which HID model is best?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Question which HID model is best??

wanted to get thoughts about which HID color temp. to get?
5000K, 6500K, 7,8, or 10K?
they all cost the same..please explain whats the diff?
whats the recommendation of the group?
thanks David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingedout
wanted to get thoughts about which HID color temp. to get?
5000K, 6500K, 7,8, or 10K?
they all cost the same..please explain whats the diff?
whats the recommendation of the group?
thanks David
The Kelvin temperature is the COLOR of the light, 5000K being white, and progressively bluer as the temp goes up, getting purple at above 8000.

Also, as the color temp. goes up, the actual light output in lumens goes DOWN!

Factory HID lighting on BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. has been in the 4200-5000K range. Stick with that. Higher is for the kids with the slammers that want to be noticed, and seem to get great joy out of making others angry, which the really blue lights do. Since conversion of standard lights to HID is actually illegal (but not enforced against individuals that we have ever heard of), who wants to be noticed like that?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Question

I ordered the 5000K from CQ Lighting and they appear very blue to me, but I couldn't find anything below 5000K. Can I buy a different bulb and use the same ballast and igniter?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

post #4 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 7:08 pm

I just installed the same CQ, and the 5000 is the lowest that you can buy from them. And I do agree, the 5000 is a little too blue for me. “dshealy” is right, the higher the temp, the less the human eye is capable of seeing. So unless you’re planning on putting in a set of Kickers; stay to the lower temps. Also, installing the CQ’s is about as simple as it gets. There’s a couple of posts in here that show pic’s of installations. Just note that you don’t have to cut extra holes or a slot in the cap, just use the grommet that is supplied with the kit and bring the extra wires through the holes that are still blank, and leave the original plug inside the cap as there is plenty of room for it (this will make sense when you get the kit).
post #5 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I ordered the 5000K from CQ Lighting and they appear very blue to me, but I couldn't find anything below 5000K. Can I buy a different bulb and use the same ballast and igniter?
It is getting harder to find aftermarket 4200K bulbs, but I had one in my LT, purchased 5000K for my car, and there is not enough difference to worry about. A little bluer, but nothing like those 6000K and above lights!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #6 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Bought 4300K for a few dollars more from a place in Canada.

Stay with me David. Don't fold and tell me I spent an extra $75 for nothing.
post #7 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Question Hid

so the H7 5000K is the correct kit to order?
has anyone seen the 6500 in an LT?
thanks for all the input..
anyone want to help do the install
david

forgot to ask if the high beam should be replaced with an HID or is that over kill?

Last edited by Roadkingedout; May 9th, 2006 at 8:31 pm. Reason: another ??
post #8 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Quote:
so the H7 5000K is the correct kit to order?
Yes, but only when you cannot find 4200.
Quote:
has anyone seen the 6500 in an LT?
Not on an LT but on cars. Hate them! They will draw attention to you (not good attention), but you cannot see as well!
Quote:
thanks for all the input..
anyone want to help do the install
david

forgot to ask if the high beam should be replaced with an HID or is that over kill?
Some like HID in high beam, but most will agree that it is not the same "bang for the buck" that low beam is.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #9 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 10:37 pm

Thumbs up 5000k

The 5000K kit from CALight.CQ is a leeetle blue, but not enough to worry about. In fact, if I had my choice between it and a 4300, I would pick the 5000 all over again. It looks sooo sweet with my Pacific Blue '02.

post #10 of 26 Old May 9th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
Bought 4300K for a few dollars more from a place in Canada.

Stay with me David. Don't fold and tell me I spent an extra $75 for nothing.
Naw! You woulda been better off spending that extra $75 on those cute leetle bottles of vino!
post #11 of 26 Old May 10th, 2006, 11:20 am

Quote:
anyone want to help do the install ...
david
Hey David,

First: love the name-- Roadkingedout!

Second: I'm with you on the need for someone to help me with (OK, do) a HID install. This kind of stuff drives me crazy. A "project day" for me is changing a turn signal bulb.

You're in Indiana, I'm on Ohio; anyone want to do a Midwest tech session? I'd be happy to host it at my place -- 30x40 4-bay garage with all the facilities (lights, electric, water, fridge, cable TV, high-speed internet) -- if there is interest.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 26 Old May 10th, 2006, 11:44 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'm with you on the need for someone to help me with (OK, do) a HID install. This kind of stuff drives me crazy. A "project day" for me is changing a turn signal bulb.

You're in Indiana, I'm on Ohio; anyone want to do a Midwest tech session? I'd be happy to host it at my place -- 30x40 4-bay garage with all the facilities (lights, electric, water, fridge, cable TV, high-speed internet) -- if there is interest.
David, Meet me over at Howard's place. I'll bring the chainsaw!
post #13 of 26 Old May 12th, 2006, 12:59 pm

which HID model is best??

Ok. I'm at the CQ lighting site, and I see several models which have a motorcycle kit as an option. All cost the same, $110.99. But which one is right for the K1200 LT (2005)?
http://www.cqlight.ca/catalog/index.php

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #14 of 26 Old May 12th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Exclamation Which HID kit from CQLight.ca - Links!

