Confused on Lighting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 6:41 am Thread Starter

Question Confused on Lighting

With the LT my touring has increased dramatically and I find myself riding at night more. So, I now understand what all of the complaints about the OEM headlight are about. I was thinking of putting lights under the tip over wings, but then again I like them under the front cowling. I know this is a personal preference decision, but which one gives better road lighting? Also, the more I seriously look at the lighting options the more confused I become. PIAA 1100X lights seem to be popular, but I notice there is also a 1100X Powersport, the 0004 model and several others. I admit to not knowing what HID lighting even is. Will a headlight replacement bulb really make that much of a difference? Bottom line is I want to light up the road, be seen better in the daylight, with lights that look nice on the bike and not spend a ton of money. Other than that, everything is going just fine.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 7:17 am

A HID headlight makes a HUGE improvement over stock.

Find someone locally who has HID and PIAA 1100's and compare at night. The PIAAs can only be used as a high beam suppliment as they will blind on coming vehicles. A HID low beam may do the same unless you have it pointed all of the way down. I have never had anyone flash their lights at me with my HID.

Once you see them, you will buy the HIDs.

Just be aware, HID's refits are illegal in the US. IMHO, I would rather see and not wreck.
post #3 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 7:22 am

HID is not just a replacement bulb. There should be a ballast and a starter. It will make an unbelievable difference. I chose the MOTO Lights that fit on the forks, they light up the road right in front of the bike.

I would suggest the HID first and then decide how much more light you will need. The HID will make enough difference by itself. although the Moto Lights will give you some visibility with other motorist. Although I think lightning would not get some peoples attention.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 7:26 am

I have preached against HID lighting for some time now...but only because I feel that one needs supplemental lighting FIRST, before installing an HID kit. Once you have something else in place, then you can consider an HID replacement kit. The price of HID kits are finally coming down too. Glad I waited. I will be ordering a kit within the next few weeks (months?)...you know, when I get around to it. Perhaps a winter project. In northeast Ohio, I need a few of those.

I am a Motolight fan, but obviously PIAA makes some pretty good stuff. IMHO, the wider you can place the lights, the more visible you are AND the better they lamps will light the road. I have two sets of Motolights, and the outer pair gives me more visibility all around.

Motolights are NOT cheap...but the quality is top notch. And I simply can't say enough about the company. A class act!

As far as what HID is...basically it's a complete replacement for you H7 and/or H4 lamps. Kinda think of them as fluorescent bulbs on Mega-Steroids! You can read about it by clicking HERE.

And to answer your question about replacing your stock lamps with aftermarket. IMHO, some aftermarket bulbs may make your light look whiter, but NOT brighter. I purchased a Silvania SilverStar and compared it to my brother's LT with the OEM bulb...no difference as far as lighting up the road. Just looked a little whiter, like I've already stated.

Good luck. You have every reason to be VERY confused.
post #5 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:53 am

Brian,
I bought the under the mirror brackets and hella Micro's(non hid) From Raffy and I'm very pleased with them. Its nice to get the lights up higher.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #6 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:26 am

Then you were "preaching" about something you had no experience with. Not a good thing to do, as you develop no credibility. After doing a lot of lighting mods on my bike, and riding it a LOT at night for 4 years, I am solidly in the camp of "HID FIRST", then other additional lighting. Mainly because I feel it is more important to actually see at night than have the additional "to be seen" lighting for daylight, which is also important. (If one does not ride at night, then that has to be taken into account). I also noticed that after adding the HID low beam, I had far fewer people "surprised" by my existence when lane splitting than I did with stock lighting. If I get another bike when I get moved to TN I am going to really miss lane splitting!

When you get your HID, you may switch camps too.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:37 am
Super Moderator

I agree with Mr. Shealey on this one. If the basic lighting isn't good enough and there's an upgrade path, fix that first (via HID in this case). Once you have the base issue resolved, then, if needed, adding other lighting for enhanced visibility, wider light patterns at nights (watch for those horned rats ), fog, etc., is the logical next step.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:43 am

LOGICAL?! You want to blur this thread with...with.....LOGIC?! What's next? FACTS!!!???!!!!
post #9 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:02 am

