Howard R. Schisler, Jr., 1926-2013 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
BMW Luxury Touring Community BMW Luxury Touring Community
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical Classifieds Rides

Community Announcements
CCR 2014 is set for Chattanooga . CCR 2014 is scheduled for August 26-29, 2014 at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Located in the heart of downtown Chattanooga with spectacular views of beautiful Lookout Mountain and close to spectacular riding, this will be one to remember. General registration will begin in early 2014. If you dont know about the Curve Cowboy Reunion visit our website and see where we've been and what we've done.

Welcome to the BMW Luxury Touring Community.
The BMW Luxury Touring community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to luxury touring on BMW motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW Motorcycles Flagship - the BMW K1200LT; however, all riders who like to travel two-up, enjoy the better things in life, and share many common interests amongst the larger BMW Luxury Touring community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   BMW Luxury Touring Community > Community > In Memoriam
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 8:58 pm   #1

Howard R. Schisler, Jr., 1926-2013

Dad passed away Saturday, 8/31/13, at age 87. He had been in declining health for the past couple of years, and the last few months especially so.

Part of what has been called "the greatest generation", Dad was born in the village of Pleasantville, Ohio. His family moved to Lancaster, the county seat, when he was a child. He graduated from Lancaster High School in 1944 and joined the U.S. Army, where he served 26 years. Starting as a Private and working his way through the enlisted ranks, he received a commission as a Second Lieutenant, retired as a Lieutenant Colonel, and served during WW II, Korea, and in Vietnam for a year. Not bad for a country boy from a small town.

Dad's years in the Army were the central part of the upbringing of his three sons. We moved frequently, as is common with "service brats", and lived in some interesting places: Hawaii, where I was born and where we had a house on the beach that a young family couldn't hope to afford to own today; the Ravenna Arsenal in northeast Ohio, where kids from a handful of families had the run of several square miles of fenced, U.S. Army-secured fields and forests; the historic Rock Island Arsenal, in the Mississippi River between Davenport, IA and Rock Island, IL and where the few kids who lived on the base grew up like Tom Sawyer on the river; near Wright-Patterson AFB (Dayton, OH), which provided easy and frequent visits to the USAF Museum; and Yokohama, Japan - a beautiful and exotic foreign country.

When Dad retired from the Army in 1970 at the age of 44 my parents bought a house on some acreage in Fairfield County just a few miles from Lancaster, Dad's hometown. This was the first house our family had ever owned. We built a small pole barn and raised a couple of steers each year (one for the freezer, one to sell) and bought a couple of horses, which I enjoyed working with and riding around the countryside. Dad looked around for something to do for the rest of his working life. First, he drove a school bus for awhile. Years later I would hear from my classmates about how intimated they were by "the Colonel". On the first day of school, after he had picked up the last student, he stopped the bus, set the parking brake, left the driver's seat and stood up in the aisle - all 6'3" of his military bearing filling the space between the floor and the ceiling - and laid down the rules of his bus. He didn't have many problems on his route.

Dad then worked at the local Pontiac/Cadillac/MG dealership in Lancaster, selling new and used cars. He drove an MGB demo - a convertible. I wanted so badly to drive that little sports car but as a new driver it was definitely not in the cards. When I asked him why he left that job after a year he told me it was because he couldn't lie to people like they told him to.

Dad then found the second career that would fill the rest of his working years: working as an administrator for the County Engineer. Interestingly, this was the same long-time engineer (an elected official) for whom Dad worked on a county road crew during his high school summers - nearly 30 years earlier. Because his job in the Engineer's office brought him into direct contact with anyone who bought, sold, or built a house it seemed he knew everyone in the county - laywers, realtors, title agents, homebuilders, and home buyers and sellers - and they all had an opinion about him. Dad didn't suffer fools, and if you didn't do your job before you came to his office and you expected him to do your work for you, you got sent back to try again. Because my family still lives in the same area, for many years I routinely ran into people who, when I introduced myself and because I have Dad's name, would always ask "Are you related to the Howard Schisler who works in the court house?" It was always fun to watch for their reaction; there were strong feelings either way. They either liked him or they didn't, but they always respected him.

His military legacy lives on. My middle brother retired from the U.S. Air Force as a Lieutenant Colonel with 26 years' service, and his son is currently serving as a USAF Captain, just back from Okinawa and having completed a deployment to Irag a couple of years ago.

Dad taught us many things of course, as all fathers do, but our most cherished memories are the times spent hunting and working on the small farm after he retired from the Army. He leaves behind his second wife, three sons, two daughters-in-law, six grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.

A small graveside service with military honors is planned for later this week.

Rest in peace, Dad. You have earned it.

