Brightest Auxiliary Lights? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old May 25th, 2012, 6:43 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Brightest Auxiliary Lights?

The PIAA Cross Country auxiliary lights had a bulb that burned out for the 3rd time in three years. Rather than replace it, I want more powerful driving lights, slightly wider than a traditional pencil beam pattern. I was never satisfied with the PIAA lights. I don't mind spending the $$$ for a great lighting kit. Does anyone have experience with:
- Future Vision HID 90mm HID Auxiliary Driving Light Kit?
- Hella Micro DE Xenon auxiliary lights?
A few years ago I saw an LT with very large auxiliary lights made by Philips. I do not know which model and I was unable to locate a match through several internet searches as well as checking the lighting sub-forum. Whatever lights I get, I'll find a shop to fabricate mounting brackets if none are available. I'd like to mount the lights high as possible, and without the risk of light bleeding back into the windscreen.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old May 25th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Re: Brightest Auxiliary Lights?

Change your Piaa's over to HID... Shouldn't be THAT difficult...

Just somewhere under the tupperware on either side for the ballasts...

Get a kit with some longish wires between the ballasts and the lamp...And get the Ballast/ignitor in one box ......Route the wires out to the Piaa's thru some spiral wrap or something like that....

Off you go..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old May 25th, 2012, 9:11 pm

I was very happy with the Hella FF200s on my previous LT, and I really miss them (or something equally capable) on my newer LT. The lights are relatively big, were mounted on BMR mounts beneath the mirrors, and really put out a tunnel of light in front of the bike. Great for riding at night and having a decent chance of seeing a deer before you hit it. These are not conspicuity lights - they are full-on aux. driving lights.

Take a look at Clearwater's LED lights. They have 2 sizes, and are dimmable - this gives you conspicuity during the daytime and nighttime, and powerful driving lights at night. Photos on their web site.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 37 Old May 26th, 2012, 1:19 am

You might consider the Clearwater Glenda
and Clearwater Krista high performance LED lights.
They both draw a fraction of power draw compared to HIDs and no ballast.
Glendas are like the Motolights
and give you conspicuity and short range lighting, much like fog lights
The Kristas will replace your PIAA driving lights for long distance penetration.
Both come with a dimmer switch.
Less power draw, no heat, same amount of illumination.
post #5 of 37 Old May 26th, 2012, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Thanks for the information on the Clearwater Krista lights. The PIAA Cross Country lights are HID lights and I was not impressed with how much light was projected down range. The PIAAs were fairly good for illuminating the side of the road but not well suited for riding at a spirited pace on the freeway at night. After I get some input from riders who have used the Krista and the Future Vision 90mm HID driving lights, I'll make my order. Thanks again and I'll post a review once I get a new set installed.
Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #6 of 37 Old May 26th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG
Thanks for the information on the Clearwater Krista lights. The PIAA Cross Country lights are HID lights and I was not impressed with how much light was projected down range. The PIAAs were fairly good for illuminating the side of the road but not well suited for riding at a spirited pace on the freeway at night. After I get some input from riders who have used the Krista and the Future Vision 90mm HID driving lights, I'll make my order. Thanks again and I'll post a review once I get a new set installed.
Scott
If you do searches for "krista", "clearwater", or "future vision" I'm sure you'll see several threads out there, on this site. A number of people have installed them.

I sent Clearwater an email; they replied promptly. I followed that up with a list of specific product/performance questions via email. They didn't respond. I called them; they told me they were at a week-long event, etc. I need to follow-up with them on these questions, as I am ready to purchase and have them installed. Just need to find someone to install them for me.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 37 Old Jun 14th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Wellllllll??????????????

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 37 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 8:17 am Thread Starter
SEG

PIAA agreed to swap out the old PIAA HID Cross Country auxiliary lights for PIAA 530 LED lights. The PIAA lights were not my first choice but since they were free and I could use the old wiring harness, it was too good of a deal to pass up. I have not had a chance to try them out; I will be away for a few months but will provide a product evaluation later in the summer.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #9 of 37 Old Jul 31st, 2012, 7:59 am

Take a look at the Baja Designs Fuego. HID that can pendant mount on BMR mounts.
Has internal ballast.
The PIAA Cross Country / Trailech is crap. Reasons are simple but come down to the unique and too small HID capsule not being reliable, use of a poorly sealed indoor lamp reflector masquerading as a driving light, and poor electronics design for the ballast. The 30W version has had at leat 2 versions of the ballast and 3 of the bulb since it was introduced with no appreciable improvement in reliability and output is poor for a 30W HID..

