Motorcyclist safety instructor killed in Tucson - BMW Luxury Touring Community
BMW Luxury Touring Community BMW Luxury Touring Community
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical Classifieds Rides

Community Announcements
CCR 2014 is set for Chattanooga . CCR 2014 is scheduled for August 26-29, 2014 at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Located in the heart of downtown Chattanooga with spectacular views of beautiful Lookout Mountain and close to spectacular riding, this will be one to remember. General registration will begin in early 2014. If you dont know about the Curve Cowboy Reunion visit our website and see where we've been and what we've done.

Welcome to the BMW Luxury Touring Community.
The BMW Luxury Touring community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to luxury touring on BMW motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW Motorcycles Flagship - the BMW K1200LT; however, all riders who like to travel two-up, enjoy the better things in life, and share many common interests amongst the larger BMW Luxury Touring community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   BMW Luxury Touring Community > Community > In Memoriam
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:14 am   #1
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Motorcyclist safety instructor killed in Tucson

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/moto...8bcf82066.html

Very sad. Be careful out there. Check your mirrors when stopping in a traffic lane.

I have ridden over 500,000 miles on BMW motorcycles. I know that every ride could be my last.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #113 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2
jeffdean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 11:58 am   #2

Re: Motorcyclist safety instructor killed in Tucson

There really is no excuse for this to happen. Just a momentary of lack of attention on the part of either. Driver distracted, biker not watching his 6.

Three blocked from my home is a light controlled intersection where a biker was killed in a similar situation several years ago. Driver of the truck claimed to be blinded by the sun!

It was an early Sunday morning and motorcycle was the only one in the intersection, waiting for the light to change when he was rear-end waiting for the light to change.

"Watch your 6."

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 8:47 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
There really is no excuse for this to happen.
You're right about that Dan. Even though I try to make sure I've got an emergency exit planned for each stop and I'm watching the incoming traffic, there have been a hand full of occasions where a car/truck pulled up and caught me by surprise. It would only take one of those incidences to be a permanent lights out.

I think we have to fight to maintain constant situational awareness.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Gruivis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 12:45 am   #4

Yes, always check your six. We should do everything we can to maximise our chances. Here is another article on John.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/tucson-man-...91;gallery]/1/

I'm not sure he had much of a chance. The driver looks to have been going fast and never touched the brakes. I coach at the same program as John, although I never got the chance to coach with him. I wish I did, and feel for his family.

Dale
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 6:48 am   #5

What really pisses me off is that the driver of the pickup truck should have never been behind the wheel driving in the first place. A senseless and avoidable death. People think driving is a right instead of a privilege.
Here in Florida illegal drivers is common place. Many get caught and are given a summons. Some even drive away in the same vehicle.
6speedTi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 7:10 am   #6

Unhappy Re: Motorcyclist safety instructor killed in Tucson

Quote:
There really is no excuse for this to happen.
I was wrong. Reading the paper's account of this fatality, it is not an accident, there seems to be no way that John could have prevented it from occurring except to have not been there. The man driving the truck was a piece of scum and had no business driving.

In Florida, we have many drivers with multiple DUI and suspended licenses involved in accidents and fatalities ending up with either a fine or nothing. Those of us who are not in violation and follow the rules, end up victims and paying a steep price.

I don't know if 100 flashing lights on John's bike would have made a difference.

My sincere condolences to John's family.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Sep 7th, 2012 at 7:57 am.
DanDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 7:21 am   #7

I called the police on one fellow that was so drunk he could barely walk from the variety store to his car parked about 20 feet from the door. At the time I felt a little guilty but over time I am more convinced that this could have saved someones life.

Last year I came home safely from a 6,000 km trip and the next day I had a car pull off the road in front of me only to make a u turn, if there had been oncoming traffic it would have been impossible for me to avoid a collision. It is hard for me to understand why the driver was not aware of me as I had been following him for 5 or 6 km.

Gerhard
gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 8:38 am   #8
Lifetime Supporter

My heart goes out to John's friends & family. So sad & senseless! Good reminder to watch our 6 and exercise vigilance. We do have to realize that our gear and habits minimize our risk, but nothing eliminates it.
I'll put a plug in here for the AMA because they work to get laws drawn up to make drivers responsible for the injuries they cause not only to motorcyclists but to bicyclists and pedestrians as well. Just because someone isn't in a metal cage, doesn't make them responsible for their own injuries or death when someone violates their right of way. There I feel better now.
BennyBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 10:10 am   #9

Quote:
I was wrong. Reading the paper's account of this fatality, it is not an accident, there seems to be no way that John could have prevented it from occurring except to have not been there. The man driving the truck was a piece of scum and had no business driving.

In Florida, we have many drivers with multiple DUI and suspended licenses involved in accidents and fatalities ending up with either a fine or nothing. Those of us who are not in violation and follow the rules, end up victims and paying a steep price.

I don't know if 100 flashing lights on John's bike would have made a difference.

My sincere condolences to John's family.
The drive was charged with Aggravated Driving Under the Influence, While License is Suspended, Revoked or Restricted, according to the indictment, as well as seven counts of Endangerment and one count of Criminal Damage.

I can only shake my head and count my blessings...
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

pauleknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message