My Dad's Last Ride - 10/15/11 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
BMW Luxury Touring Community BMW Luxury Touring Community
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical Classifieds Rides

Community Announcements
CCR 2014 is set for Chattanooga . CCR 2014 is scheduled for August 26-29, 2014 at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Located in the heart of downtown Chattanooga with spectacular views of beautiful Lookout Mountain and close to spectacular riding, this will be one to remember. General registration will begin in early 2014. If you dont know about the Curve Cowboy Reunion visit our website and see where we've been and what we've done.

Welcome to the BMW Luxury Touring Community.
The BMW Luxury Touring community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to luxury touring on BMW motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW Motorcycles Flagship - the BMW K1200LT; however, all riders who like to travel two-up, enjoy the better things in life, and share many common interests amongst the larger BMW Luxury Touring community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   BMW Luxury Touring Community > Community > In Memoriam
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 2:24 am   #1
Lifetime Supporter

My Dad's Last Ride - 10/15/11

Robert 9/2/29 - 4/30/11

Last weekend (10/15/11) we rode the Strom to Frenchglen Oregon to fulfill my dad's wishes to have his ashes spread in the eastern Oregon desert. This trip was the first long ride for my wife, Pauline, on the Strom. Overall the two-up ride was a total success!

Background:

Back in the late 70's my dad and I started coming up from northern California to the southeastern Oregon desert to ride our dirtbikes. I'm not sure who started the annual event, but somewhere in the early 80's what started with a few riders escalated into a group. I believe it was Memorial Day week 1983 when the ride was to traverse the desert from Wagontire to Frenchglen, however the group was large and not without mechanical problems and weather issues.

The weekend started off with everyone gathering in Wagontire and going on a ride to make sure the machines were ready for the trip. One rider fell and was injured enough to hospitalize in Bend. His bike was bent bad but fixable; which was a good thing since the Husky in the group blew a base gasket and was toast for the trip. My dad volunteered to give his bike to the Husky rider and we fixed the bent bike for dad to ride. We started out for Frenchglen the next morning and arrived for dinner without problems. The following day was another story. The weather changed from cloudy to rain and we were unprepared for the Xcountry trip in bad weather, so we scored some garbage bags and made rain gear. Without the benefit of visibility and landmarks we started west on the roads we thought we were supposed to take. Once we found that we were going in circles Rod, a friend of my dad, got out his compass and he and dad looked at the maps. After a few minutes we were underway and made it back to Wagontire safely. It was a memorable trip for all on the ride. Some riders ran out of fuel and all of us were cold and wet. The folks who ran the motel and gas station in Wagontire fed us and took care of our fuel needs. This trip could have easily gone very bad for all of us in some very unforgiving conditions.

The memorial ride:

My dad passed away on April 30th of this year. He talked to me over the years about spreading his ashes where we used to ride our dirt bikes. The plan was to meet two of the original riding friends of ours in Frenchglen and stay at the historic Hotel like we had done so many times before. On October 15th we rode the Strom from Frenchglen west and re-traced some of the same roads we were on that day in '83. Riding two-up limited some of the trails and roads, however the Strom performed wonderfully where the rocks and sage would let us. The only issue we had was the sage brush, because it was murder on the Micatech panniers, or should I say the bags murdered the sage brush; either way it made for an interesting ride. Here is some pictures of our trip. Thanks for the bandwidth and letting me share my dad's last ride on my Strom.

Pictures from the trip:

We started out the day with rain over Mt. Hood:

But once we got to Warm Springs things started to get better:

Our destination was the Frenchglen Hotel where we met up with our friends and former dirt bike riding partners Dave and Tom from Redding California:

While both of these guys ride well, even into their seventies, it amazes me just how well they still ride! This gives me hope for the next 20 years if I can keep myself in as good a shape as these guys. Dave (on the trailer) rides the KTM and Tom rides the Honda 110. Tom gave up dirt riding for the street a long time ago and the 110 is a perfect bike to take with the RV. That little Honda went everywhere we wanted to go and pulled out over 50 MPG in the process.

Our Strom is ready for the trip:

We got some of the birders to help us with a group shot (nice folks with no motobike bias):

Before the ride out to the desert we made a plaque to place near a crossroad where we were once nearly lost on a cold and rainy ride in '83:

After carefully packing the plaque in Dave's backpack we headed out on the "trail":

Some interesting sights can be seen out in the middle of the desert. I was surprised that Pauline found the trip so much fun. She is used to touring on the back of our BMW LT and the Strom is not as comfortable. The Rick Mayer seat and the J&M Comm system helped us to pass the time and to compare notes, and that made the trip a lot of fun.

The country is so wide open and not many people around out here. To see anyone for miles of riding is a novelty. We loved the solitude, but realize that you really need to be prepared for anything out here. A breakdown or a fall could spell disaster, so we packed our Spot tracker for the trip and let family and friends follow along while we made this trip:

A stop for lunch in a dry lake bed sounded like a great idea. The Hotel packed us lunches and we brought along sodas and water:

The "trail" gets a little rough on the Strom with the big panniers. As you can see the sage brush is growing right up to the tire tracks and the hump in the middle is not friendly to two-up riding. This brought a new meaning to "bush wacking".