For supplementing low beam (but no where near the long reach of the Fuegos), try the Denali round version - I run the identical VisionX 120 on EzyMounts under the oil cooler. These LED types are a good supplement to low beams, can be left always on if aimed correctly and use little power.

You have to have HID or very high power halogen for the longest possible reach- LEDs aren't there yet though the most powerful do have a usefully long reach compared to those of 3 or 4 years ago..

My driving lights are Hella FF50s using 65W Osram H-7s. I retain this setup because it has ample output and is wired to switch with the hi beam on the bike that also uses the same bulb. Convenient ergonomics. Would replace it with the Fuegos if I need ultimate output but this is already plenty when used with my HID main beams and Vision X LEDs - the set approaches 17,000 lumens total. Going to the Fuegos would boost it to a bit under 20,000 lumens...
post #10 of 37 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Re: Glenda's

The Clearwater Glenda's will mount on my light bracket for the LT's. Slight modification required in order to mount. Glenn is familiar with the changes required..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
You might consider the Clearwater Glenda
and Clearwater Krista high performance LED lights.
They both draw a fraction of power draw compared to HIDs and no ballast.
Glendas are like the Motolights
and give you conspicuity and short range lighting, much like fog lights
The Kristas will replace your PIAA driving lights for long distance penetration.
Both come with a dimmer switch.
Less power draw, no heat, same amount of illumination.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #11 of 37 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Has anyone tried the Rigid Industries LED Auxiliary Lights ? They are LED and super high quality. I know that they are huge in the off-road community.

Steve

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your BMW LT, and the most up-to-date BMW LT lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

post #12 of 37 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Smile Re: Brightest Auxiliary Lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Has anyone tried the Rigid Industries LED Auxiliary Lights ? They are LED and super high quality. I know that they are huge in the off-road community.

Steve
I have been using the D2 Dualy, they are brighter and lit up the road further then any other led light I have tried to date. And on a side note, no electronic noise to affect blue tooth communications.
post #13 of 37 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 11:20 am

Thanks for your feedback. This is a new product line for us and so far the only complaint we have received about Rigid Industries is the price...

Is this the product that you have?

While we cannot offer discounts specifically on this product due to strict MAP pricing policies you do get a 5% coupon code by signing up to the KBcarstuff.com mailing list which you can use on any product in our store.

Steve

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your BMW LT, and the most up-to-date BMW LT lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

post #14 of 37 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 2:21 pm

These Rigid Industries products look interesting. I'm curious to see how they compare to Clearwater Lights' Krista LEDs, in actual usage.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #15 of 37 Old Aug 10th, 2012, 3:38 pm

If you are interested in doing a product review in exchange for a discounted price let me know. I'm sure we can work something out =)

Steve

Use our

1-877-522-2701 |

post #16 of 37 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 12:15 am

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. This is a new product line for us and so far the only complaint we have received about Rigid Industries is the price...

Is this the product that you have?

While we cannot offer discounts specifically on this product due to strict MAP pricing policies you do get a 5% coupon code by signing up to the KBcarstuff.com mailing list which you can use on any product in our store.

Steve
These are the ones I compared to the Krista's, more light, less price, I got mine from Blackdogcycleworks, they were at the Overland Expo last year.
post #17 of 37 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Garage

Quote:
If you are interested in doing a product review in exchange for a discounted price let me know. I'm sure we can work something out =)

Steve
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Rigid-Indu.../duallyled.htm

$100+ for two? dam good deal...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #18 of 37 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
These are not the Rigid Industries D2 LED Lights I have mentioned above, these only have 4 LED bulbs where the D2 have 6 LED bulbs, see here, http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...ts-detail.html .
post #19 of 37 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 4:36 pm

The ones in Hoss' link above (4 LED) produce 1300 lumen each, while Bob's link (6 LED) produces 2600 lumen each.

Quite a price difference. The average 55 W halogen produces 600-700 lumen, so either way you can't go wrong.