Seems the highway patrol likes the moto light because they are highly effective at being spotted in the daytime. Motorists are complaining about the HID lights being too bright or more likely they are just aimed too high. There is a consideration to ban the HIDs. Probably due the 'screw them we'll blind them' attitude 'some' motorcyclists have about others in general. The moto lights do help with night light, and I can see moto lights in the brightest sun for the added visibility and the add in being able to see at night. HIDs are probable better than sliced bread for seeing at night, but be considerate of fellow motorist or they are gonna be out of here.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #10 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:30 am

I am pretty sure MOST of the complaints are "Those darned blue lights", which are mostly blue coated halogen bulbs installed as a fashion statement, not true HID (or those silly 6000 degree plus HID's). HID is no worse than halogen if aimed properly, and in a lens/reflector system that does not scatter the light. There are a pretty high percentage of factory HIDs on the road now, and those are not a problem for oncoming drivers. Fortunately, the LT lens/reflector still has a very nice, sharp top cut-off of the low beam when converted, and if aimed properly does not bother oncoming drivers. With over three years of heavy riding, with a lot of it at night, I was never flashed by an oncoming driver. I aimed my low beam so that it was below the normal trunk lip and side view mirrors of cars in front of me.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #11 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 1:34 pm

I thought I would chime here and relay my experience this morning at 7 AM.

A car almost (close call) pulled out in front off me in an intersection. After I successfully avoided him by using the other lane he follwed me as pulled into the next service station and said sorry. NIce of him, but what was interesting was that he mentioned my one light blended into the car behind me giving giving him a false impression of my bike being further back.

My though is that having driving lights lower, or spaced differently than a car would help. I do not have HID's just the OEM Light.

I would wonder if a single HID would help in this case, but I sure Aux lights would.

Don
2001 K1200LT "Blue Bomber"
Vancouver Island, BC
post #12 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 1:57 pm

Another option comes from http://www.ducatidesigns.com/. I am not associated with them except that my bike was the beta bike. I just plain like the function and look of this option.
post #13 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 2:31 pm

I'm with David -- both posts!

A properly-aimed, 4100K HID is *not* a problem -- I don't get flashed, and the drivers around DC are not known for politeness!

Sorry, Joe -- it's not often I will say this, but you are completely off the mark about the order to proceed for improved *lighting* (i.e., improving what *you* can see). HID first, HID first, HID first! By far the single most effective way to increase lighting for low-beam operation.

If, however, the objective is to increase *visibility* (what *they* see), then you're right -- go with mutliple lights and make a rolling light display.

Me, I wanted both, so I did the HID and a pair of 1100X's under the nose at the same time, just as soon as the new bike made it into the garage.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #14 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 3:02 pm

Mark -- Perhaps I failed to make my case . . . and obviously, please feel free to correct me if my perception is wrong. I have truly grown to appreciate the output of HIDs. Just trying to be smart about it. (Hard to believe, I know.)

Say for instance all you do to a stock LT is the low-beam/high-beam HID conversion. Then you're on a trip and you lose your HID low beam, for whatever reason (the relay, the ballast, the bulb, etc.). You're pretty much S.O.L., IMO. Maybe I'm wrong here. You tell me. Until the bulbs and components are readily available at auto parts store...I believe that running both an HID low AND high-beam without supplemental lighting is risky business.

My low-beam SilverStar burned out when I was heading to Seattle. I survived on my Motolights ALONE, part way. Then I realized that I could run my stock high-beam and adjust the light all the way down. This is the main reason I have finally decided that I am going to convert to an HID low-beam. I'll keep my stock high-beam for flashing cagers, and if I should ever need a backup low-beam.
post #15 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Say for instance all you do to a stock LT is the low-beam/high-beam HID conversion. Then you're on a trip and you lose your HID low beam, for whatever reason (the relay, the ballast, the bulb, etc.). You're pretty much S.O.L., IMO. Maybe I'm wrong here. You tell me. Until the bulbs and components are readily available at auto parts store...I believe that running both an HID low AND high-beam without supplemental lighting is risky business.
Definitely *not* SOL. On the road failures are no problem -- as part of the HID install, you just shove the low beam socket off to the side of the headlight housing. If the HID dies, pop the housing cover, remove the HID bulb, drop a stock halogen bulb, and plug it in.

IMO, reliability is less of an issue with the HID than a stock halogen; it's rare you ever hear of a failure which was not due to a poor installation (bad connection, relay installed where it can take in water, etc.). Reports of failures of the components themselves are *very* rare. Given the relative lives of the bulbs, you're far more likely to burn out a conventional incandescent bulb.

