The night is truely mine - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 4:10 am Thread Starter

The night is truely mine

Hello Guys,

HID lights are it.

I purchased a set a few months ago and installed them yesterday. I was so frustrated because the evenings are getting long here in Ireland and I had to wait until after ten o' clock for it to be completely dark. I went for a drive in a lovely dry night about 8.5 degrees C, but with normal trousers and shoes and a bike jacket and gloves, it was really a gorgeous night.

I intended to just drive up the road and back, but I ended up driving for an hour or so, just cruising around quiet country roads admiring the unbelievable light from the CQ Lights HID's. I installed the main and dip beam sets and both are astonishing. I simply cannot believe how bright they are. Of course now I am worrying about reliability, and potential problems with the kits being jostled on the front of the bike.

Anyway, I cannot wait for my next night time drive, thanks to all for the info on the installation.

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 5:36 am

Mark: Just ride your bike and don't worry about reliability issues with the HID's. The service life is something like ten times the life of conventional bulbs. I have 27,000 trouble free miles on mine and I suspect that my Michigan roads are not as smooth as yours over there! Dick
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 6:34 am Thread Starter

Up early

Hello Dick,

You are up early, thanks for the post.

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 9:46 am

My last trip to visit my wife's family in Ballygowan, all I could think of driving around was "I wish I had a bike, I wish I had a bike - oh take a picture of that - I wish I had a bike...." The roads there seem to be purpose built for ride'n

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:00 pm

Instructions

Quote:
I purchased a set a few months ago and installed them yesterday.
I bought a set a few months ago too but haven't installed them yet because I can't find clear instructions on how to do it. I've done searches but I'm still not clear on it.

Do you have a set of instructions on how to do this? Hopefully from beginning to end including removing all the plastic.

Sure would appreciate it, thanks.

BushWacker

"Let's ride we're burnin' daylight!"
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 5:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushWacker
Do you have a set of instructions on how to do this? Hopefully from beginning to end including removing all the plastic.
Try this, it doesn't include removing the plastic, but it'll get the lights done.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4217

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 7:31 pm

hid light

put my low and high beams on last weekend using the directions posted on here, worked like a charm, just make sure you have 2 or more sets of the double sided velcro from radio shack, I also used a bit of narrow foam to cushion the bottom of the ballast on the top of the headlight as well as using the velcro, I am really more impressed with the high beam than with the low beam though, but must admit a 1000% improvement in the lighting over stock.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 9:43 pm

2005?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
put my low and high beams on last weekend using the directions posted on here, worked like a charm, just make sure you have 2 or more sets of the double sided velcro from radio shack, I also used a bit of narrow foam to cushion the bottom of the ballast on the top of the headlight as well as using the velcro, I am really more impressed with the high beam than with the low beam though, but must admit a 1000% improvement in the lighting over stock.
These instructions are for a 1999, I have a 2005. Is there much difference since the newer bike have separate high and low beam headlight enclosures?

Also does anybody know some good instructions for removing the plastics on the 2005?

Thanks in advance.

BushWacker

post #9 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2006, 5:39 pm

plastic removal

1.start with tip over wings, remove the 2 screws under them
2.remove silver trim attached to body of bike, 3 screws, 2 under, and one by the power outlet
3.remove the mirrors by pushing them toward the front of the bike, will pop off.
4.remove the turn signals, one phillips screw, undo the bulb by reaching in the nose to turn the housing
5.remove all the screws on the bottom of the main fairing, dont need to remove the very bottom fairing, think it is 3 screws
6.remove screws where the turn signals are positioned, 2 screws
7.remove the lower wind deflector, 3 screws, and 1 screw attaching the top of the fairing to the frame.
8.open the center cd cover, remove the 2 screws, remove the little cover by pulling down, exposing the other 4 screws that need to be removed
9. remove 2 screws on the side of the top of the fairing in the cd cover
10. lift up the seat, 1 screw on the fairing under the seat that needs to be removed
This completely loosens the fairing, pull the section of fairing near the seat away from the bike, there is a short spike that is attached through a rubber grommet, one this is done the fairing will come off. Do the same to the other side.

Nose cone removal

1. remove the silver tabs on the windshield by grabbing, squeezing and pulling toward you, remove both
2. remove the 4 screws holding the windshield on
3.remove 4 screws in the lip where the windshield rests, 1 on each side where the arms move, might need to adjust the windshield arms to get to these
4.remove the 2 gold screws, mirrors attach to these, 2 screws on the bottom side of the nose cone
5.open the dash light, put a small screwdriver one one side and pop it out, there is a screw inside that needs to be removed
6. grab the top deflectors and pull that section of plastic off
7.loosen the screw on the headlight adjuster and remove the knob, also a washer and plastic bolt, push the cable into the hole in the dash
8. there is now only one screw holding the nose cone on, remove it, but hold onto the nose cone
9. tilt the nose cone down and remove the connections for the temp sensor, headlights and parking light
10. this should completely free the nose cone from the bike, so you can work on putting the new hid on. Follow the instructions for that that has been previously posted and there will be no problem.

Last edited by sheldan2; Apr 19th, 2006 at 5:44 pm.
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Thumbs up Removal Instructions

Thanks Sheldan2 I'm ready!

BushWacker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in