For the price, I might try the 4 LED model, and try to mount below the mirrors.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #20 of 37 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Quote:
According to the link, they are priced individually, not per pair.

post #21 of 37 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Quote:

Steve
Having just paid to have a set of Clearwater Kristas installed (and very satisfied with them, BTW), if there was a way to get someone to swap out the Kristas for the Rigid lights, and then swap back to the Kristas for such a test, I'd do that. I'm guessing most guys could do this themselves but that's not within my capabilities.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #22 of 37 Old Aug 11th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocat
According to the link, they are priced individually, not per pair.
You should know... I can't read..

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #23 of 37 Old Aug 13th, 2012, 11:18 am

Hey,
They are priced individually. If you're up for trying them out and doing a review on the board let me know and I will do my best to help you out. I'm sure many forum members would find a DIY thread with some non biased feedback very helpful!

Steve

Use our

1-877-522-2701 |

post #24 of 37 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 7:03 am

As I'm considering the Rigid lights to mount under the mirrors on my 2010 RT, I'm interested to see how this thread works out. I'd really like to see some pics of these lights output or beam throw from the seat of the bike. Having a picture of aux lights facing the bike does very little to show the effectiveness of the lights.

10 R1200RT ostra grey (current)
09 Suzuki Vstrom650A (sold)
02 K1200LTC (sold)
92 R100R (sold, wish I still had it)
75 Yamaha DT250
70"s Kawasaki 100
post #25 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 10:45 am

Which Rigid product are you looking at? I have been speaking with a customer that is interested in going with the Rigid Dually D2 Lights and was comparing those to the clearwater Krista lights.

Let me know if you are interested in the Rigid product and are up for doing a review on the board in exchange for a discounted price.

Steve

Use our

1-877-522-2701 |

post #26 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Garage

Quote:
Let me know if you are interested in the Rigid product and are up for doing a review on the board in exchange for a discounted price.
I attempted to take advantage of you offer, but received no response and went with the WARN HID WXT200

Small compact, internal ballast, easy connection. There is no way in hell an LED will match up to an HID.. AND they are cheaper....

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #27 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Quote:
I attempted to take advantage of you offer, but received no response and went with the WARN HID WXT200

Small compact, internal ballast, easy connection. There is no way in hell an LED will match up to an HID.. AND they are cheaper....

In most jurisdictions it is illegal to have more then 4 lamps illuminated simultaneously on the road (It's an LT, not much off-roading there!!) I know this is definetly true in the Fruit and Nut State.................................CA

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #28 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 3:57 pm

shoswell: I'm sorry that it did not work out. Did you attempt to contact me via PM or email? I really have no idea where the ball was dropped so i'm trying to figure out why you received no response.

HID technology is definitely cheaper than LED technology given that it's a much older technology. You certainly get a lot of light with HID but the nice thing about LEDs is that they run cooler, draw less power than stock, and last significantly longer.

Steve

Use our

1-877-522-2701 |

post #29 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 8:29 pm

"I attempted to take advantage of you offer, but received no response and went with the WARN HID WXT200

Small compact, internal ballast, easy connection. There is no way in hell an LED will match up to an HID.. AND they are cheaper...."

Hi Hoss, would like to compare your Warn HID to the Riged LED D2 Dually I am using on my GSA, come on out to the next Hddc, we can compare...grin. My D2's outshine my HID low and high headlights!
post #30 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 12:20 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
In most jurisdictions it is illegal to have more then 4 lamps illuminated simultaneously on the road (It's an LT, not much off-roading there!!) I know this is definetly true in the Fruit and Nut State.................................CA

Four forward facing clear lights... That is a law in our fair state... however, any ass that would write you for it... well... Donuts anyone?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #31 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 12:21 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Hi Hoss, would like to compare your Warn HID to the Riged LED D2 Dually I am using on my GSA, come on out to the next Hddc, we can compare...grin. My D2's outshine my HID low and high headlights!
Deal.. only if its not in Lodi... Dem's some odd ones down there...

