HID…Just something to consider - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 9th, 2006, 12:04 am Thread Starter

HID…Just something to consider

I just returned from a short run to try out the new C-Q HID light that I just installed in my 2005 KLT tonight. I honestly wish that after spending around $130.00 (US), that I was more impressed than I am right now. The company was great, and my order came within days of my order, so there’s no problem there. The installation was a breaze, taking only an hour or so. My disappointment is with the light itself.
I expected it, so I don’t really mind that the light is a little blue in color. What I do mind is that the LT’s low beam housing disperses the light only a short distance in front of the bike, so now where the extremely bright HID light abruptly stops and the darkness begins, it makes for a rather distracting contrast and I find myself using the high beams more now than before the installation. I now understand why the HID’s on most cars have that “fisheye” focusing lens in front of the bulb; it focuses the beam farther down the road so there is less of a mottled dispersion of the light (kinda like a “mini-mag” flashlight).
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not unhappy with my upgrade, it’s just that I’m still in need of a light that provides visibility farther down the road that won’t have me constantly being flashed by the on coming traffic. Just something to consider if you’re thinking about installing HID’s.
So for me, the search goes on…………
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 9th, 2006, 12:32 am

Pre'05 versus '05-'06 LT models

I am extremely impressed with the very same kit on my '02. I wonder if your issue is due to the different lens that your '05 has. Hhmmn . . .
post #3 of 16 Old May 9th, 2006, 1:18 am

See if the bulb was properly and squarely seated during the installation . DAMHIK

post #4 of 16 Old May 9th, 2006, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKHNTR
What I do mind is that the LT’s low beam housing disperses the light only a short distance in front of the bike, so now where the extremely bright HID light abruptly stops and the darkness begins, it makes for a rather distracting contrast and I find myself using the high beams more now than before the installation. ………
Have you done the "headlight beam angle adjustment" (63.10 in the manual). After I installed mine I went behind a Walmart at night, measured off the distance from the wall (10 meters). Then measured the height to the center of the headlight, subtract 10 cm and mark that height on the wall. Adjust the knob under the fairing and bingo. There should be a nice flat beam with a bright center. I did have a bit of a flare off to one side, but not too bad.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old May 9th, 2006, 11:54 am

The HID low beam conversions on the pre '05 lights is exceptional. Maybe the new low beam reflector/lens is not as good for HID as the earlier one was.

Be sure the lamp is fully seated, and if it is, unclip it and slowly pull it out while it is on to see if the beam changes for the better. If it does, it can be spaced out by a washer the correct thickness. May have to experiment.

By the way, low beam should not reach much farther down road than the original did, just give you a huge gain in light for that distance with some additional reach. Down road reach is where high beam is supposed to be used anyway. If you get much more reach with HID on low beam you will be blinding oncoming drivers more.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 16 Old May 9th, 2006, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

I did check the seating of the bulb, and I did unclip the cap and played with the bulb, however I never could get a clean wash of light. I will check the beam angle tonight, so thanks for that number “zaphod”. I’m just hoping that with these suggestions, I can get a good solid light pattern instead of this mottled (very distracting) light pattern that I now have.
post #7 of 16 Old May 9th, 2006, 2:38 pm

So your the guy marking up my walls at walmart?????

Donald
NW Arkansas
2006 K1200LT Blackish sorta kinda
BMWMOA #124197
AMA #925041

The difference between committed and involved is like a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken was involved...the pig was committed!
post #8 of 16 Old May 28th, 2006, 11:56 am

Got to agree with you on the light dispersion. The light is great along the sides but seems to be lost much further than 8-10 feet from the bike (just a guess). The first real good ride at night I had with my light was 2 days ago coming back from Dallas, Tx to Chicago (home) and noticed the signs lighting up fairly well but the road ahead was some what dark. I am sure the bike gets noticed more at night but would like to see more road in front of me. I will have to try that angle adjustment. Also will have to try moving the bulb. I just placed the bulb as the instructions stated. When looking at the head light assembly you can see how that High beam reflector seems to take out alot of the useable light.
post #9 of 16 Old May 28th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Smile dim HID???

I have an 06 with the factory low beam HID. It has an abrupt "cut off line" on the top of the beam. Which is just like the rental FX35 that I recently had. All you do is change the aim point so that the cut off is high enough up to light up the road (but not so high as to illuminate the rear view mirror of the car in front of you)

I did install a HID-Online high beam (H9, I believe). It was more expensive than CQ..

The light while being very slightly bluish, lights up the road like daylight, especially since the low beam stays on all the time (which may be different that the pre '05 models)....
I have to say that I am very happy with my decision to go not with the cheapest out there, but rather, with the company that Raffy cowrote (or, wrote for) the HID installation booklet.
My experience with their product is very positive and nothing like I am hearing about CQ.....
As a postscript, I will be buying a set of motolights, for triangulation as well as for lighting up the corners, as an bike's light is not pointed into the turn, once you initiate the turn and lean the bike over...
post #10 of 16 Old May 28th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Unhappy Huh?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshpop
Got to agree with you on the light dispersion. The light is great along the sides but seems to be lost much further than 8-10 feet from the bike (just a guess).
It's almost as if you guys have a different light or bike than I have. I have my oval halogens aimed 12 feet in front of the bike, the inside MotoLights aimed further than that, the outside MotoLights aimed further even still...and then I can still see where the HID is reaching past ALL of them!

