Has anyone seen this Brake LED issue? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

Has anyone seen this Brake LED issue?

Just installed a Brake! LED Conversion (made specifically for the LT). Worked fine around the block twice (no warning lights)... got 5 miles down the road and the Triangle shaped brake warning like comes on solid. The LEDs still appear to be working fine, all three are on with brake and flashing together... Shut bike off and restart, warning light will not go out.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 3:58 pm

What year is your bike? What brand lights? Cost? There are known issue with after market brake lights with the linked brakes causing this type of problem.
post #3 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

More info and more questions!

2003 LT, the LED's are: Brake! LED Taillights (Trademark). SUPPOSEDLY brand new just for K1200LT.

I figured that reinstalling the BMW bulbs would solve the issue of the indicator lamp. It did not. But I am NOT sure if I reinstalled the lamps correctly. I did not pay enough attention to the original wiring configuration before installing the new LED's.

Additionally, I never noticed that the center bulb has only two wires (not the three that each of the outside bulbs has). Is that correct? did I rip a wire out?

What are the correct wire colors and bulb terminations (31, 54, 58) for the different circuits (Brake / Taillight)?

Is this brake fault something that won't self clear? Do I have to cycle the battery off?

Is it possibly an enormous coincidence? What commonly causes the brake triangle indicator to come on?

post #4 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 6:27 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Center bulb is correct. Who makes this Brake LED?

I don't have an LT anymore so can't help you with the wiring colors. Someone else will.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Another question

If the center bulb only has one circuit, which one is it? (brake or taillight)

running light/parking light

Last edited by RaffyK; Apr 22nd, 2006 at 6:51 pm.
post #6 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 6:51 pm

If no one else beats me to it, I'm working on my LT now - I'll get some pics up in a few hours.

Never been into the tail light myself - 'bout durned time, eh?

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 6:52 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

post #8 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:23 pm

OK, here ya go - 2002 LT

View of Tail Light Assembly from the socket side. Shows Center, Brake and Left Signal

Center socket. Grey with black stripe and brown

Brake, running light
Top left - Grey with Yellow Strip
Top right - brown
Lower right - grey with blue stripe

Left turn signal - Blue with Red stripe and Brown

Righ Signal is blue with Black stripe
Other Brake/running light is same as the one shown above

Now, who can tell me what's up with the rust on these connectors? Is this why I read 'bout some o you 'experienced' wrenches going in and re-doing everything?? Talk 'bout ugly.

Tate

post #9 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMilliron
Additionally, I never noticed that the center bulb has only two wires (not the three that each of the outside bulbs has). Is that correct? did I rip a wire out?
Nothing ripped out; the center bulb is a taillight only.

Quote:
What are the correct wire colors and bulb terminations (31, 54, 58) for the different circuits (Brake / Taillight)?
See post #3 in this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7977

Quote:
Is this brake fault something that won't self clear? Do I have to cycle the battery off?

Is it possibly an enormous coincidence? What commonly causes the brake triangle indicator to come on?
It should clear if rewired correctly. Check your owner's manual regarding the various warning light messages; as I recall off the top of my head, the solid triangle is the burned-out brake light bulb warning.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #10 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanx for the info

I guess I did put it back together correctly. Took it for another ride and the idiot light cleared. So I guess this LED thing is the issue. I will get some tech help from manufacturer (GIZMO-MILL) or send'er back!

Thanx again
post #11 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
OK, here ya go - 2002 LT

Now, who can tell me what's up with the rust on these connectors? Is this why I read 'bout some o you 'experienced' wrenches going in and re-doing everything?? Talk 'bout ugly.
Tate, all them leetle squiggly lines on the red --- I think you got plastic-eatin' termites!!

On the rust thang - ping Grif and borry some of his least fav' flavor of di-electric grease. He usually sends a leetle dessert sample along with it --- red loctite!!
post #12 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 9:39 pm

Quote:
I guess I did put it back together correctly. Took it for another ride and the idiot light cleared. So I guess this LED thing is the issue. I will get some tech help from manufacturer (GIZMO-MILL) or send'er back!