Besides, if you're *really* still concerned, before a long trip you can just toss the stock halogen into your bags before you leave (so you don't have to find an auto parts store that stocks an H7, which you'll have to do if the stock H7 dies).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #16 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 3:30 pm

I do a buttload of night riding thanks to my job. I like Joe's approach with aux lights first. I have PIAA 1100XXs on brackets under the fairing (below and either side of the high beam). The PIAAs are awesome and do quite the job. I will next do an HID low beam, again for the same reason that Joe mentions - to keep high beam cage-flash capability and to fill in what little area the PIAAs don't light.

Gregg L.
'05 LT, Lt Metallic Yellow (of course)
Southeast PA
post #17 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT05RT04
I do a buttload...
STOP!

Is there any other possible expression you could use? I just can't get past that!

(Darn homophobia!)
post #18 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 4:27 pm

On an 05 if the low beam goes, you can easily lower the aim of the high beam or swap back to a Halogen bulb.

In addition, HID's should last longer than the bike.

The HID is the ONLY thing that I have added to the bike that I would not give up. They are that good. Once again, do a side by side comparison, this will sell you.
post #19 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 4:31 pm

I didn't need "sold" on HID...just had reservations and/or other considerations. I am ready to move forward now. I'm just glad I have my Motolights still. Love the look, and I love the triangulation.
post #20 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 4:40 pm

I would love to see the look on your face the first time you ride with the HID low beam at night. May be hard to get your helmet off until the smile subsides. Kinda like riding an LT the first time.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #21 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

OK. Good. I'm glad I asked because I'm certainly not confused now ! So...For best road lighting HID low beam ($700 ??). For best visibility Motolights or Hella or PIAA driving lights. Where I live we never (as in ever) get to use our high beam lights because there is so much traffic. Does that rule out the PIAA lights? Some here have said that PIAA lights are for high beam only. Can't they be be on all of the time and pointed a little downward? As far as under the wings...it sounds like they are for making a wider stance for others to see you better. Anyway, I have started to save up because if I follow everyone's advice I will be investing in $1200 worth of lighting!!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #22 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 6:21 pm

Having been in the situation of losing my low beam on a dark stretch of twisties in th Cuyamaca's, and fumbling for the bright switch while trying to slow through a sweeper, and barely missing going to see Jesus a little early, I highly recommend additional lighting for that sake.

I also get a lot of comments on the Motolights I have mounted under the tipover wings: They say I stick out like a sore thumb!
post #23 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 6:27 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
OK. Good. I'm glad I asked because I'm certainly not confused now ! So...For best road lighting HID low beam ($700 ??). For best visibility Motolights or Hella or PIAA driving lights. Where I live we never (as in ever) get to use our high beam lights because there is so much traffic. Does that rule out the PIAA lights? Some here have said that PIAA lights are for high beam only. Can't they be be on all of the time and pointed a little downward? As far as under the wings...it sounds like they are for making a wider stance for others to see you better. Anyway, I have started to save up because if I follow everyone's advice I will be investing in $1200 worth of lighting!!

Not $700. More like $120-$260 depending where you buy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #24 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Question Where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Not $700. More like $120-$260 depending where you buy.
Any suggestions on where to buy at that price? Also, are the PIAA 1100 only for high beam?

Thanks for the information, I am about to take the auxiliary light plunge also.
post #25 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
OK. Good. I'm glad I asked because I'm certainly not confused now !

Anyway, I have started to save up because if I follow everyone's advice I will be investing in $1200 worth of lighting!!
Well, I decided on MotoLights as my first light upgrade. I have pretty good night vision for an 'old' guy and ran about a month with standard halogens and $330 set of caliper mounted MotoLights. My first real nighttime trip in the boonies.. at 3 AM returning from a work assignment I could not cruise at the 65 MPH speed because I was over driving my lights looking for pot holes, small animal and road debris. Next day I ordered an HID from England for another $300...

My advice is.. it's not just one of the options are needed it's both. Any more than that is overkill for me.. less than 5% of my night time riding is where I can use the standard halogen high beam..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #26 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishS
Any suggestions on where to buy at that price? Also, are the PIAA 1100 only for high beam?