-----------
Young Captain Schisler, mid-career

1979. After retirement from the Army, hunting on a cold winter day at the farm:

85th birthday party, 2011:
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hschisler; Sep 2nd, 2013 at 9:06 pm.
hschisler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:21 pm   #2

Re: Howard R. Schisler, Jr., 1926-2013

Sorry for you Loss Howard. Lost my Dad too when he was 74.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
mwnahas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:21 pm   #3

Proud heritage Howard, my thoughts are with you.
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

jeffklt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:26 pm   #4
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry for your loss Howard, my best to you and family.

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
johnbaker15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 5:01 am   #5

That was a very nice and interesting write up.

I'm sorry for your loss.

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

dthogey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 5:04 am   #6

Very sorry for your loss Howard. His truly was the greatest generation.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 5:39 am   #7
Lifetime Supporter

Neat write-up Howard. Sounds like a pretty neat dad.
Prayers for you and yours.

Dan Martin
DanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 5:41 am   #8

Howard, your father sounded like a great man; sorry to hear about the loss.
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

pkpr1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 5:47 am   #9

I almost feel like I knew him. Very nice and respectful write up. May he rest in peace.

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 8:19 am   #10
Lifetime Supporter

Howard,
My sincere condolences. Your father represented an era that I fear will not return to our homeland. My dad is 92, served in the US Navy and now lives in the "here & now". He is physically healthy but his short term memory loss is compensated by comments such as, "it doesn't hurt" and remember when (events of over 60 years ago) . . .

I see him every morning on the way to work and cherish those short minutes getting him ready for "his day".

From your comments, the love between father & son is very evident. Enjoy your memories.
Paul
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

PMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 8:20 am   #11
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

I'm sorry for your loss Howard.
DaveDragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 8:58 am   #12
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry for you loss, Howard. What a lovely tribute to your dad. Prayers for you & your family.
BennyBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:20 am   #13

Howard, thank you for sharing with us. It is a very nice write up

Jim & Deb

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
loansumrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:22 am   #14
Lifetime Supporter

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Howard! Please accept my condolences to you and your family.

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 10:07 am   #15

So sorry to hear that. Good write-up on him.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
ibbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 10:35 am   #16

Howard, great write and great read. Your memory bank must be overflowing with thoughts of the good times with your Dad. You and family are truly blessed - thank you for sharing with our community.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 1:58 pm   #17

Sorry for your loss Howard. Your Dad would be proud. May he rest in peace.
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
D.Kinsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 4:53 pm   #18

Very sorry for your loss.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
petevandyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 8:54 pm   #19

Sorry for your loss Howard!

Glen and Carol
Litchfield Ohio
glenhinegardner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 11:00 pm   #20

Sorry for your loss, Howard.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
Razmataz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 6:35 am   #21
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Howard,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You were blessed to have him in your life for as long as you did. Please accept my condolences to you and your family.

All the best,
Jer
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
jers99lt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 9:47 am   #22

As long as you remember, he will always be in your heart, Your Dad is in a better place and will always be keeping watch over you. Rejoice in the good times and his life.

sheldan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 3:16 pm   #23
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Sorry to hear about your Dad Howard. Prayers sent to you & your family from Sammie & I.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 3:29 pm   #24

+ 2 more from friends in Texas.

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
icepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:37 am   #25

What a great story about your Dad. I was happy to read every word, and it made me realize that you and I have something in common... We were raised by Dads that "got it", when it came to family and friends. Sadly, very much less common today.

Sorry for your loss Howard!
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
hallzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 11:54 am   #26

Howard sending you and your family prayers during this time. So sorry for your loss. What a wonderful tribute to your dad! Sounds like he lived a full and exciting life. Please let us know if there is anything you need.

Garland, Texas
Prior Harley Roadking passenger (Sold 2010)

2005 Harley Ultra Crash Tester
(Sold 2015)
2014 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic CVO passenger
PiePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 6:19 pm   #27

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad in Jan of this year. Always cherish the memories.
horseiron1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 7:10 pm   #28

Sorry for your loss, Howard, but from reading your nice post I know he shared a lot of love with you and the rest of his family. Sounds like a long, honorable life well- lived too. I had to chuckle when I heard he left the car sales business after a year because he couldn't lie to the customers. I also left that business after six months for the very same reason.

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
George_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:16 pm   #29
cws

Garage

You can never love a parent too much. Beautiful tribute Howard.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

cws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:20 pm   #30

Hi, Howard. I'm very sorry to hear of your father's passing. Thank you for sharing your memories of him with us. You and your family are in my prayers.
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
Lee510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 12:38 pm   #31

Very sorry for your loss Howard.
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

zippy_gg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message