Paul Newman dead at 83 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
BMW Luxury Touring Community BMW Luxury Touring Community
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical Classifieds Rides

Community Announcements
CCR 2014 is set for Chattanooga . CCR 2014 is scheduled for August 26-29, 2014 at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Located in the heart of downtown Chattanooga with spectacular views of beautiful Lookout Mountain and close to spectacular riding, this will be one to remember. General registration will begin in early 2014. If you dont know about the Curve Cowboy Reunion visit our website and see where we've been and what we've done.

Welcome to the BMW Luxury Touring Community.
The BMW Luxury Touring community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to luxury touring on BMW motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW Motorcycles Flagship - the BMW K1200LT; however, all riders who like to travel two-up, enjoy the better things in life, and share many common interests amongst the larger BMW Luxury Touring community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   BMW Luxury Touring Community > Community > In Memoriam
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:46 am   #1

Paul Newman dead at 83

Beyond being an accomplished actor and philanthropist, Paul Newman was a huge motorhead and a very gifted racer. Paul lost his battle with cancer yesterday.

Story

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hoog62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:28 am   #2

Re: Paul Newman dead at 83

Sad indeed. RIP Paul. One of the best, you'll be missed.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 12:49 pm   #3

Unhappy Re: Paul Newman dead at 83

I just watched "Torn Curtain" yesterday... RIP

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
BMWphreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm   #4

Surely his was a talent that Hollywood will really miss.

The actors of today can't compare, or even come close to his talent.
RIP Paul

Contact Me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 3:20 pm   #5

I shook Paul's hand after a victory at Nelson Ledges Raceway (northeast OH) back around 1975. My mother was so excited to hear my report. She asked (with a twinkle in her eye), "What did he look like in person?". I said, "Aw Mom! He's an OLD MAN!". We still chuckle over that story from time to time.

Godspeed Paul. RIP
messenger13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 5:03 pm   #6

In the late 60's I ran my one and only race in a formula Ford at Summit point and our pit was two cars away from Paul's. As a nineteen year old, I was in awe of meeting such a star. I went over to his pit where he had his head under the hood of a Datsun Z car, he stood up shook my hand like a regular guy and let a two minute fart. I'm sure my buddies and I have laughed about that a hundred times over the years. What a regular motorhead and great screen actor. RIP Paul.
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

jeffklt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 5:25 pm   #7

Garage

I will miss Cool Hand Luke!

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

RVB1019 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 7:52 pm   #8

Thumbs up Re: Paul Newman dead at 83

Yeah, RIP. I have a lot more respect for actors of his calibre and professionalism than the more modern germinatioin. (mis-spell intended).

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

Allred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 4:35 pm   #9

I too met Paul Newman at Summit Point raceway in I believe 1984. At the time I was racing Formula Fords and we padocked between Paul Newman and Tom Gloy. We were a support race for the Trans/am race that weekend. So for those three days I gotta a chance to have some brief conversations with P L Newman which is the name he went by at the track. I can tell you he was one of the neatest guys I've ever met. I guess he was in his late 50's when I met him he looked like he was 40. Every morning he'd ride his unicycle by our teeny tiny race team and ask how it was going and we would have a brief chat. Meanwhile my wife, and my friends girlfriends almost stroked out, he had that kind of effect on women. One day I asked him if he ever got tired of all that attention that he got from women. He's brief reply" nah never get tired of that". A buddy of mine party with him at the Holiday Inn in Winchester, Va. that weekend. It must have been some party, they were asked never to come back! In those three days we had maybe a total of eight minutes conversation and in those eight minutes he made me feel like the movestar. He was one of those people who had the ability to make you feel like the special one. He was one cool guy, a real superstar, a person that you would like to become yourself. The world really has lost a great guy here, even though he lives on by the many foundations he created. P L Newman will be missed.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 8:40 pm   #10
fas

Cool Re: Paul Newman dead at 83

I had the pleasure of helping Paul test our brakes on his race car at Road America. He tested our brakes for the first time there. When he came to the paddock and took off his helmet I asked him what he thought. "Great fucking brakes. We're racing them." He had a reputation for not doing autographs. That night I called my Mom in Florida to tell her I had been working with him. She was thrilled. Next morning I dropped by his pit and he agreed to write a note to my Mom in my race record book. She was so proud of that note. For several years I helped the Newman Haas CART team and had many occasions to see Paul and his wife at the paddock hospitality. She had him wrapped around her finger. Great to see their relationship intact after all those years. I visited in Daytona when his car # was 76 (his age). His stints were getting shorter but he was still out there running darn good lap times and having a great time. He was totally unpretentious and such a great competitor. A rare human with so many gifts, Paul set an amazingly high bar for other men. And he had the best smile.

RIP Paul.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
fas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:16 pm   #11

I didn't know that Paul Newman was from the Cleveland area. Hhmmn...
Also, checkout his credits at IMDB.com. Wow!!!
messenger13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 5:56 am   #12

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Newman several times at Road Atlanta during SCCA races in the days when he first started in Datsun 510's and later in Z cars in both SCCA and IMSA. Ditto above. Just a regular guy at the track. During the runoffs (SCCA Championships) one year, I was working corner 7 by myself as a cornerworker. This was one of practice days early in the week, so not a big crowd. He walks up to me and we discuss the proper line to come through Turn 7 for about 30 minutes or so. We didn't even talk movies.

Several years later, during an IMSA race through the streets of Detroit, his car broke at the turn I was working. He parked the car, climbed over the guardrail and took a seat waiting for the practice session to end, so he could be towed to the pits. I brought him some water he looked at me and said, don't I know you. He did not remember my name, but recognized me from our talk at Road Atlanta. Simply amazing.

It sounds like a cliche, but the world is a much poorer place with him gone.

Ultra LT
UltraLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message