How Long to do HID Install? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2006, 6:42 am Thread Starter

How Long to do HID Install?

Ok, now I have received my HID lights and want to get them installed. Thanks to John (jpspen) I have good instructions to follow. My question is how long should this take and is there anything else I should install while I have it apart. I want to tackle it this weekend.

I think I am going look into installing a fuseblock and possibly my Skifi2 unit that I just picked up.

Anymore help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2006, 7:25 am

At STC-II I watched Joe (Messenger 13) install an HID low beam from underneath the headlight, without removing any bodywork. It was just like changing the headlight bulb, except for cutting the hole and side slot in the dust cover (as shown in the posted instructions). The igniter, ballast and extra wiring were zip tied to the frame. Not as tidy as hiding those items on the "shelf" above the headlight, but a heck of a lot faster.

If you are removing bodywork to install the other items, though, you may as well do it all at once, I guess.

I have my SkyFi2 installed with a Dephi hardwired modulator so I'd recommend that to you for the XM installation.
post #3 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2006, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

Randy,
If you don't count the time I wasted while freaked out once the Tupperware was off I think I could have installed the CQ HID easily in 4 hrs. If you have never removed the plastic, you should just to get that fear out of your system. Follow the instructions and take your time. No problemo!

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

post #4 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2006, 4:22 pm

If you're a tupperware virgin, figure 4-6 hours. If experienced you could probably do the whole thing in 2-3 if you're handy and understand what needs to be done. It's not really difficult, only intimidating. Don't be..We've got your back.

Holler if you have questions.

405-361-1434

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2006, 5:35 pm

Of course...if you're a total masochist like me, you'll do the speedometer mod and replace the dash lamps (only the ones that light-up your dash) while the nose cone is off. Heck, I added a fuse block too! Add another 3 to 4 hours for these. And a bucket of patience! It took me at least 8 hours for the entire project. Boy o boy! The Guinness tasted good that day!

post #6 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2006, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Dang that Guiness sounds good!

Well it sounds like it all depends on what else I decide to do. I definately plan to put the HID in of course, but am contemplating the XM as well. May have to take a run by the auto parts store to see what fuse blocks may be available as well.

As for speedo, I would love to have it fixed, but since I can do math pretty well in my head I am not sure it's worth the effort.

I would also like to tone down the lights as they sure were bright a couple weeks ago when I rode her at night (hence the HID purchase ), but again I am thinking it would probably be a lot easier to buy some window tint.

I want to take the tupperware off to save some time on the 24K service I have scheduled for next week as long as I am doing the HID anyhow so that will be a plus.

I was debating on how much of the items to have done at the dealer vs. trying to do myself, but decided to have them do most things this time that way it gets looked at from trained eyes (hopefully) and I get a baseline for future reference.

Since I am getting the it will probably take most of the day to do and flush brakes and install new tires, I figured having the tupperware removed and trailering her would probably be the best option.

Dealer is 2 hours away so not convenient if something major was wrong and they did not finish.

Thanks for the inputs everyone. I appreciate the help people are willing to give.

John thanks for the call a friend lifeline..... I may need that.

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660
post #7 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:47 pm

Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfran
I figured having the tupperware removed and trailering her would probably be the best option.

Dealer is 2 hours away . . .
I don't understand why you're trailering the bike. I ride mine an hour to my dealer with the Tupperware removed. Not the nose cone of course...but all the side panels removed.
post #8 of 11 Old May 3rd, 2006, 6:11 am Thread Starter

Thanks Joe!

Well this is information I had not really considered. So if the weather forecast is positive I can ride Now that sounds better. How much is the handling effected? Anything I need to be careful of? You know newbie questions

BMWMOA # 131660
post #9 of 11 Old May 3rd, 2006, 6:21 am

You'd be surprised how unaffected the LT seems to be when she's totally nekkid! She's UGLY, but she's handles just fine. I don't do this, but you might want to reinstall the inner tip-over bars for the commute. (A little insurance.) Other than that, just strip her and go.
post #10 of 11 Old May 12th, 2006, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Well the install went fine

Well, I installed the HID high and low kit last Sunday and it went well. I left the tupperware off for the week as I had the 24K scheduled for yesterday as well. Gotta say I was very comfortable with Two Jacks in Wilkes-Barre PA.

They did the 24K with brake and clutch fluid change, new Metzlers, and new rear brake pads. I ended up trailering since the forecast was for thunderstorms all day. Ended up with only a few sprinkles until just after I unloaded her back at home. Then the sky opened up. Glad I was safe and sound.

The HID lights look like they are going to be great. I had them out in front of the house adjusting the distance and they appear to have a huge improvement. Looking forward to the next time I need them.

Still need to install my power outlet for the XM and get the mount but I plan to install on left handlebar using clutch cover mount.

Oh and you are all correct that the tupperware is no problem if you just do it and don't get frustrated. I did need to refer to the manual a few times, but I ended up tearing off extra stuff just to see how it came off. Now hopefully tomorrow I can get it all back together.

Well that's about it for now.

BMWMOA # 131660
post #11 of 11 Old May 12th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Sounds great! Yea...the Tupperware is nothing more than intimidating at first. But after a few times, it's nothing more than a small (big?) nuisance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in