Yes -- I, too, would like to know (a) where to buy HID and Motolights (other than at dealer's price; but perhaps they are not discounted...?), and (b) who I can hire to install them. I would do it myself except I don't have the skills, tools, time, inclination or desire!

Priced Motolights at the dealer recently. $345 for caliper-mounted Motos plus $100 labor.

Something I didn't see mentioned: isn't the '06 LT going to have HID lamp(s)?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #27 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:59 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:

There was an HID thread just recently with the names of the vendors and their pricing.

The following of the top off my head:

www.xenondepot.com
www.hidonline.com
www.hid-online.com ($260)

There are others.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #28 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:00 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
...Priced Motolights at the dealer recently. $345 for caliper-mounted Motos plus $100 labor.

Something I didn't see mentioned: isn't the '06 LT going to have HID lamp(s)?

Yup, that's the going price on Motolights. $100 labor is not bad. It takes an hour to an hour and one half hour to do the install.

The '06 LT has the optional HID (circa $350.00). You would have to order one with the HID kit from the factory, at least initially.

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Oct 7th, 2005 at 10:42 pm.
post #29 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:10 pm

Lites

I've had the Moto Lights on my RT and they were great - had the PIAA 1100's on the GT and they were not that great. I put the HID on my LT and it is wonderful.. Raffy's post is where I got the HID system. Installed them myself.
post #30 of 58 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:31 pm
Prodigal Son

http://www.hid-online.com/hidonline/...t_h7_4100k.htm
This was one of the very first mods(and one of the very best)
Janet is a pleasure to work with , helpful and efficient>
Translation: Buy Here.
\
Below is part of a post from the old forum:
TO SEE --- have the 4100K lo-beam kit from HID 0nline--spectacular.
To be seen: I added two sets of lights (and they do help me see --some)
(1) I added to pencil beam 50 watt Pilot brand driving lights in the cowl (cheap about $20) and
(2) some Navigator brand "Crystal-Rod" 35 watt flat-beam fogs under the wings (also cheap about $25).(BTW, I think Pilot made them also)
The money saved over MOTO's or PIAA's I put into the low beam HID.

Should you wish to look elsewhere here are some of the places I researched before buying from HID On-Line--
(Some of which are of lesser quality )
http://www.farklemasters.com/philips_hid.html
http://www.ns-sirius.com/manufacturer/1597/1597.html
http://www.hidkitsonsale.com/
http://www.xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=10
http://www.importstuning.com/
http://www.hidexpress.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=21#
http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...reet-Bikes.htm
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-6854.cfm
http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/realhid.htm
http://www.coolbulbs.com/HIDKits_body.asp
http://www.xenonfactory.com/products/hid/philips.htm
http://www.lightlens.com/bulbs.htm
http://www.misterjung.com/dualbeam.htm
http://www.autoconcepts.com.au/prod_lights_hid.asp
http://www.plasmagarage.com/HIDkits.html
http://www.eurodezigns.com/
http://www.coolbulbs.com/HIDKits_body.asp
http://store.yahoo.com/jwspeaker/himohe.html
http://www.intensepower.com/hidlights.html

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red

Last edited by early1; Oct 7th, 2005 at 10:45 pm.
post #31 of 58 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 12:22 am

Thumbs up lights, another option

www.saeng.com has an option called NightCutters that I will be installing.on the wings. they offer several mounting options and the output and quality of great. I have a fog version for the right side and a driving version for the left side.

toby in new york
post #32 of 58 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 9:01 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
There was an HID thread just recently with the names of the vendors and their pricing.

The following of the top off my head:

www.xenondepot.com
www.hidonline.com
www.hid-online.com ($260)

There are others.
Thanks for the links. I better go down and see how many bulbs I have!
post #33 of 58 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 1:37 am

Do the HID Conversion first!

I just converted my 05 LT tonight and love the difference.

The verdict: wow, Wow and WOW!

I was considering the caliper mounted moto lights, but after reading the posts here and Mike Jones' conversion, this is where I went for my first lighting upgrade. Its about a third less expensive than the moto lights and I felt it would produce a better result.

If you feel you need additional lighting go for it. I don't feel the urgency to get the moto lights now after installing the HID light. I'm still considering them only for directional lighting on curves and low speed manuvers.

