Lost my Little Buddy today - BMW Luxury Touring Community
BMW Luxury Touring Community BMW Luxury Touring Community
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical Classifieds Rides

Community Announcements
CCR 2014 is set for Chattanooga . CCR 2014 is scheduled for August 26-29, 2014 at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Located in the heart of downtown Chattanooga with spectacular views of beautiful Lookout Mountain and close to spectacular riding, this will be one to remember. General registration will begin in early 2014. If you dont know about the Curve Cowboy Reunion visit our website and see where we've been and what we've done.

Welcome to the BMW Luxury Touring Community.
The BMW Luxury Touring community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to luxury touring on BMW motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW Motorcycles Flagship - the BMW K1200LT; however, all riders who like to travel two-up, enjoy the better things in life, and share many common interests amongst the larger BMW Luxury Touring community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   BMW Luxury Touring Community > Community > In Memoriam
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 2:56 pm   #1
Gold Supporter

Lost my Little Buddy today

Not a rider, but even more important to me:

BPK's Tri-N 2 B A Tiger
"HOBBES"
LITTLE BUDDY
12-25-96 to 01-22-08

Most of you are not aware Hobbes was diagnosed with bladder cancer last July. He put up a hard fight, but today we helped him cross the bridge, because the tumor had grown and blocked his kidneys and before he got really sick we gave him our last gift. Up until just recently Hobbes was always his feisty happy self. If you met him you never saw him without a grin on his face, even though in most photos he looked serious, Hobbes was anything but. He was described as a Stand-Up Comic in another life and that was fitting.

He was a constant joy and inspired Ann and I into several things we never would have dreamed of trying. He was the first to do Obedience, Agility, Herding, and because of him we now have several other dogs involved in various performance sports and some that have already retired. Hobbes first love, besides food, was Agility. Right up to the end he wanted to go to class and even if it meant only jumping one or two jumps he didn't care, cause he knew he would get a treat just the same as if he ran a full course. We want to thank Jody, our trainer, for insisting we continue to bring him to class. She knew how much he loved it too.

Ann and I both showed him for several years in Agility. I think Ann put the most titles on him, but he and I qualified twice for Nationals and got to go to lots of shows together. My most cherished memories of him will be seeing his tail spinning in circles as he ran a course. He really loved the sport and he loved us unconditionally.

Hobbes journey began on Christmas Day in 1996. He was born a Christmas present, but we had no idea how special a present he was going to be for us. The first day we brought him home, we knew deep inside that he was more than just a pet. There was something in those smiling mischievous eyes that said he was going to rock our world. Never once did he let us down.

Today was hard, but not impossible, because we know that we did everything humanly possible to help Hobbes. Dr. Daly, his Oncologist, never stopped looking for a cure and Dr. Quillivan, his Veterinarian was willing to go along with anything if it would help, but the tumor was just too aggressive. We had to let him go, before he became too sick, or hurt too much to say good by. We spent last night saying out good bys and feel lucky that we were able to do it in time. We both have a huge hole in our hearts right now, because he was a very special boy to us, but we have other fur kids that are ready for our undivided attention again and that helps. Thank you for your support, comforting words, or for just reading this and looking at the photos.

This was our "Little Buddy" Hobbes:

The day we brought him home:

8 months old:

3 years old:

Running Agility with Dad:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lonewuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 3:08 pm   #2
Senior Member (ret.)

Re: Lost my Little Buddy today

I'm sorry for your and Ann's loss. May the memories of him comfort you.

Raffy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by RaffyK; Jan 22nd, 2009 at 3:32 pm.
RaffyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 4:10 pm   #3

I am so sorry for your loss. This is my special girl and I worry about the day I have to put her down.
Attached Thumbnails
Lost my Little Buddy today-picture-199.jpg  
CARNEYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 4:52 pm   #4
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Jerry
Sammie & I are very sorry for your loss. We know he was loved and will be missed. Just take comfort in that he is no longer in pain and still jumping for his treats.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 5:20 pm   #5

Jerry & Ann, I am so sorry about your loss. What a beautiful and special dog. Our furry family members seem to touch us in many many ways. Be thankful for all the great memories for they will stay with you a lifetime. Our prayers are with you. I know from experience that the first several days and weeks are always the hardest. Hugs to you both.

