Very Tough 30 days - BMW Luxury Touring Community
BMW Luxury Touring Community BMW Luxury Touring Community
Home Forums Files Gallery Email Articles Surveys Calendar Technical Classifieds Rides

Community Announcements
CCR 2014 is set for Chattanooga . CCR 2014 is scheduled for August 26-29, 2014 at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Located in the heart of downtown Chattanooga with spectacular views of beautiful Lookout Mountain and close to spectacular riding, this will be one to remember. General registration will begin in early 2014. If you dont know about the Curve Cowboy Reunion visit our website and see where we've been and what we've done.

Welcome to the BMW Luxury Touring Community.
The BMW Luxury Touring community exists to promote a friendly, on-line community specifically related to luxury touring on BMW motorcycles. The information on this site is primarily related to the BMW Motorcycles Flagship - the BMW K1200LT; however, all riders who like to travel two-up, enjoy the better things in life, and share many common interests amongst the larger BMW Luxury Touring community are welcome to join in on the fun.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. In order to use most of the features of the site, you must register. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have any questions regarding this community, please use the Contact Us form and an we will get back to you ASAP.

Go Back   BMW Luxury Touring Community > Community > In Memoriam
User Name
Password
Register Site FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 1:05 pm   #1
Optimist

Very Tough 30 days

I am a cancer patient (stage IV colon cancer). As such I am around a lot of other cancer patients through my work in support groups. The last thirty days have been very difficult because I have lost 5 friends to cancer.

None of them rode but all of them were very supportive of me, especially the trip Doug and I made to the Northwest Territorritories and Alaska.
  • Carol (60) (colon cancer) you had such a great sense of humor and so much more to give.
  • Nate (32) (colon cancer) you were so young for this disease. You were engaged to be married with your whole life ahead of you.
  • Helga(72) (kidney cancer) you spoke German to me, cooked German food for me and treated me like your son.
  • Bennie (72) (colon cancer) you were always so afraid of your cancer. What a gentle soul you were. You always asked me about the side effects of the chemotherapy we took. I wish I could have made it easier for you.
  • Ingrid(68) (pancreatic cancer) What a lady you were. You had such dignity as you fought your cancer. You were such a great example of how we should deal with this disease.
My prayers go out to all of their families. They were all fighters and I am proud to have known them all.

2002 K1200LT
2004 R1150GSA (bad motorcycle)
2008 Piaggio MP3 500 (mean motor scooter)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cancer Sucks
But Life Doesn't
Dell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:24 pm   #2

Cancer is a curse in our world beyond words...

Glad you are still hanging in there, Dell! Keep loving your friends....and praying for them..

May the faithful departed, rest in peace through the mercy of God...

cfell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 8:42 am   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Cancer is a curse in our world beyond words...

Glad you are still hanging in there, Dell! Keep loving your friends....and praying for them..

May the faithful departed, rest in peace through the mercy of God...
+1 here also. Pray for them.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
ibbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:53 am   #4

I feel your pain Dell. I lost a best friend and spiritual "father" to cancer 13 months ago. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of Bruce.

PLEASE read this post, especially paying close attention to the poem within. I hope that you'll find comfort in Bruce's words. And feel free to share it with whomever you'd like ... whomever might find comfort in his thoughtful prose.

Take care and God bless. I will be praying for you ... rest assured.
messenger13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 12:53 pm   #5

Dell,

You'll be in my prayers. And I can relate somewhat. My wife has breast caner...just finished Chemo...and it's hard for me to see so many suffering through the treatments each time we go. For you, I'm sure it's especially difficult to see those around you succumb. I see you call yourself "optimist" and you have some humor "cancer sucks". Hold tight to those traits as you fight your own battle against the big C.

God bless you, your passed friends, and those close to them.

Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 5:06 pm   #6

Just finished praying for you pal. May you receive the strength and healing you need. I'm sure here if you want to talk.
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cccpastorjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 5:56 pm   #7

Prayers to their families and you.

I read your website, you have quite a battle record. I will keep you in my prayers that you keep winning battles.

Give my best to your wife. I know that a wife's support and prayer are the two things that help you make it through each day.

My thoughts are also with your friends families and the time they are facing.

Praying for good news this time.

Mark
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 9:42 pm   #8

Hi Dell,

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your friends and their families. My Mom had colon cancer 5 and 1/2 years ago. I took her to her Chemo treatments a few times and it was not a fun experience, very humbling. The good news is that she went over 5 years without anymore cancer showing up back in the fall. It is a long tough road to fight. Cancer is the one thing that will effect everyone sometime in their life with either a friend or a family member.

Take care,
Glenn
gatorglenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 1:53 pm   #9

Hi, Dell. I recently lost the father of a good friend to lung cancer and my father died of prostate cancer after an extended, terrible battle. I salute your courage and feel the emotion of losing your friends you have listed for us. I wish you the very best and will be thinking of you often.

Karl
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
kmurphy165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 1:49 pm   #10
fas

Gone at 46

Dell,

My wife was a freshman in college when she got word that colon cancer killed her Dad. He was 46. The year was 1965. He was a chemist at US Steel.

The medical world has made great progress fighting this one.

Hang in there and know that are all pulling for you.

Recently we lost my Dad at 88. My wife said he was "her Dad" longer than her real Dad.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
fas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 3:53 pm   #11

Re: Very Tough 30 days

I agree - cancer sucks; life doesn't. In my other life as a healer, I have met/worked with a number of people with the sucky diagnosis. I am honored to know each one and their families. I have been priviledged to be present for the passing of one, just missed another.

Thanks for the web site - I have a few to recommend it to.

Continued blessings on your journey. PM me if I can help.
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
taylorjn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message