Xenon Depot is where I ordered my kit. The kit did not come with instructions, but its obvious how to connect everything once you lay it all out. The kit was spot on, nicely packaged, plug and play, and its reversable. Follow Mike Jones advice at wBM with the back cover modifications.

I'm coming from a 2003 Gold Wing where the lights were fantastic. The stock headlight on the LT was my biggest complaint until now. This single HID light is equal to or better than the two headlights on the Wing.

BMW is smart to add this on the 06 LT to keep the great styling. If you convert, you will not be disappointed.

HID get my vote for first lighting mod.

Dave Allen
Birmingham, AL
2005 K 1200 LT, Graphite
2005 BMW 330 CI Convertible, Titanium Silver

Last edited by Crestwood330; Oct 20th, 2005 at 1:43 am.
post #34 of 58 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood330

I was considering the caliper mounted moto lights, but after reading the posts here and Mike Jones' conversion, this is where I went for my first lighting upgrade. Its about a third less expensive than the moto lights and I felt it would produce a better result.

If you feel you need additional lighting go for it. I don't feel the urgency to get the moto lights now after installing the HID light. I'm still considering them only for directional lighting on curves and low speed manuvers.
Dave,

I agree that the HID is a good first option. It will help you see at night, but it does nothing for the front end visibility during the day time. I have been saved several because of the unique triangular light effect that MotoLights and the HID provide.

I will be in Birmingham Monday through Wednesday nights next week, if you would like to see what MotoLights do for visibility.

HTH

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #35 of 58 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:16 am
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Exclamation HID Plus Motolights

I agree with those arguing to first do the HID. The best thing I've ever done to my LT. But for being seen there is nothing better IMHO than having HID plus the motolights that are caliper mounted. The "triangle of light" created I believe makes the bike much more visible.

I have had similar experience with a single light blending with cars making it appear that the motorcycle was much further back.

I personally think that the HID is a minimum for driving at night but to seen for safety add the motolights as well.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #36 of 58 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:36 am
Senior Member (ret.)

yup. I agree. HID first and Motolight as a compliment.

If my word/advice is worth anything around here, I can vouch for the triangle pattern. Last night while heading home after dinner, Mike and Roger were coming up behind me on I-5 and they made a distinct pattern and could easily be distinguished as being other than a car. Mike has the amber Motolight bulbs while Roger has the clear. Both stood out amongst several cars. Mike's bike stood out more due to the amber lights (I have those on mine too).

The way I look at it, it's a safety investment for $345.00 and easily justifyable.

Raffy
post #37 of 58 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:29 am

Steve R,

I will be available Tuesday and Wednesday, please e-mail me for specifics.

I installed the OEM fog lights on my Wing also for the extra daytime visibility and I will do something similar on the LT.

I was considering the wing tip mounted version first, the caliper mount second and tucked up under the high beam third.

I noticed LT owners mounting their lights in 1 of 5 areas and some are lit up like a UFO. What is the favorite mounting position of the moto lights for daytime visibility and effective night time vision? Which is least annoying to oncoming drivers and drivers you follow. I don't follow any vehicle too closely where the HID would be aggravating in the rear view mirror and I adjust the light angle when necessary.

I'm all for daytime visibility too, but my immediate concern was getting the best nightime lighting since its getting darker earlier now. I hope to get the moto lights on the LT before daylight standard time when it dark at 5pm.

My picks are wing tip mount or caliper mount, what to you guys prefer?

Dave Allen
Birmingham, AL
2005 K1200LT, Graphite
2005 330 CI Convertible, Titanium Silver
post #38 of 58 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 7:55 pm

PowerSports Lights

PIAA introduced the PowerSports versions last year for the motorcycle and ATV Markets. They all have a common foot, which is different from the automotive versions of the 1100PX and 004X Series Lights. This foot utilizes a 10mm bolt for mounting, except when used in conjunction with our new Ezy-Mount brackets made exclusively for the PowerSport line of lights. We include special adapter h/w to allow use of our standard 10/32 screw we have used for many years. Note: PowerSport lights will not work with my original Ezy-Mount brackets, as the mounting hole in the new foot is in a diff location...and would position the light bodies such that interference with body panels and/or fender would result. So we produced special brackets for the PIAA Powersports lights, and you can only get them thru PIAA distributors and their dealer networks. We are also providing PIAA their complete line of ATV Brackets, for certain Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda ATV models.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #39 of 58 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:14 pm

I was reading the thread about HID lighting or aux lighting, etc.