Garland, Texas
Prior Harley Roadking passenger (Sold 2010)

2005 Harley Ultra Crash Tester
(Sold 2015)
2014 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic CVO passenger
PiePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 5:30 pm   #6

It's hard when you lose a best friend, or even closer. Remember the good times, and never forget.
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
rab1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 5:58 pm   #7

Garage

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.

It really is like losing a child.

I had to put down my German Shepard in the Spring. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make.

As time passes, I hope your pain will eases as well.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

RVB1019 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 6:19 pm   #8

So sorry to hear of your loss. Sherry and I know how you feel - we lost our first Airedale to cancer and it is worst when they have the happy end wagging right to the bitter end.

07 LT (w/many "farkles")
+ matching Unigo Trailer
CCR'09

ODHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 6:21 pm   #9

Sorry for your loss...

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI
bmwbagby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 6:29 pm   #10
Lifetime Supporter

I'm very sorry Jerry.

Hobbes is running that great agility course in the sky with never a deduction, and a personal best every time.

Next time I'm over at the A&M Veterinary open house, I'll watch the competition, and think of Hobbes.
BennyBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 6:44 pm   #11

I am very sorry for your loss. God bless.
cdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 7:09 pm   #12

So sorry to hear about this, Jerry. These critters have a special place in our hearts. Cherish the fond memories.
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
hschisler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 7:24 pm   #13

What a beautiful pup... I know you loved him as much as he loved you.. Isn't that what life's about..?

cfell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 7:47 pm   #14
Enjoy The Ride

Sorry Jerry thats got to hurt. I don't know of any pet more loyal to us humans than a dog. I've had cats,birds,monkeys,hamsters,pigs,racoons,rabbits,s nakes & more but nothing is better than a dog.
When my beagle starts slowing down I will get another dog so I will not be without one for one minute.

saddleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 8:35 pm   #15

Lump-in-the-throat condolences, Jerry and Ann. Hobbes was truly fortunate and blessed to have such great 'parents' - who provided a loving and rewarding environment for him to enjoy life and share memories. I'm glad you two were smitten by Hobbes 12 years ago!
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 8:47 pm   #16

Sorry to hear this. Nothing like someone who is your unconditional friend!

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 8:40 am   #17
Gold Supporter

Thanks everyone!!!

Today didn't start off very well and it was something I should have anticipated, but didn't. When I woke up I went to the bathroom and when I finished I opened the door very slowly while instinctively looking down, because every morning for the past twelve years Hobbes has been right there waiting for me. I would spend a couple of minutes scratching his ears and talking to him, then he would try to herd me to the kitchen for his breakfast. Course my wife saw what I was doing and knew right away by my expression and started crying, which got me started all over again.

Fixing breakfast was another hard time, because there was one less bowl to fill and my routine was all messed up with the vitamins and stuff. I noticed my wife had already picked up Hobbes little food shelf and that spot on the floor looked pretty barren. The little things are going to take awhile to get over.

When I lost my K-9 several years ago, I thought I could never get as attached to another dog as I did him. Boy was I ever wrong.

I have another Sheltie that has always considered me as his. He has joined me in bed for my morning coffee every morning of his little life and my Collie has felt somewhat slighted ever since Hobbes got sick because I tried to spend more time with him. So now they two of them are happy to have my undivided, so things should hopefully return to some form of normalcy soon.

Benny, glad you mentioned the demo at A & M. I had almost forgotten, but Hobbes was in that demo every year from 2002 until 2007.

Thank you for all the kind words and support and for letting me share my grief right now. It really helps to know that someone cares.

