Aerostich HID Headlight Conversion Kit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Aerostich HID Headlight Conversion Kit

I just received the summer catalog from RiderWearHouse and noticed they offer an HID headlight conversion kit for $187 for one bulb or $227 for both high and low.

Has anyone installed this system?

Would you recommend only low beam, only high beam, or both? I'm thinking I would like the high beam improved for traveling at night on deer infested roads where there isn't a lot of oncoming traffic.

Thanks.

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:04 pm
RMW

I don't know about this particular unit but my preference is both low and High. I have the HID-Online kit and am very satisfied.

My recommendation (regardless of kit you buy) is to stay as close to the 4100K temp bulb as possible. The light gets bluer the higher the number. I tried a 5200k and did not like it at all. both mine are now 4100k or 4200, CRS don't you know.

I do a lot of my riding at night and value the HID high beam for exactly the reason you state. There are many ways to go but I have now settled on HID low + high, and a set of aux driving lights for daytime and back up to the low beam. Its very nice to be able to tilt down the aux lights and use them for a quick temporary low beam replacement when the bike low beam craps out in the middle of a ride, especially in the rain

If you consider aux lights at some point I recommend staying away from the PIAA 1100x lights (the ones I have) Cost about the same as the moto lights but the bulbs are $50 each and burn out rather quickly. Moto lights (IMHO) are not quite as clean looking of an install but free bulbs for life.

BTW, I just saw you are from the great state of Texas. Rode through your little state at night in January of 05 on a 50CC ride. The sheer number of horned varmits both walking around the highway and crumpled along side is what convinced me I needed to get the HID's in the first place.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA

Last edited by RMW; Jun 13th, 2006 at 10:09 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:24 pm

I think that kit for $187 (and the HID Online kits) are over-priced, IMHO. Several of us have bought and installed the HID kits from CQLight.ca and are very satisfied. And they are cost $128 to your door! What a bargain! Read all about them in this thread. Links to the correct kits can be found HERE. FWIW, I only have the low-beam...as I like using a halogen high-beam to flash cagers. You lose this ability with an HID high-beam.

Also, I think that calling a 5000K temp HID light "too blue" is a bit overboard. Yes, there is a leeetle blue in it. But just barely. Keep in mind that HID kits are going all the way up to 14000K these days. Now THAT's too blue. In fact, that's purple. 6500K is too blue. 5000K is a leeetle blue. 4100-4300K is pure white. But not worth the extra cash over the CQLight.ca kits.

Here's the 5000K kit from CQLight.ca:

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:57 pm
RMW

Joe,

What I neglected to say and should clarify is that the 5100 I tried was in the high beam. When projected way out there in the wee dark of night the light was much less usable and indeed very blue in comparison to the whiter color of the low beam 4100. I think if used only as a low beam one would not notice it to be overly blue. Also it seemed to me that the 5100 reflected off of signs in a much more annoying way. Probably just me but it bothered me enough to make the switch.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guys. Low beam HID will probably be my next upgrade.

I do have the PIA 1100x auxiliary lights. So far the bulbs have been good. Even if they fail, I'm grateful for them every morning that I ride past a plant entrance on my way to work.

Having the 3 points of light really seems to make a difference in being seen by drivers.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreJoe
Having the 3 points of light really seems to make a difference in being seen by drivers.
Why stop at just 3?!
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:45 am
RMW

Thumbs up

We agree on this point. Never enough light.

It would be nice to find a good fog light, meaning one that actually puts real light down low and wide on the road, that fits reasonably well somewhere on the bike. The PIAA 1400's look nice under the tip-over but just not enough juice there.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in