Wondered what people used on your K bikes?

I currently have a '93 BMW K1100LT and the Stock 50/60w headlamp was utter CRAP!
Couldn't see at all at night, and I've done a Lot of night riding in the last year (28,600 miles total last year), including a 16hr straight ride.

Now, I've added AUX light FIRST (PIAA 810 right under the cowl) and it improved greatly.
Then I added the Halogen 80/100 light which helped even more.

Unfortunately, riding with one or the other significantly diminishes my visibility on the dark Pennsylvania highways and especially the PA Turnpike.

I'm am ready for HID Ligting, but I need to know what kit, light to get to replace my headlamp AND if there are any AUX HID lights To supplement my PIAAs on those Dark Moonless 2am rides.

Any kits, websites, technical data would be appreciated.

Thanks.

~toby~
post #40 of 58 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:32 pm

Quote:

I actually ride ALL the time with my PIAA 1100X lights on right under the nose of my K1100LT.

Only time I turn them off is if I'm in close quarters two lane two way traffic then I toggle.
I also use them in conjunction with an 80/100 halogen headlamp.

Want to move headlamp to HID.. next step in the evolutionary ladder.
post #41 of 58 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:05 pm

I can't believe no one mentioned the HID low beam conversion kit offered by CQ Lighting. They offered a really good group buy right after I purchased my low beam kit for about $100 (a bargain at that price). The price on the website is now $89.00 with free shipping. I saw a post a while back that CQ was still honoring a discount for LT list members. Might be worth an inquiry. Here's a link to the product page for the 5000k low beam kit: http://cqlight.ca/product_info.php?c...products_id=69

My bike came with cowl mounted PIAA 1100s, pointed low enough to augment the low beam. I almost never get flashed. I ran them all the time and didn't realize how sorry the stock low beam was until I accidentally turned off my PIAAs on a dark road one night. For a second I thought I had lost all lighting. Yikes.

When I installed the HID low beam, it was so drastically different that I can barely tell when my PIAAs are on now, except I get a little better light on the sides.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd do the low beam HID conversion (for $89 this is a no brainer). If money were no object I'd next add the caliper mounted Motolights for the "being seen factor". After that, perhaps some higher mounted PIAAs or Hellas, slaved to the high beam and pointed accordingly.
post #42 of 58 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1100LT_AllDayLong
I currently have a '93 BMW K1100LT and the Stock 50/60w headlamp was utter CRAP!
~toby~
Toby, is your current 50/60w bulb an H4 by any chance? Converting an H4 to HID presents a challenge as both high and low beams are in one bulb. I have seen 2 types of conversion from H4 to HID. The first is simply going with low beam HID and not be concerned with high beam. Well that only works if you have a second headlight on your bike to use as the high beam.
The second type is a sliding cover inside the lamp housing that masks a portion of the HID bulb to make it high/low on demand. I have no experience whatsoever but I had done a bit of research for a friend who wanted to upgrade the headlight on his Norton.
If your headlight is NOT an H4 then disregard everything I said!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #43 of 58 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 8:07 pm

Zippy_gg

First of all, LOL, she left you because you were never there... LOL!

Second, Yes, in the K1100LT it is an H4 bulb! I traded the stock 50/60w bulb back in August for a 80/100w bulb and it makes a bigger difference, but without the PIAA1100X aux lights on, it's till very difficult to see on moonless nights.

I have been looking at the Bi-xenon light at xenonlink.com at 6000K for $100. with the rotating "sleeve" to make high and low beams, but not sure if it's the way to go or not.

I just want to know if anyone has any experience's, opinion, or suggestions of which H4 bulb to go with. I'm reluctant to do JUST a low beam though.
post #44 of 58 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1100LT_AllDayLong

I have been looking at the Bi-xenon light at xenonlink.com at 6000K for $100. with the rotating "sleeve" to make high and low beams, but not sure if it's the way to go or not.
Which ever lamp you choose I would suggest that you go no higher than 5000K and ideally it should be 4100K - 4300K for the best overall depth of field . I have a 4100K Low beam and a 5000K high beam and there is significant difference in the perceived illumination by the rider. 5000K has a bluish tint where the 4100K is white. It is less eye catching but provides your eyes with a better overall light pattern.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #45 of 58 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
I can't believe no one mentioned the HID low beam conversion kit offered by CQ Lighting. They offered a really good group buy right after I purchased my low beam kit for about $100 (a bargain at that price). The price on the website is now $89.00 with free shipping. I saw a post a while back that CQ was still honoring a discount for LT list members. Might be worth an inquiry. Here's a link to the product page for the 5000k low beam kit: http://cqlight.ca/product_info.php?c...products_id=69