Last edited by Lonewuff; Jan 23rd, 2009 at 9:26 am.
Lonewuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 1:05 pm   #18

I am soo sorry Jerry. I have been there and know how you feel.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
ibbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 7:21 pm   #19

I lost dogs over the last 40 years. I still think of them all and really miss them.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

When the time is right, you'll have a new buddy to enjoy. Larry

Contact Me.

LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 8:23 pm   #20

I feel for your loss. I lost mine a few year ago, but now have another buddy. They are gone but never forgotten.

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
BMWWANDRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 8:59 pm   #21

Just remember, all DOG'S go to HEAVEN. We have several of them waiting in the fields of clover for us.......
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:10 pm   #22

Sorry about you loss....a couple of years ago i had to put my German Shepard to sleep due to cancer a friend of mine send me this. Hope it helps you like it did me

When you bring a pet into your life, you begin a journey – a journey that will bring you more love and devotion than you have ever known, yet also tests your strength and courage.

If you allow, the journey will teach you many things about life, about yourself, and most of all, about love. You will come away changed forever, for one soul cannot touch another without leaving its mark. Along the way, you will learn much about savoring life’s simple pleasures – jumping in leaves, snoozing in the sun, the joys of puddles, and even the satisfaction of a good scratch behind the ears. If you spend much time outside, you will be taught how to truly experience every element, for no rock, leaf or log will go unexamined, no rusting bush will be overlooked, and even the air will be inhaled, pondered, and noted as being full of valuable information. Your pace may be slower – except when heading home to the food dish – but you will become a better naturalist, having been taught by an expert in the field.

Too many times we hike on automatic pilot, our goal being to complete the trail rather than enjoy the journey. Once we walk as the dog does, we discover a whole new world. We stop: we browse the landscape, we kick our leaves, peek in tree holes, look up, down and all around. And we learn what any dog knows: that nature has created a marvelously complex world that is full of surprises, that each cycle of the seasons bring ever changing wonders, each day an essence all its own.

You will find yourself doing silly things that your pet-less friends might not understand: buying dog birthday treats, driving around the block an extra time because your pet enjoys the ride, roll in the snow, wrestle with chewie toys, and bounce little rubber balls till your eyes cross. Your house will become muddier and hairier. You will wear less dark clothing and buy more lint rollers. You may find dog biscuits in your pocket or purse.

You will learn the true measure of love – the steadfast, undying kind that says, “It doesn’t matter where we are or what we do, or how life treats us as long as we are together.” Respect this always. It is the most precious gift any living soul can give another. You will not find it often among the human race. And you will learn humility. The look in my dog’s eyes often made me feel ashamed. Such joy and love at my presence. She saw not some flawed human who could be cross and stubborn, moody or rude, but only her wonderful companion. Or maybe she saw those things and dismissed them as mere human weaknesses, not worth considering, and so chose to love me anyway.

If you pay attention and learn well, when the journey is done, you will be not just a better person, but the person your pet always knew you to be – the one they were proud to call beloved friend. I must caution you that this journey is not without pain. Like all paths of true love, the pain is part of loving. For surely as the sun sets, one day your dear animal companion will follow a trail you cannot yet go down. And you will have to find the strength and love to let them go. A pet’s time on earth is far too short – especially for those that love them. We borrow them, really, just for awhile, and during these brief years they are generous enough to give us all their love, every inch their spirit and heart, until one day there is nothing left. Deep down we somehow always knew that this journey would end. We knew that if we gave our hearts they would be broken. But give them we must for it is all they ask in return. When the time comes, and the road curves ahead to a place we cannot see, we give one final gift and let them run on ahead – young and whole once more. “Godspeed, good friend” we say, until our journey comes full circle and our paths cross again

The only place where dreams are impossible
is in your own mind.

2005 BMW 1200Lt
2002 Honda 954rr
1996 Honda F3 600 (Stolen)

1986 Honda 1000RR (wrecked by best friend)

1982 Yamaha 600 (sold to buy the 1000)
IronmanLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message