Need opinions on light position - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:24 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
midwilshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 364
Need opinions on light position

Issue: I want to install PIAA 1100x's on the LT, primarily for conspicuity, but also for visibility. I don't want to increase the wind-drag-silhouette of the big LT, but I want the lights as high and as wide as possible.

Prakash did his own light mount in this great thread.



I'm considering doing the same sort of thing with the PIAAs, but as I said above, I want them higher and wider. I was thinking of putting them in front of the mirrors, like this sketch:




It would require the removal of the little wind deflector tab thingy in the opening of the mirror housing and a copy-cat of Prakash's install method on the mirror internal housing itself. I'm soliciting comments on the proposal. Would the weight of a light out there cause the mirror to pop off on every bump? Is this otherwise a good position? Any other concerns?

Assume that this light position complies with my local laws.

Thanks gang!
midwilshire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:47 am
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
My 2 cents...

Your proposed position will probably yield the best light output for you, but I'm not sure about being the most conspicuous to cagers. I like more triangulation...but that's a never-ending argument.

As for the mounting, I would try to hard-mount the lights to the LT's hardware behind the mirror...and not to the mirror itself. I think mounting these lights to the mirrors themselves will yield too many headaches.

What about just above or below the tip-over wings? Food for thought...
Here's my 747 imitation:

messenger13 is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:55 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
midwilshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Your proposed position will probably yield the best light output for you, but I'm not sure about being the most conspicuous to cagers. I like more triangulation...but that's a never-ending argument.
Thanks for your 2 cents, Joe. Since my primary concern is conspicuity, your point about triangulation is well taken. I like the under-the-tipover-wings idea a lot, but I wonder if the right-side light is not visible to left-turning cagers. Being so far back, it'll drop from view behind the nose of the bike before a light near the front would. But I gleened this notion by walking around my LT, so your experience may trump that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
As for the mounting, I would try to hard-mount the lights to the LT's hardware behind the mirror...and not to the mirror itself. I think mounting these lights to the mirrors themselves will yield too many headaches.
Yeah, I agree. But my concern is that if I go through the mirror to the LT, it would obviate the ability of the mirrors to pop off. I figure that BMW has a good reason to make these mirrors leap from their bikes, and who am I to override that German genius? I'd really like a BMR mount that goes in front of the mirror instead of under it, but I can't seem to find such a thing. (Maybe for good reason?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Here's my 747 imitation:
Wow, that'd do it. Unfortunately, we here in CA are not allowed such a panoply of illumination. Moreover, it's possible that you aren't either [see Ohio Rev. Code Ann. secs. 4513.12; 4513.17 (yeah, it's slow here today)].

Thanks again!
midwilshire is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:23 pm
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
Moreover, it's possible that you aren't either [see Ohio Rev. Code Ann. secs. 4513.12; 4513.17 (yeah, it's slow here today)].
It would only be illegal if I actually read the Revised Code...right?
messenger13 is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2006, 4:34 pm
Senior Member
 
unleashd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oak Hill, VA, USA
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
It would only be illegal if I actually read the Revised Code...right?
+1

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
unleashd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forum Humor eljeffe Humor 2 Mar 5th, 2006 6:14 pm
How many of us does it take to change a light bulb?! Bruce_Yates Humor 4 Mar 1st, 2006 8:03 am
How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb? RoyvL Humor 12 Feb 13th, 2006 12:49 pm
Backoff module on light bar: can I make it a tail light also? hammick Lighting 2 Dec 6th, 2005 4:52 pm
Brake Light Switch jeffklt K1200LT 7 Nov 15th, 2005 2:24 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome