Motolights installation help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Motolights installation help

Just received the set of Motolights I bought from Raffy today.
Very well pack with all you need to install... sounds good.

Now, couple questions for those who already installed it:

1) The Ground form the lights and from the Relay is supose to go to a Motorcylce Ground. My batery lead is already full. Is there any other place I can fix it? or do I have to buy those 'dont_remmeber_name' thigs you but on the battery lead and it gives you many more connections?

2) The Relay/switch power Lead is supose to key on hot wire. Where did you split your?

3) Where did you afix the switcher?

One more question, now from my lazy side: I'm installing it on the break caliper. The instructions says to aply thread lock if required. Is it required thread lock on those screws?

Thank you for ideas

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout

1) The Ground form the lights and from the Relay is supose to go to a Motorcylce Ground. My batery lead is already full. Is there any other place I can fix it? or do I have to buy those 'dont_remmeber_name' thigs you but on the battery lead and it gives you many more connections?
You should try to go back to the ground terminal of the battery. If you cannot...install a grounding strip or grounding bar of some kind. I wouldn't just go into the frame. You asking for ground loop issues.

2) The Relay/switch power Lead is supose to key on hot wire. Where did you split your?
Connect that to the switched lead of the seat heater, under the passenger seat.
I assume you mean the switch. I custom built mine into the stingray.

One more question, now from my lazy side: I'm installing it on the break caliper. The instructions says to aply thread lock if required. Is it required thread lock on those screws?
I have never used Locktite...no problems in 40K miles.
Thank you for ideas
You're very welcome!
Hope This Helps.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 5:12 am

Quote:
Just received the set of Motolights I bought from Raffy today.
Very well pack with all you need to install... sounds good.

Thank you for ideas
I had my dealer wire up the Motolights after I had installed them on the calipers and ran the wires. The bike was in for the 12K service so the plastic was off anyway. Therefore I can not help with the wiring questions. But I did not use locktite ..... actually thought the instructions said to use anit-seize but regardless I am sure I did not use locktite.

There is no "neat' place to install the switch they supply you with on the LT. I went to PepBoys and bought a surface mount toggle switch with an indicator light. They drilled a small hole on the left side of the dash and mounted it flush. It looks GREAT and works wonerful and I like the indicator light. Hope this helps.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC

There is no "neat' place to install the switch they supply you with on the LT. I went to PepBoys and bought a surface mount toggle switch with an indicator light. They drilled a small hole on the left side of the dash and mounted it flush. It looks GREAT and works wonerful and I like the indicator light. Hope this helps.
By any chance do you have a picture?

Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #5 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I assume you mean the switch. I custom built mine into the stingray.

That is a neat place.
For me looks like you used the same switch that cames with the kit, just removing it from it's big oval case. Am I right?

Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #6 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:00 am

Quote:
That is a neat place.
For me looks like you used the same switch that cames with the kit, just removing it from it's big oval case. Am I right?
No...they are similar, but these were not as deep. Those would work though.
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 5:49 pm

Quote:
By any chance do you have a picture?
I knew you were going to ask that ... I do not but will see what I can do. It is really a neat set-up and looks like it was factory installed.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 11:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
There is a ground connection block on the right side of the bike just behind the battery. Follow the ground wires from the battery to find it. It is an insulated block with two bolts sticking out in opposite directions. I put both factory ground wires on the same side of the block, then used the other side for accessory grounds. That keeps it all neat and clean.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 6:01 am

Autoswitch

Quote:

Stuart,
I used the Autoswitch. It easily ties into your turn signal cancel button. You activate/deactivate the the motos by holding the cancel button for greater than 1 second. No fuss, no mess. Cyclegadgets sells it.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...ct.asp?Item=AS

Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #10 of 11 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 6:36 am

I also used Autoswitch...

I used the Autoswitch as well. On my last bike I ended up having so many switches all over the place, and none of them matched. The install pictured above is pretty neat though too...

Kevin B. Sawatsky
Caddo Mills, TX
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'08 Kawasaki KLR
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksawatsky
I used the Autoswitch as well. On my last bike I ended up having so many switches all over the place, and none of them matched. The install pictured above is pretty neat though too...
(In my best Elvis voice) Thank ya...thank ya very much!

I have two AutoSwitches as well. But they control my HID low beam, and my oval halogens under the headlight assembly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in