Y'all may want to checkout 'The Eyes Of God' HID kit. Or...perhaps new glasses?!?!
post #11 of 16 Old May 28th, 2006, 7:33 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
It's almost as if you guys have a different light or bike than I have.
Actually they have Joe. Speaking from experience I can tell you that the cut off of the 99-04 models was not AS clear as the cut off of the 05-06 model low beam.

My new 06 came with the HID already installed and yes, that is a real cut off line. From one moment to the next it is pitch dark, and in front of that line it is lit up. The 99-04 models tend to 'fray' that cut off. Which is the reason why some of the guys drive around with a little bit of black masking tape, as not to blind oncoming traffic.
post #12 of 16 Old May 28th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Actually they have Joe. Speaking from experience I can tell you that the cut off of the 99-04 models was not AS clear as the cut off of the 05-06 model low beam.

My new 06 came with the HID already installed and yes, that is a real cut off line. From one moment to the next it is pitch dark, and in front of that line it is lit up. The 99-04 models tend to 'fray' that cut off. Which is the reason why some of the guys drive around with a little bit of black masking tape, as not to blind oncoming traffic.
Well, rat spit. I was going to order a HID upgrade for my '05 LT. Reading this thread, I'm now unsure as to which unit I should buy. I'm not concerned with getting the cheapest unit, I want the best low beam HID.

So... what is the (new) consensus about which is best for the '05? HID Online? CQ? Something else?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

I didn’t mean to disappoint anyone considering putting in the CQ’s, and believe me I’m certainly not putting them down. I just wanted to let you know what I was experiencing. I’ve seen them installed in three Goldwing’s and one Triumph Sprint, and they work great! But, I’ve had them in now for about a month, and I still find the sharp cutoff of bright light into darkness very distracting if not a bit dangerous, especially when riding on unfamiliar roads out in the country.
The intensely bright light is great if it would reach out far enough to where you don’t feel like you’re out-driving your light, but it just doesn’t let it go far enough down the road for comfort. But that interior ribbed design of the ’05’s does make the coverage very “mottled”, adding to the distraction. I’ve tried several combinations now, and thought I had found the “fix” when I adjusted the height of the light. But after several oncoming cars frantically flashing me to dim my lights, coupled with a few of them giving me the ole' Hawaiian good luck symbol when I pulled up behind them, I decided to lower the beam back, replace the original bulb and just go get some good driving lights.
Thanks to those who have confirmed this for me……
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 12:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
So... what is the (new) consensus about which is best for the '05? HID Online? CQ? Something else?
Going on what ELKHNTR is saying...the reflector in the '05 headlight assembly is causing the issue. And no particular brand of HID kit is going to make a difference. An HID bulb is an HID bulb.
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 6th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKHNTR
I just returned from a short run to try out the new C-Q HID light that I just installed in my 2005 KLT tonight. I honestly wish that after spending around $130.00 (US), that I was more impressed than I am right now. The company was great, and my order came within days of my order, so there’s no problem there. The installation was a breaze, taking only an hour or so. My disappointment is with the light itself.
I expected it, so I don’t really mind that the light is a little blue in color. What I do mind is that the LT’s low beam housing disperses the light only a short distance in front of the bike, so now where the extremely bright HID light abruptly stops and the darkness begins, it makes for a rather distracting contrast and I find myself using the high beams more now than before the installation. I now understand why the HID’s on most cars have that “fisheye” focusing lens in front of the bulb; it focuses the beam farther down the road so there is less of a mottled dispersion of the light (kinda like a “mini-mag” flashlight).
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not unhappy with my upgrade, it’s just that I’m still in need of a light that provides visibility farther down the road that won’t have me constantly being flashed by the on coming traffic. Just something to consider if you’re thinking about installing HID’s.
So for me, the search goes on…………

I am running the same kit on my '05 and am very happy with it. It far exceeds the stock lighting. I would have liked a 4200 or 4500k but I can live w/ the slight blue tint of the 5000k. I got flashed once or twice so I lowered it a bit and no more flashing, but I can still see.

Can't offer any suggestions, but thought you might like to know it will work in an '05.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 7th, 2006, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Well, a friend has offered to buy the light if I take it out, and I agreed to sell it to him if and when I do. But if it works on “theonemavin” 05’s bike, then the problem shouldn’t be the lens body.
I’ve already completely reinstalled the light (more than once) so I can’t imagine doing it again would show a different result. But…..Just because I’ve overhauled jet engines for a living doesn’t mean I couldn’t have missed something simple. OK, I’ll give it one more try then. First, I’ll pull the Tupperware off this time, and then I’ll completely remove the light assembly. This way I can swap the old bulb with the new and compare the differences. Sounds like a weekend project eh? I’ll repost when I finish.
The saga continues…………..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in