LED's - Another Idea - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

LED's - Another Idea

Just got back from a trip to Atlanta from Austin a few weeks ago and was very glad I added the yellow LED's in the below photos. Note that the rear red ones have been on for some time.

I knew when in Atlanta that I'd be riding in the dark and heavy traffic; it happened. The yellow LED's were installed to help those drivers who do a quick look over their sholder or into the mirror and can't really see a bike next to them. These LED's give them that extra chance to see me.

These LED's are from Signal Dynamics Corp. I bought them from a local HD shop. They have 3 wires 1)gnd 2) running light 3) blinker or brake. For mine I simply wanted the most light all the time and hooked up #3 to #2.

Simply put they're great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2957   Click image for larger version

Name:	led2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2958   Click image for larger version

Name:	led3.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2959  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Nice

Those look sooooooo nice, and the safety factor is a great idea. I envy you guys who know how to do this stuff.

I changed a turn signal bulb last month.

It would be neat if guys you like you set up shop at any of the regional/national rallies and did this stuff, or did "ride-in" appointments (like the various seat rebuilders) -- for pay, of course. I'm thinking that the quality of work done by owners on these kinds of unique projects is better than if you took the same project to a shop.

Nice job!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 9:35 pm

I totally agree.

Donald
NW Arkansas
2006 K1200LT Blackish sorta kinda
BMWMOA #124197
AMA #925041

The difference between committed and involved is like a ham and egg breakfast, the chicken was involved...the pig was committed!

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Those look sooooooo nice, and the safety factor is a great idea. I envy you guys who know how to do this stuff.

I changed a turn signal bulb last month.

It would be neat if guys you like you set up shop at any of the regional/national rallies and did this stuff, or did "ride-in" appointments (like the various seat rebuilders) -- for pay, of course. I'm thinking that the quality of work done by owners on these kinds of unique projects is better than if you took the same project to a shop.

Nice job!
Hey, Howard - y'all ARE goin' to CCR, yeah?!?! Well, beg, borry, or steal whatever it takes to git there, cuz you're gonna have farklitis overload all week long. Bring a digital camera and two extry batteries - and read the camera instructions 'fore you leave home so no time is wasted at the reunion!!

One of several side benefits is, some folks will show up with farkles that are outside the box (read, they don't hang out here, butt they got farkles - some different and some same). You'll see so many farkles, make ya wanna go buy a second LT to hold 'em all!!

See ya at the Chateau! You started packin' yet??
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 9:52 am

Hi Howard,
You hit on something I've been thinking about--that is, a drive-in shop to install lighting accessories. I would install not just what I make (Saddlebag Reflectors, etc.), but also things like the Signal Dynamics LEDs. The problem is, until I don't need to do my day job, I dont have the time. However, the wife, with all of her retirement benefits, may make this a possibility in the next year or so.

The other problem is my location--not that many LTs in Utah. However, we are thinking of retiring to Tucson--I suspect more bikes down that way. Hopefully, I could pull something together. It's nice to hear that there is a need...

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryschumer
Hi Howard,
You hit on something I've been thinking about--that is, a drive-in shop to install lighting accessories. I would install not just what I make (Saddlebag Reflectors, etc.), but also things like the Signal Dynamics LEDs. The problem is, until I don't need to do my day job, I dont have the time. However, the wife, with all of her retirement benefits, may make this a possibility in the next year or so.

The other problem is my location--not that many LTs in Utah. However, we are thinking of retiring to Tucson--I suspect more bikes down that way. Hopefully, I could pull something together. It's nice to hear that there is a need...
Hey, Larry - don't forget the beeg BBQ pit in the back as another drawing card!! An *RTE/w/farkle installation* destination!! And the 18-wheeler for travelin' and setup at CCRs and choice rallies.

Hmmmm - after you leave your day job, I wonder why they call it 'retirement'!!!!

Good luck to ya, Larry.
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Howard - y'all ARE goin' to CCR, yeah?!?! Well, beg, borry, or steal whatever it takes to git there, cuz you're gonna have farklitis overload all week long. Bring a digital camera and two extry batteries - and read the camera instructions 'fore you leave home so no time is wasted at the reunion!!

One of several side benefits is, some folks will show up with farkles that are outside the box (read, they don't hang out here, butt they got farkles - some different and some same). You'll see so many farkles, make ya wanna go buy a second LT to hold 'em all!!

See ya at the Chateau! You started packin' yet??
Well, uh... no. But I am going to STC II, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!

CCR is during the school year. My wife (a teacher) isn't able to take time off during the year and I like to travel with her so we aren't going.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Larry - don't forget the beeg BBQ pit in the back as another drawing card!! An *RTE/w/farkle installation* destination!! And the 18-wheeler for travelin' and setup at CCRs and choice rallies.

Hmmmm - after you leave your day job, I wonder why they call it 'retirement'!!!!

Good luck to ya, Larry.
Larry, Dick has the answer: retire, set yourself up with a truck (w/sleeper cab) and trailer, stock it with parts and tools, and tour the country doing the stuff you like to do on bikes. Be sure to leave room in the trailer for your bike, of course. All your expenses are deductible!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:48 pm

You know, that's really not a bad idea. I'm going to be giving that some serious thought. My whole life could be one, giant tax deduction :-). Yeah, retirement does not equal rest, that's for sure. As it is now, I'm actually too busy to go to my day job--I have to make time to go to work. Amazing.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #10 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:54 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

And I have the rig just for you. All set up with a Handy Air Lift embedded in the trailer floor, parts bins, storage area and the other half is a fully self contained sleeper.

Let me know when you are ready.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
And I have the rig just for you. All set up with a Handy Air Lift embedded in the trailer floor, parts bins, storage area and the other half is a fully self contained sleeper.

Let me know when you are ready.
Hey, Raffy - does it have a slide-out porch with a BBQ pit on it??
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 3:17 pm

Well, maybe I'll have to add the BBQ pit...

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #13 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2006, 3:44 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

No. But it does have prop up vendor wings and an awning for shade.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in