Thanx again
If the LEDs you bought don't have a loading resistor, you can add one. Do a Google search and you'll locate some. The resistor increases the current load so the ABS system things the bulbs are the correct ones. But as you say, check the manufacturer and see what's going on.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #13 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 9:44 pm

Isolater(?) needed

I had the same problem with my LED conversion. the triangle stayed on. Turns out there is some type of ground loop isolater needed...maybe that isnt the correct name...but the manufacturer supplied these little wires which need to be installed and it solved the problem...
Ron
post #14 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 7:44 am Thread Starter

The instructions say...

The instructions for the Brake! system state it has "circuitry" to fool the bike's ABS system into thinking a "regular" light bulb is installed. No mention of additional wires, resistors, etc. The only reason I dropped $2-C on this upgrade was that I was not going to have to deal with any of that crapola!

If this unit is designed specifically for the K1200LT (and the one that I have is not defective in some way, which the LEDs themselves work great. very bright, great flashing patterns, etc.) these GizmoMill folks aren't much for design.

More tomorrow after we talk!
post #15 of 19 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 5:59 pm

Quote:
The instructions for the Brake! system state it has "circuitry" to fool the bike's ABS system into thinking a "regular" light bulb is installed. No mention of additional wires, resistors, etc. The only reason I dropped $2-C on this upgrade was that I was not going to have to deal with any of that crapola!

If this unit is designed specifically for the K1200LT (and the one that I have is not defective in some way, which the LEDs themselves work great. very bright, great flashing patterns, etc.) these GizmoMill folks aren't much for design.

More tomorrow after we talk!
Give 'em a call and get a load resistor mailed to you. The package will have a set of instructions (shows where to plug it in) It will turn the idiot light triangle off......
post #16 of 19 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:00 am

Keep us posted on what you find out from GizoMill.....

Rich in Florida
post #17 of 19 Old Apr 24th, 2006, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Tate, all them leetle squiggly lines on the red --- I think you got plastic-eatin' termites!!

On the rust thang - ping Grif and borry some of his least fav' flavor of di-electric grease. He usually sends a leetle dessert sample along with it --- red loctite!!
Hehehe, yup - we gots us some 'interesting' critters up here on the High Plains <g>.

I aughta chat with Grif 'bout that other stuff too - good idea!!

::writes out list::

Tate

post #18 of 19 Old Apr 25th, 2006, 6:31 am Thread Starter

Parts on the way

Gizmo-mill was very apologetic about my issue. They said that each BMW has slightly different characteristics and the lot of LED's that I have don't match my bike's configuration. Parts to correct are on the way. If this works (and the Gizmo folks seemed very confident) then I will have to declare that the ends justify the means! I really dig the pulsing LED's...

Thanx again for all the help, photos, etc.
post #19 of 19 Old May 8th, 2006, 7:34 am Thread Starter

Talking All Squared-up with Gizmo-Mill

Team, Gizmo sent me a resistor (installed in parallel with LEDs to decrease overall resistance and increase current draw when braking). It's all good now, no more idiot lamp.

I was puzzeled as to why a "high tech" set of LED brake lights designed specifically for the LT would need an "add-on resistor". The folks at Gizmo indicated the current draw required to turn off the idiot light varies from bike-to-bike slightly. They did not cover the entire range on their first build of LED's. Really does not matter much to me, as they really work! They also said that their current batches of LED's should not need the resistor. Very nice folks, no charge (of course), and quick turn-a-round on the part.

If you want cars to stay off your Arse, gotta have these. I can absolutely see the difference at lights or turns. The highbeam modulator really catches people's attention too (I think some folks think I'm on a Police bike when I'm headed toward them, they refuse to pull-out of driveways and the like)

Cheap mods for potentially big safety returns!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in