A look back to the dry lake bed in the valley below where we had lunch. I can never get enough of this country:

Tom found just the right place to place our plaque and to spread Dad's ashes:

After arranging the rocks near the cross roads we placed the plaque:

A close-up of the plaque details the seriousness of the days ride in '83, and without a compass, map and two guys who knew what they were doing the ride might have spelled disaster:

The view from Dad's resting place is stunning with the Steens Mountians in the SE:

I scattered his ashes and we said a prayer with a shed of tears. I hope Dad is at peace with his place in the land he loved:

Here you are Dad. Enjoy the view and watching the occasional passerby. I pray folks let his plaque rest well with him in this spot:
Coords:42.97915, -119.09190

I want to thank Dave Booth, Tom Stewart and my wife Pauline for making this trip possible for me. I have lived this story all these years and heard my dad recount his analysis of the ride. He and Rod were great map readers and were my GPS that day. I promised Dad I would honor his wishes to have his final resting place in the eastern Oregon desert, I only wished I could have had a few more years to prepare for it. I miss you and miss riding those trails with you Dad.
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (Coming soon!)
2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 26k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles and counting!
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ErnieA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 7:15 am   #2

Re: My Dad's Last Ride - 10/15/11

It's wonderful that you were able to honor your Dad's last wishes. May he rest in peace.
RiderRay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 8:56 am   #3
Lifetime Supporter

What a beautiful send off! You're a good son.
BennyBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 9:01 am   #4

I.m sure he is smiling down at you right now Ernie! Sounds like a great last ride for him as well as a method for you folks to finish things off the right way.

John
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

AlaskaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 9:20 am   #5

Sorry about your dad, but he must be smiling on you for such a fitting and wonderful tribute.

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
Gizmo1137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 9:21 am   #6

I am sure your Dad is very proud of his Son
Very Very Special way to Say ....Dad I Love You
God Bless You
JamesW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 9:58 am   #7

Ernie,
I'm sure your father is happy riding the high plains of the sky.

A poem of American Indian Origins

"Do not stand by my grave and weep.
I am not here. I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken to the morning's hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush

of quiet birds in circling flight.

I am the soft star that shines at night.

Do not stand by my grave and cry.

I am not there. I did not die."

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
amarider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 10:13 am   #8

My friend Ernie,

I am a living witness to the fact that you have been the son that a father longs to have. I have watched you over the years as his need became greater and watched you step up to the plate. You honored him in life and now in death. You are awesome!

Mo
mobikerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 11:59 am   #9

Ernie, Thanks for sharing. I echo all the comments above and offered a prayer. I think both you and your father were granted a huge gift.
Peter
TWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 12:37 pm   #10

That's a fitting and nice final resting place! Good on you!
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
hallzee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 5:46 pm   #11

Honorable, Ernie...very honorable. I pray blessings and consolation for you and your family.

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
L_Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm   #12

Garage

Lost my Dad last fall. In March, I took a ride with my cousin to Key West- a ride he always wanted to do with me. I brought along his helmet so that he was on the ride with me.

Your tribute to your Father was a wonderful thing to do in his honor.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

RVB1019 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 7:24 pm   #13

Ernie,
That's awesome. I am glad you were able to adhere to your dads wishes. I am sure he was smiling extra bright watching you from above. Ride on...
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
sanjaun2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 7:47 pm   #14

Not much I can add to these comments, Ernie, except to say I am honored that you shared your Dad's story with us.

Thank you, and God bless.
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
hschisler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 6:09 am   #15
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Not much I can add to these comments, Ernie, except to say I am honored that you shared your Dad's story with us.

Thank you, and God bless.
Plus 1
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 5:39 pm   #16

That was such a wonderful and deeply touching story.

I hope someday my kids have such meaningful memories of me.

Thanks for sharing
Gregpinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 11:00 am   #17

I am another one with the blessings of growing up dirt biking with my father and enjoying the beautiful deserts and pit racing tales of past rides ... your tribute brought a tear to my eye ... I miss my Dad too and only wish I had honored him the way you did your Father. Thanks for sharing such a personal and heartwarming ride report.

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

CWRoady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 8:19 pm   #18

What a touching way to honor the life and death of your Dad. You two did something together that not a lot of folks do and saw some wonderful sights and made some unforgettable memories.

It was touching to me, as I'm getting up there in age and rode with my wife on back and my youngest son back behind on his GL1800 that yesterday was still mine. I think my wife would have left me if I didn't let him have it and keep it in the family. She loves the GL but I'm on my second LT and that's the final bike I'll ride.

So I hope to have lots of memories of he and my oldest son, who also rides, in the future. We three have ridden the Dragon and the oldest and I have done the TAT out into Western Ok. So the memories are in the making.

Cherish the memories you have now and they will get even better in time. God Bless.
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

tconnell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message