For the '05 / '06 LTs:

For the Low beam - H7 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit
For the High beam - H11 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit

For PRE-'05 LTs:

For the High beam - H3 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit
post #15 of 26 Old May 12th, 2006, 2:44 pm

I admit to being ignorant about lighting, but why does my BMW dealer offer HID conversion light kits for $1200? This seems like a large gap from $110 ! Is one HID kit any better than another?

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #16 of 26 Old May 12th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
I admit to being ignorant about lighting, but why does my BMW dealer offer HID conversion light kits for $1200? This seems like a large gap from $110 ! Is one HID kit any better than another?
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the BMW unit is the whole light assembly, with reflector and lens designed specifically for HID. That is a requirement to get them certified by DOT, and probably even more important in Europe.

The cheap kits we are installing are only ballast and bulb kits to convert the halogen reflector/lens assemblies to HID. Not really legal, but we have never heard of any individual being even questioned about it.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #17 of 26 Old May 12th, 2006, 11:21 pm

MY HID-Online high beam is 4200K and is not at all blue. Cost a little more than CQ, but what the heck - it's a 20K+ motorcycle, I'm not going to pinch pennies or dollars on the farkles....
Cuban cigars and Russian River Pinot Noir for me
post #18 of 26 Old May 13th, 2006, 5:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz

david is correct, legality
and wait till you see the difference in a OEM hid and the conversions, the reflector is designed to use the HID by BMW

the conversion kits are not

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #19 of 26 Old May 13th, 2006, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The 5000K kit from CALight.CQ is a leeetle blue, but not enough to worry about. In fact, if I had my choice between it and a 4300, I would pick the 5000 all over again. It looks sooo sweet with my Pacific Blue '02.

If you can make them lights flash in a circular sequence, people will think its a UFO landing.
Result Never pull out in front of you.
Be seen, be safe, over 50% of all mc accidents are caused by over vehicles.
Rock
post #20 of 26 Old May 13th, 2006, 8:31 am

Thumbs up Triangulation

I have yet to have one single cage pull out in front of my LT. The fact is, my Ninja also has aux lights for the triangulation effect and nobody has pulled out in front of that bike either. Some call triangulation a bunch of crap. That's fine...they're allowed their opinion. But it's tough to argue with experience.

post #21 of 26 Old May 17th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Which HID is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the BMW unit is the whole light assembly, with reflector and lens designed specifically for HID. That is a requirement to get them certified by DOT, and probably even more important in Europe.

The cheap kits we are installing are only ballast and bulb kits to convert the halogen reflector/lens assemblies to HID. Not really legal, but we have never heard of any individual being even questioned about it.

Actually, I asked my BMW dealer about that.

Here's what he said.
"The kit retails for 299.95. Labor to install is 360.00. This is an aftermarket kit that installs in the place of the stock bulb. No additional lenses are needed. HID is perfectly legal on the street in the US. As a matter of fact, it now comes as an option on the 2006 k1200lt."

I'm guessing that BMW orders them from CQ as well.

Hmmmm, let's see now. $699.95 from BMW, $110.99 to do it myself.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #22 of 26 Old May 17th, 2006, 3:06 pm

Which HID is better?

Quote:
For the '05 / '06 LTs:

For PRE-'05 LTs:

Thanks messenger13.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #23 of 26 Old May 20th, 2006, 6:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker

Actually, I asked my BMW dealer about that.

Here's what he said.
"The kit retails for 299.95. Labor to install is 360.00. This is an aftermarket kit that installs in the place of the stock bulb. No additional lenses are needed. HID is perfectly legal on the street in the US. As a matter of fact, it now comes as an option on the 2006 k1200lt."

I'm guessing that BMW orders them from CQ as well.

Hmmmm, let's see now. $699.95 from BMW, $110.99 to do it myself.

wrong!~ the conversion kit is NOT legal in the US period your dealer lied to you.

the HId on the new '06 has been approved by DOT here, there is a huge difference in the reflector design, HID require a specific reflector in order to get the proper (aka US DOT SPEC) beam pattern

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #24 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:40 pm

Quote:
For the '05 / '06 LTs:

For PRE-'05 LTs:

Bizarre, but none of these links work...! All the info, however is easy to find on the CQ web site. Thx Joe!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #25 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 4:35 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
...Some like HID in high beam, but most will agree that it is not the same "bang for the buck" that low beam is.
Howdy David,

This is one man's opinion, worth exactly what you're paying for it , but for riding at night:

Count me as one of the few that believe the reverse in terms of "bang for the buck". That said, at the prices one can get HID, both high and low beam HID is the only way to go.

When I am running my low beam HID it is easy to "out run" the light in front. The low beam HID certainly gives greater light saturation inspiring greater confidence regarding illumination of objects within the pattern, but little extra range.

The high beam HID allows for significant additional illumination distance and there is nothing better when riding than more light over a greater distance.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #26 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
The high beam HID allows for significant additional illumination distance and there is nothing better when riding than more light over a greater distance.

William, While you are absolutely correct, there are far more many places where you never are able to get to high beam mode, hence the low beam IS the "biggest bang for the buck." One of the few times I'm going to disagree with you.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in