CQ-lights HIDS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 7:57 am Thread Starter

CQ-lights HIDS

Anyone purchase from them and have them installed - feedback / how are they working? CQ-lights seem to be the lowest price by far. I installed a set from HID-ONLINE and was very happy with them but they were twice as much.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 8:24 am

They are kinda sorta the 'vendor of choice' as of late. I have their low beam...love it. I installed one at 'STC for Riders', Brett loves it. And I have two more waiting for me to help with theirs. For the money ($128.xx to your door) tough to beat!

Do a search and you'll find many threads regarding their kits.
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 5:50 pm

Ditto... Nice lights, no issues. Just get the lowest color temp you can. I think that mine is a little too high because it just doesn't seem to project quite that far, especially on dark pavement. It does have that cool looking blueish tint, for what that's worth. Next time around I will get the lower temp.

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:55 pm

HID's

Like mine a lot...did both lights but you can hardlly notice the difference when you turn on the high beam.
Ron
post #5 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 1:53 am

CQ light has the ballast and igniter as two separate units.
HID Online they are built into one unit - saves space especially if you are doing high and low beam.

CQ light lowest temp bulb is 5000 k
HID Online do a 4200 k bulb which is the recommended temp.

I did low beam only - 5000k from CQ
VERY happy with the results
post #6 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 5:45 am

Like Joe said, I bought the 5000K from CQ, Joe installed and two months later they are doing fine!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 5:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjrieth
Like mine a lot...did both lights but you can hardlly notice the difference when you turn on the high beam.
Ron
Did you order 2 motorcycle kits or a car kit that include 2 units?

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
Current Stable:

post #8 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning
Did you order 2 motorcycle kits or a car kit that include 2 units?

Dave
One would have to order two separate kits, as the lamps are a different type for the low and high beams. Unless you call them and work out a deal...I dunno.
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, got it all sorted.

The HIDs in my LT work great but I paid + $400 for them I just wanted to make certain the CQ lights were working well and it sounds like everyone has been very happy with their CQ's.

Joe, I didn't think the last question through of course for the LT you'd have to order 2 kits H7 & H11. I am ordering this for my R12GS ADV both the hi & lo are H7's.

Based on everyones feedback I ordered the 5000K H7 auto kit for from CQ - great deal. I also ordered a 3000K kit from www.hid-sin.com for my fog lights (yellow cast light) they were about $60 more expensive but CQ doesn't carry the 3000K lights.

Now all I have to do is to figure out where to put 4 ballasts on the GS.

Thanks again!

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
Current Stable:

post #10 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyvL
CQ light has the ballast and igniter as two separate units.
HID Online they are built into one unit - saves space especially if you are doing high and low beam.-----------------
BUT: This can be a HUGE advantage if there is a space issue near the lights. The ballast can be anywhere on the bike, with only the small igniter mounted near the bulb. With the one piece units, the larger unit has to be within the length of the high voltage lead to the bulb.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
BUT: This can be a HUGE advantage if there is a space issue near the lights. The ballast can be anywhere on the bike, with only the small igniter mounted near the bulb. With the one piece units, the larger unit has to be within the length of the high voltage lead to the bulb.
I found with my CQ kit that the cable was not long enough to locate anywhere except above the headlight housing. I am not expert enought to cut into the wires to lenghten them. Also I liked the waterproof connectors that came on the units.
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyvL
I found with my CQ kit that the cable was not long enough to locate anywhere except above the headlight housing. I am not expert enought to cut into the wires to lenghten them. Also I liked the waterproof connectors that came on the units.
Cutting and splicing the 12 volt power wiring to the ballast can be done a multitude of ways, and as long as the connection is good, and not allowed to short out it will work just fine. You could use crimp splice connectors, cut/solder/insulate, even (shudder) wire nuts. As long as the wires maintain good contact and do not corrode, you would be fine.

However, you cannot easily splice the high voltage lead to the bulb. That is why the ballast on the single part systems has to be within that length, and the ignitor on the dual part systems, but the ballast 12 volt power leads, and the leads between the ballast and the ignitor can be very easily spliced/extended.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:14 pm

OKC Mini-Tech Session 6/7 for Hi/Low CQ Install

Ordered Hi/Low CQ's yesterday as a custom "kit" - $214 total. Hoping they arrive in time for the Mini-Tech install next Wed (Jun7) ~4pm.

John is going to lead the demo:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9681

Should be fun. PM me if you can make it. I'll post results to the above thread in the South Central forum.
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:30 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
One would have to order two separate kits, as the lamps are a different type for the low and high beams. Unless you call them and work out a deal...I dunno.
Yep, just call and they'll package up two different bulbs into one car kit. The rest of the parts are all the same. Saves a bit of $$.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:21 am

CQ Replacement HID Low Beam

My Low beam HID light that I bought from RaffyK three years ago died and I did the price comparison thing and chose to use the CQ-Light HID bulb.

Only thing I had to do was cut off the connectors from both the old and new bulbs, and spliced the old connectors onto the appropriate wires of the CQ-Light bulb. I cut the wires from the connector end of the old bulb long enough so the splice would be completely inside the water-tight headlight enclosure. Worked like a charm. I used standard in line crimp connectors and got a tight connection.

No doubt, I would do the same thing again if or when needed. And, $50 is not a bad price, either.

John Robinson
Shawnee, KS
2003 K1200 LTE
post #16 of 17 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:55 pm

I just did the High and Low beam on mine with the CQ's.
WE - THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!! mounted the ballasts up in the cavities near the mirrors, under the nose cone. They fit well there. I would recommend you get yourself some firm foam or maybe a rubber tube you could cut up to isolate the ballasts from the frame rails and zip tie them into place. We mounted the ignitors on the shelf with sure locks on top of the headlight which gives a nice clean setup and there's plenty of cable to do this.
We used a 3/4 dia. hole saw on my cordless drill to put the holes in the housing for the grommets and a 1/4 drill bit for the hot wires (sealed with Silicone) and spliced into the existing ground inside the headlight so it's using the stock power setup - it would be very easy to go back to stock if for some reason I needed to. Just plug the clips from the CQ lights into the H7 & H3 plugs inside the headlight.
three things that we weren't clear on:
1) you need to drill out the black plastic bulb holder for the H3 bulb to allow the wires to run back through it
2) spend some time to get that H3 bulb right on or the high beam will be off. It is not easy to get it to sit right for some reason the rubber grommet on the bulb makes it very hard to the get black plastic ring and the metal ring to slot back together just right. Take the time to get these right on.
3) For the H7 bulb, we put the metal spring clip that holds the stock bulb on backwards, clipped the holes on it onto the plastic tabs from the housing and screwed it down. It took two guys to get it on as it is tough to line it all up under tension.
I'll be travelling next week, but if you look at the tech session thread in the North East section of this website you will see some pictures, and you can PM any of the guys there and I'm sure they would be happy to help you out. You can also send me a PM and I'll give you my cell # if you want to call me.

Prepare yourself to be very pleased when it's all done!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #17 of 17 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Exclamation Which kit for what year LT?!

Well . . .

For the '05 / '06 LTs:

For the Low beam - H7 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit
For the High beam - H11 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit

For PRE-'05 LTs:

For the Low beam - H7 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit
For the High beam - H3 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in