), oil change, run Icom power cable and PTT cable to Baehr intercom, program Icom radio
2. David Belcher; Roadkingedout; throttle cable replacement..(If anyone has done one, please chime in, I don't know what it involves).
3. Joe P.; messenger13; 6K service on a K1200GT; CANbus overview; GPS demonstration; whipping boy
4. Bob Darkey; darkey; RP1 Duo intercom install; rookie observer and note taker
5. John & Judy Bowles ; bowlesj; canisterectomy and GT gazing.

#17 ·
Reporting in from Erie, PA on the way to BMWMOA Rally

bowlesj said:
Well, we are going to try to make this one. Any other women going to be there besides Howard's wife and would she (Howard's wife) welcome any help? Mostly there to meet and help as able. Plus haven't been to the Hocking Hills for a few years. I will maybe do a canisterectomy on my bike if the materials and time are available.
Hey John,

So far your wife Judy is the first lady on the attendee list. She's welcome, of course! There was a good bit of discussion of this topic in the original Tech Session thread. (the general discussion was: will wives be bored at the Tech Session, etc.; I provided a list of interesting things to see and do in nearby Lancaster if they don't want to watch the wrenching). Lisa will have most of the things already made on Saturday morning and will welcome the help in carrying the goodies from house to barn, setting up, clean up, etc.

Are you spending the night somewhere close, and then riding in Saturday morning? We have a big yard if you want to camp. Very rural and quiet (except for tree frogs, crickets, and cattle in a nearby pasture).

#18 ·
hschisler said:
Back by popular request, it's another Ohio Tech Session!

7. Riders of all brands and models are welcome. A special GT parking area will be provided -- in the woods behind the house. ATV shuttles will bring GT riders to and from the Tech Session. :D
In the woods Behind the house; Ain't that where your sharpshooter son, has replaced groundhogs with GT siloettes?

For service I was thinking about letting rookies practice their bike cleaning tech on the LTA :D
Rock

#19 ·
hschisler said:
Hey John,

So far your wife Judy is the first lady on the attendee list. She's welcome, of course! There was a good bit of discussion of this topic in the original Tech Session thread. (the general discussion was: will wives be bored at the Tech Session, etc.; I provided a list of interesting things to see and do in nearby Lancaster if they don't want to watch the wrenching). Lisa will have most of the things already made on Saturday morning and will welcome the help in carrying the goodies from house to barn, setting up, clean up, etc.

Are you spending the night somewhere close, and then riding in Saturday morning? We have a big yard if you want to camp. Very rural and quiet (except for tree frogs, crickets, and cattle in a nearby pasture).
We'll be staying with our daughter in Gahanna. Thanks for the offer though. My wife would come because she knows how much of a burden us men can be on them there women, and she likes to help. Not so worried about her being bored. If Lisa doesn't mind company, Judy would probably like to tag along, however, she WILL NOT watch the wrenching uh-uh:sleep:

#20 ·
bowlesj said:
We'll be staying with our daughter in Gahanna. Thanks for the offer though. My wife would come because she knows how much of a burden us men can be on them there women, and she likes to help. Not so worried about her being bored. If Lisa doesn't mind company, Judy would probably like to tag along, however, she WILL NOT watch the wrenching uh-uh:sleep:
Gahanna? Cool -- nice to have local connections. FYI, allow 1 hour from Gahanna to my place. Looking forward to meeting you folks.

#21 ·
UncleRock said:
In the woods Behind the house; Ain't that where your sharpshooter son, has replaced groundhogs with GT siloettes?

For service I was thinking about letting rookies practice their bike cleaning tech on the LTA :D
Rock
Yes, exactly. In fact, he has bagged 5 or 6 more groundhogs since you guys were there last time. The farmer has cut and baled the hay field and the little varmints show up a lot better now.

#23 ·
I dont know if we can fit this in but I am a bit late for a 12k service. Do we have time for this? Let me know so I can buy all the fluids, etc... for this service.
Thanks,

Jim Sciullo

PS - Howard, you still planning to build that new garage for Joe's GT behind the gun range? I dont want his bike to make mine look like crap.

#25 ·
messenger13 said:
You'd still need to go to the dealer for the brake fluid change and hook the LT up to the MoDiTec. Otherwise...it's probably very doable.
Concur, Jim. I think we have plenty of time. We can even use your lift!

#26 ·
jsciullo said:
... Howard, you still planning to build that new garage for Joe's GT behind the gun range? I dont want his bike to make mine look like crap.
The facility you were in last month for the Tech Session IS the new garage. And besides -- and I mean this quite literally -- I've seen your bike and I've seen a GT in blue (like Joe's). As much as I'm starting to like the looks of the new GT, I like the LT a lot better, visually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.