Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX - BMW Luxury Touring Community
BMW Luxury Touring Community BMW Luxury Touring Community
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical Classifieds Rides

Community Announcements
CCR 2014 is set for Chattanooga . CCR 2014 is scheduled for August 26-29, 2014 at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Located in the heart of downtown Chattanooga with spectacular views of beautiful Lookout Mountain and close to spectacular riding, this will be one to remember. General registration will begin in early 2014. If you dont know about the Curve Cowboy Reunion visit our website and see where we've been and what we've done.

Welcome to the BMW Luxury Touring Community.
The BMW Luxury Touring community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to luxury touring on BMW motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW Motorcycles Flagship - the BMW K1200LT; however, all riders who like to travel two-up, enjoy the better things in life, and share many common interests amongst the larger BMW Luxury Touring community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   BMW Luxury Touring Community > Community > In Memoriam
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 2:26 pm   #1

Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX

The loss of one acquaintance in the motorcycle riding community is one too many; the loss of two, in the span of one week, is more than doubly difficult to bear. However, after witnessing first-hand, the lengthy run-up to the moment of passing, that event in both cases is best described as 'a blessing'. I'm referring to two local area riders - Bert in San Antonio, whom I mentioned in my other "Memoriam" article; and Monte in Kerrville, which this one is about.

Many of you know Monte, having met him at various CCR events over the past several years. A lot of you know him by his presence on these forums. And I and many others in the South Central Tejas region, were fortunate to hang with him at many area RTEs; at many 'meet/greet/help the rider passing thru on IH-10' events; and at the +/- ten year span of way-many, very early morning Friday Kaffeee Klatches at the Leon Springs *$$. Great times all.

And of course, many of you have read my postings about Monte's adventures with his kidney removal, the developing cancer that required 4 brain surgeries, and the rounds of Cyber Knife/Gamma Knife; MRIs and CTscans, and chemotherapy over the past 4 years. Herculean through all of that was Monte --- even to the point of buying a Piaggio MP3 motorbike one week after a surgery and riding the snot out of it - he loved to ride. Fast forward to about a month ago, when the doctors told him that they've just about done all they know to do, and recommended he look into Hospice care. He and Debbie did that; used Hospice care at home on a couple of occasions when he needed their services, and after he began walking with a cane and then a seat-in walker. Debbie knew the thing to do was to get Monte into the Palliative Ward at F'burg hospital, where he could receive 24/7 attention under doctor ordered preventive-pain care. Just knowing he was relieved of pain was a blessing for Debbie (and she is pretty stalwart when it comes to pain, as she sees it day in/day out in her profession), plus realizing she couldn't stay awake 24/7 to handle things when he fell, or wandered in a dis-oriented state, or complained of severe headaches and the beginnings of vision loss. So, a week or so ago, that's where he was moved to.

So early today, sitting with Dave and Kathy Moore at World Kaffeee Klatch Hqtrs (now Einstein's) I get the call from Debbie that Monte passed peacefully around 1:00 am this morning. More details will follow, as arrangements are made soon for a Memorial service. In the meantime, Dave has posted a thread regarding Monte, wherein he requested anyone who might have pictures of Monte to please send him a copy. Debbie will sincerely appreciate whatever Dave arranges in the way of a photo compendium. Thanks in advance.

Rest in peace, Monte Rogers, and may God bestow serene and calming blessings to Debbie.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 2:54 pm   #2
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX

Amen to all that. Monte was a heck of a nice guy.

dan
DanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 3:04 pm   #3

Godspeed Monte.
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
D.Kinsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 3:17 pm   #4

Thank you Dick, a very nice write up.

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
loansumrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 4:57 pm   #5

Garage

RIP, Monte, and thanks to Dick for keeping us informed.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
blouw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 6:15 pm   #6
Cat Herder

I have no words .... (But a wet eye)
andy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 6:35 pm   #7
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

God Speed my brother. Till we meet again in the presents of our Lord Almighty.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 10:23 pm   #8

Monte and I had some great times and great rides together over the years. Big Bend, Eureka Springs on our FJR's a couple of times and 4 CCRs. He was a great friend to me. We shared a lot of laughs. He truly loved to ride more than anything else. I will miss you Monte. My prayers are with Debbie and all of their family.

Mike Watts
Attached Thumbnails
Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-dsc_0881.jpg.jpeg   Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-img_1186.jpg  
mwSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 2:22 am   #9

I don't post here often anymore but do lurk occasionally. Sorry to hear of Monte's passing, he was a good man who loved to ride. I've sent a hi-rez version of the attached photo to Dave but thought the rest of you might enjoy it as well. It was taken in April 2003 at the old mill on Lange's Rd near Doss. We were out for one of those "going nowhere in particular" rides on a nice day and stopped to check out the mill. As I recall, Monte had just repaired the left side bag on his LT and dropped it on the same bag on that day. I kidded him that maybe he should look into having zip-on bags installed and he took it with his customary good humor.

