driving lights or hid for driving in the west? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 26th, 2006, 10:12 am Thread Starter

driving lights or hid for driving in the west?

I am planning a trip to the west this summer and need to know which lighting would be the one to get, HID or driving lights. I usually do all of my riding in the north east and as we don't have too many wide open stretches where I ride I am not sure of what to get for the trip.
I will be riding through S.Dakota, Wyoming,Montana then Canada to San Diego,then across to Florida. A lot of the riding will be at night so I need the best lighting for this type of riding. I am riding a 2003 LT.
Jim Hackett
2003 K1200LTE - anthracite
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S Red
South Park Pa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 26th, 2006, 10:28 am

If money is no object I would do both. I put the PIAA driving lights on my 05 and I did the HID. It is amazing how much better I can see at night. I also like the MOTOLights becasue they mount low and tunr with the front wheel. Just my $2.00 of wisdom.

Enjoy.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old May 26th, 2006, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditbiker
I am planning a trip to the west this summer and need to know which lighting would be the one to get, HID or driving lights. I usually do all of my riding in the north east and as we don't have too many wide open stretches where I ride I am not sure of what to get for the trip.
I will be riding through S.Dakota, Wyoming,Montana then Canada to San Diego,then across to Florida. A lot of the riding will be at night so I need the best lighting for this type of riding. I am riding a 2003 LT.
Jim Hackett
2003 K1200LTE - anthracite
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S Red
South Park Pa.
The key for night riding in the wide open spaces is down road reach. You need to see the road surface far enough ahead to have braking/swerving time to avoid anything on the surface, or a bad surface.

HID low beam, although one of the best additions you can make to the LT, does not help at highway speeds. HID high beam adjusted properly would help a lot, but good, well focused driving lights are even better. You want the driving lights mounted as high as possible so that can reach down the highway far enough but still be aimed slightly downward. If they are mounted low, then the beam is basically parallel to the surface and does not show things as you need it to. I had HID driving lights mounted under the mirrors.

Just be aware that many states have regulations that do not permit any aux. lights used on the highway to be mounted above the level of the headlight, but I have never heard of anyone on a motorcycle being cited for that.

If you do add good driving lights, wire them slaved to high beam so that when you have them turned on they go on and off when the high beam does. Do NOT use an Autoswitch on driving lights! I did that at first, but quickly learned that was not good. Every time I dimmed the high beam, I had to hold the turnsignal cancel switch down for a second to get them to come back on. When you have been riding with them on for a while, going back to low beam is dangerous as your eyes are used to the down road lighting and you cannot see well at all until they are turned back on. That second or two before you can get them back on covers a lot of highway at 80+ MPH!!! You need them back on the instant the oncoming driver gets to the point you will not blind them. When you get in areas where there is too much oncoming traffic to use the driving lights you have to slow down to be reasonably safe.

The toughest thing to do when riding at night is to keep your sight distance a little longer than your stopping distance. Most LD riders will admit they are often out of this safety range.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 5 Old May 27th, 2006, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

hid-vs driving lights

thanks for the advice I am starting with driving lights and had figured to have them slaved through a relay to the high beams. I am mounting them on the tip over wings first and maybe another set under the mirrors.I am planning on doing the IBA border to border ride passing through San Diego,maybe near the end of the month.

Jim Hackett
South Park Pa.
2003 K1200LTE anthracite
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
post #5 of 5 Old May 29th, 2006, 5:24 am
IBR# 366

Garage
If you want the best, get these Phillips HID lights. Or perhaps the Hella FF200 HID lights (scroll down a bit). Neither are cheap, but both work very well. They'd be great coming across South Dakota, Arizona, etc., but not so good where there is lots of oncoming traffic.

You probably won't need them for your B2B run, as I-5 is busy enough its whole length that you won't be able to (or need to) use them very often. But you'll get plenty of use on the rest of the trip.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in