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #32 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 11:04 am

Quote:
Four forward facing clear lights... That is a law in our fair state... however, any ass that would write you for it... well... Donuts anyone?
I got pulled over in my Suburban here in my home town at 5:30 AM for have 2 sets of fog lights on along with my low beams!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT

Last edited by Atomicman; Oct 16th, 2012 at 11:40 am.
post #33 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 12:03 pm

That Warn light is the same as the PIAA/TailTech and will have the same design and manufacturing flaws- you should have done your homework. If it came with the silicon cover, be sure not to take it off in the wet unless you want early failure. The bulbs are $75 each.
Despite assertions, its output is poor for a 30W HID as you will easily understand if you ever compare it to an HID running a std 35W D1 or D2 HID capsule.
Size does matter and its small size compromises output a lot though its poor bulb design is the real limitation.

I replaced a set of TrailTechs after almost 3 years of futzing with them. The replacements, Solstice SP120 which are the same as Denali D2 are a big improvement in output and reliability. Any time a 900 lumen LED produces superior results to a 30W HID is all the proof one needs of how bad that HID is. A 30W HID should produce about 2500 lumens and smoke a 900 lumen LED but doesn't in this case..

Missing from this thread so far is anything on the most important spec for any lamp- its beam width measured in degrees. For ultimate range you don't want to exceed 15 degrees. Lamps with 20 or so fill in nicely up to the range of an HID headlight if they have enough output and you'll want even more width if you rally want to illuminate close shoulders and corners- but then the beam will be too wide to leave on in oncoming traffic, True fogs can be always on, have a flat top cutoff on a wide beam and are getting hard to find. No conical beam makes a good fog light- too much back scatter..
post #34 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 12:08 pm

The pics Hoss showed are actually of my bike,

NOTES:
* Lights are switched in pairs. I typically don't run too many at once.
* I can attest to their brightness.
* They are a 12 degree lighting pattern.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #35 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 2:23 pm

Garage

Great feedback. From what I've seen the Warn/Trailtech have "grown" after some refinements. (i.e- Homework complete). You've hit the nail on the head with regards to the cost of a replacement bulb. Which is on par with most other HID bulbs for similar applications.

The "assertion" is published. Did you mean assumption? You are comparing a full D1/2 bulb to a miniature application? Apples to Apples you are spot on, however... the Warn/TT are not the same design, and I (we) would be foolish to expect the same results.

Solstice SP120 = 20 Narrow Beam
WXT200-HID SPOT BEAMS = a focused 12 degree pattern.
Solstice SP120 = Lumens: 860
WXT200-HID SPOT BEAMS = Lumens: 1,850
Solstice SP120 = $278
WXT200-HID SPOT BEAMS = $349

Solstice SP120 =

WXT200-HID SPOT BEAMS =

Quote:
No conical beam makes a good fog light- too much back scatter..
Ultimately, I believe this is where your error was. We are not speaking about a "FOG" light. Rather the long distance throw from a True Driving light....

More to follow once We get to the HDDC tomorrow...

Glad you like the SP120's though....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sp120_beam_pattern.gif
Views:	1683
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	36858   Click image for larger version

Name:	XT200HID-Lights.gif
Views:	1709
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	36859  

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; Oct 16th, 2012 at 2:34 pm.
post #36 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Deal.. only if its not in Lodi... Dem's some odd ones down there...
Got any suggestions where, since you are setting conditions....grin?
post #37 of 37 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 2:38 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Got any suggestions where, since you are setting conditions....grin?
You now know that was a poke at Hal...

That important piece of information set aside, Bob, Just Bob and I met up at a non-discript location, both flaunting their good looks and rugged appearances... With a bevy of scallywags looking on, the bikes were lined up and the "test" was on...

Bob was at a disadvantage, he was on a GS.

The challenge: Which is better?

Cost: $$$ (both are in the same price range
One = HID
The other = LED

All things considered, I would prefer the "Bob" brand. Those seemed to give the best of both worlds. That being a spot and a flood. No pictures could be taken as both bikes from 100 ft out looked like one light. The LED is of coarse white, while the HID was a little "brown" The HID was more defined (Spot) vs the LED which gave a wide pattern. The HID (I think) threw more light down range, but the LED "filled" the long/short way better than the HID...

Conclusion: Bob sucks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0000-Warn-WXT200-HID-Replacement-Arch-Lamp---.jpg
Views:	2033
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	36874  

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in