My bike came with cowl mounted PIAA 1100s, pointed low enough to augment the low beam. I almost never get flashed. I ran them all the time and didn't realize how sorry the stock low beam was until I accidentally turned off my PIAAs on a dark road one night. For a second I thought I had lost all lighting. Yikes.

When I installed the HID low beam, it was so drastically different that I can barely tell when my PIAAs are on now, except I get a little better light on the sides.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd do the low beam HID conversion (for $89 this is a no brainer). If money were no object I'd next add the caliper mounted Motolights for the "being seen factor". After that, perhaps some higher mounted PIAAs or Hellas, slaved to the high beam and pointed accordingly.

Did you have ANY issues installing it, did you ahve to get any extra parts or harnesses to install to make it compatable, etc?
Did you have a good expereince with cqlight? Customer service etc.
I''m looking at their 5000k bi-xenon H4 kit... nice price!

Thanks.
post #46 of 58 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Which ever lamp you choose I would suggest that you go no higher than 5000K and ideally it should be 4100K - 4300K for the best overall depth of field . I have a 4100K Low beam and a 5000K high beam and there is significant difference in the perceived illumination by the rider. 5000K has a bluish tint where the 4100K is white. It is less eye catching but provides your eyes with a better overall light pattern.

Jackd.... Which brand kit (website?) did you use for the 5000k and 4100k? Do you have any night time photos perchance?

And what's the general cost I'd be looking at, of course I have the H4 bulb, so there may be a difference in cost.

Has anyone had any experience with the HID50.com version of the 50W HID conversion kits? I hear they're even brighter than the standard HID, but not readily available.

Thanks.
post #47 of 58 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:27 am

The CQ kit was truly plug and play. Essentially you pull out the stock bulb, and the power leads on one end of the CQ kit plugs right in. Of course, instead of a halogen bulb you have a ballast, igniter, and the HID bulb.

See the excellent instructions posted by Joe (Messenger 13) under the Articles link at the top of the website.

The only problem I had was that my CQ kit had a plastic sleeve or spacer on the bottom of the HID bulb that is not needed. At first glance it appeared to be part of the base but it was a separate collar that slides right off. I guess it must be needed for some applications but not for the LT. With the collar in place I could not get the wire bulb holder to attach. I called Joe at home (I had observed Joe installing an HID kit at Spring Training Camp) and he knew exactly what to do.

I posted some pictures of the kit and the collar if you want to see what I'm taking about. Here's a link: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17903

Last edited by wcarter; Jan 4th, 2008 at 11:34 am.
post #48 of 58 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Thanks wcarter!

Saw the post and pictures, seems to make perfect sense.

and looks like it plugs directly into the bike's wiring, truly plug and play!

Unless i hear anything different, i think I'll be going with the cqlight HID kit.

Although i think I"m going to try the 5000k light.
I still have the PIAA 1100x right under the 'nose' of the bike.

See pic:
[IMG]inserting image file[/IMG]

Any suggestions on additional lighting? or is that enough? (it's NEVER enough!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1100LT_front_w_LightsOn.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	15920   Click image for larger version

Name:	K`1100LT_Front_lights_idle.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	15921  
post #49 of 58 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Lights

As a former HD rider I use to having what is called Passing Lights in addition to the Headlight. That gives the on coming vehicle a more horizontal look at you than vertical.

My LT is being delivered tomorrow (I hope). I had to Spots installed under the fairing and two additional spots down on the calipers. I made sure they are not pointed offensively up at the on coming. However, don't ever say you didn't see me. Now it might look like a 737 coming down the runway. If it doesn't work we will try another solution.
post #50 of 58 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 2:35 pm

I have found that the Extra lights help as long as other drivers can differentiate them from the head light.

I also found that my riding suit helps a lot as well!!

(see pic)

I also found that if i do NOT riding in people's BLIND SPOT helps as well!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom01_retina_burning_yellow.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	15922  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in