He'll be missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-dscn0517.jpg  
ghsmith54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 8:52 pm   #10

Thanks Dick and thanks to all for their thoughts. Monte was a stalwart friend and fellow rider. Here's a few from my camera.

The trailer pic is my former LT being loaded on Monte's trailer after a final drive failure somewhere on I-10. We were coming back from Big Bend. I limped into Ozona and Monte flew home to Fredericksburg and came back with his trailer to rescue me hours later. There's nothing he wouldn't do to help you if he could.
Attached Thumbnails
Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-crowd1.jpg   Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-dscn1979.jpg   Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-dscn2069.jpg   Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-mike-monte-ron.jpg   Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-monte-ron.jpg  

Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-monte.jpg   Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-salado-15.jpg   Monte Rogers, Kerrville, TX-sweetpea-monte-dick.jpg  
davemoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 8:55 pm   #11

Myra and I wish you Godspeed, Monte, to a place where the roads are all smooth and the curves banked just right.

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
icepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 1:31 pm   #12

So sad. Monte took me on a wonderful ride to see several cemeteries where Texas Rangers were interred. Wonderful guy.

- Bob

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
bob_menton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 9:07 am   #13
Lifetime Supporter

Only knew Monte about 2 years, but what a nice guy. And the way he faced his illness was truly heroic. Prayers go out to his family, especially Debbie, for comfort & peace. ....what Dick said.
BennyBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 9:41 am   #14

More prayers sent out to Debbie as I read this.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
ibbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 9:54 am   #15

Monte has embraced His Lord, Jesus Christ...

May the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, Rest in Peace...

God willing, we'll see you there!

Pray for us, Monte....

God bless your family, Monte...

cfell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 10:07 am   #16

He'll be missed by many. RIP Brother.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 8:01 pm   #17

A memorial service for Monte will be held Saturday, Dec. 18, 2:00PM, at Western Hills Baptist Church

http://www.westernhillsbaptistchurch.org/contactus.htm

Debbie Rogers asked that in lieu of flowers, a donation be made to the Hill Country Memorial Foundation, in Monte's name, towards their hospice program or cancer research center.

http://www.hillcountrymemorial.com/M...undation1.aspx
davemoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 9:43 am   #18
Lifetime Supporter

I'll be in the U.P. of Michigan at my Nephew's wedding but will have y'all in my thoughts & prayers. I know the southcentral clan will be well represented.
BennyBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 11:19 am   #19

Prayers sent to Debbie and all the family. Monte was a special man and will be missed!

Garland, Texas
Prior Harley Roadking passenger (Sold 2010)

2005 Harley Ultra Crash Tester
(Sold 2015)
2014 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic CVO passenger
PiePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 8:48 pm   #20

As many folks have already said, Monte was truely a nice guy, and easy to talk to. Our aquaintence is limited to those CCR's and a few trips to the great state of Texas for some RTE's. but all memories of Monte are fond indeed. Just like has already been offered here, Prayers go out to Monte's family, especially Debbie. I am currently on the road, or I would search for any pics I may have of this great friend of ours.
Ride on Monte, ride on!

John
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

AlaskaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 7:12 am   #21
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemoore
A memorial service for Monte will be held Saturday, Dec. 18, 2:00PM, at Western Hills Baptist Church

http://www.westernhillsbaptistchurch.org/contactus.htm

Debbie Rogers asked that in lieu of flowers, a donation be made to the Hill Country Memorial Foundation, in Monte's name, towards their hospice program or cancer research center.

http://www.hillcountrymemorial.com/M...undation1.aspx
Sammie & I will not be able to go to the memorial, but our prayers still go out to Debbie & the family
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 10:03 am   #22

My weekend to work...prayers to the family and friends...

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
loansumrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 10:44 am   #23

Anyone else from the Houston area riding up for the funeral on Saturday?

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 9:58 am   #24

I'm planning on going but I HAVE to be back home by 5:00pm. Rhonda's hospital Christmas party.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
ibbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 10:03 am   #25

Condolences to Debbie and the family, Godspeed my friend.
'00 Canyon Red - Sold

Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 8:50 am   #26

I haven't been around here much and just saw this post. Although I felt it was inevitable to see one day that Monty had passed, it was with deep regret to actually hear of his passing. I didn't know him well but that didn't matter to Monty. He treated me as if he had known me all his life and welcomed me into the CCR fold as a brother. He will be missed.

Thanks Dick for the posting and respectful write-up of his passing.

Our prayers are with Debbie and family from up here in Indiana.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

SoberBiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 6:55 pm   #27

Boooooo!! Just found out about this - so sorry to hear it. Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. My condolences to Debbie. Godspeed Monte.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 11:59 am   #28
Senior Member (ret.)

I am so devastated to read this. Pardon me for not checking in on the site the past few days.

Monte always made sure to stop by and say hello whenever he was at CCR.

I will miss him.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!