change high beam lights bulb H3 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:33 am Thread Starter
jac

change high beam lights bulb H3

last night try to change the H3 bulb for 99 LT, supposed to an easy job, but stacked by difficulty to pull out the retaining holder. after release the copper clip, when pull out the retaining holder (step 6 on service manual), it even doesn't move a little. hardly pull, it's move out a little, but it's just stacked there.

any folks here were having the same problem when change H3 bulb? any tips to pull it out?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:57 am

I

remember it was a little tight at first. Release the clip and wiggle it out, up, down, side to side if I recall right.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:01 am

Hhmmn... Should come with a little "convincing". FWIW, I think the guy that invented the H3 lamp should be tarred and feathered! I HATE H3 lamps! And both of my bikes have them . . . 5 in total. O joy...

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:37 am Thread Starter
jac

Quote:
Originally Posted by parishollow
remember it was a little tight at first. Release the clip and wiggle it out, up, down, side to side if I recall right.
thanks i will have another shot tonight
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:12 pm Thread Starter
jac

after 2 days around 6 hrs struggling with the problem, finally get it off from bulb holder.
replacing the OEM H3 with a PIAA super plasma GTX 55W=110W at 5000K, plus changed OEM low beam to PIAA Xtream White Plus, 55W=110W at 4000K. so original 2X55w raised to 2X110W. as a results, it looks much brighter and whiter.
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 1:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac
after 2 days around 6 hrs struggling with the problem, finally get it off from bulb holder.
replacing the OEM H3 with a PIAA super plasma GTX 55W=110W at 5000K, plus changed OEM low beam to PIAA Xtream White Plus, 55W=110W at 4000K. so original 2X55w raised to 2X110W. as a results, it looks much brighter and whiter.
Uhmmm, didn't I read somewhere that changing bulbs out for brighter may damage the pot, or warp the reflective backing by too much heat?

Don
2001 K1200LT "Blue Bomber"
Vancouver Island, BC
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 8:01 am

The stock bulb is 55W and so are the replacements they are referring to here. The sales pitch by the halogen bulb makers is that their 55W bulb puts out more visible light by changing the radiated color temperature. That is where the 55W=110W is coming from. For most this just means adding a blue tint to the bulb glass. Others will also add other gasses to the bulb, besides halogen, to raise the color temperature as well. The actual results from various bulb manufacturers are rather anecdotal with reports from no difference to marked improvement, as is the case here. None will hold a candle to a true HID but if it works for people who don't want to go that route then more power to them , pardon the pun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #8 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Uhmmm, didn't I read somewhere that changing bulbs out for brighter may damage the pot, or warp the reflective backing by too much heat?
Yes...I have read that too.

Also, park that bike next to someone's LT with a real HID kit installed and the difference will be staggering! Not worth the risk.
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:13 am Thread Starter
jac

accreting to PIAA, their bulb power input is still 55W, but the lights brightness (power output) will be equal to 110W. i think the heat that generate from bulb should be depending on the power input which 55W.

if talking about compare to HID, it's not fairly enough to compare $90 halogen upgrade to $450 HID upgrade, am I right?
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:29 am

I would be interested in knowing if you have had a lengthy ride yet, with no damage of course.

i too agree it may be an unfair comparison to HID's , but as you well know you get what you pay for. But the quick answer is are you happy with the added light output, and have you notced any marked difference.

Don
Vancouver Island, BC
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac
if talking about compare to HID, it's not fairly enough to compare $90 halogen upgrade to $450 HID upgrade, am I right?
My low-beam HID upgrade cost me $128. For both beams, it would've been about $200 (NOT $450). I know we're still talking DOUBLE the money here . . . but we're also talking at least DOUBLE the light, if not more. And the HID lamps last WAY longer than any Halogen. FWIW, my Sylvania SilverStar (halogen) didn't last me an entire riding season. And though it's light was "whiter", it wasn't any brighter when compared to another LT's OEM lamp. Just more marketing crap that we keep falling for over and over.

But now . . . it just don't matter to me anymore. An HID and 6 halogens seem to be doing the job just fine.

post #12 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:55 am

WoW

Joe that is a lot of light...no issues with seeing where you are going

of interest which lights (Type)are peeling through the two air holes (?) under the Headlight. What did you mount the to there, the sides ?

Don
Vancouver Island, BC
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo
of interest which lights (Type)are peeling through the two air holes (?) under the Headlight. What did you mount the to there, the sides ?
$20 cheapos bought at the "Chinese Trinket Store". I fashioned my own mount. Then I bought "Xenon" H3s on eBay to give them that purty (and expensive "looking") blue tint. I like them because I have them aimed very close to the bike...about 10 feet in front, 10 feet apart. This allows me to aim my MotoLights out a little further and they fill in the gap nicely.

BTW, all lights are separately switched and relayed, even the low-beam HID.
post #14 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2006, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
An HID and 6 halogens seem to be doing the job just fine.

I can just see some unsuspecting cager when you round the curve in the hill country. They run over you while frantically trying to dail 911 on their cell phone, convinced that they have just seen their own version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. ;-))

Seriously though, I see two sets of Moto Lites but I can't decide what the two lights in the cowl are.What brand are they and what series.

I put a SilverStar in my bike last night and it really isn't any better than the OEM bulb. A bit whiter, but not much. The HID low beams are great though.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Have been running Xenon bulbs in my other BMW bikes for years and will do so in the LT when I get around to it. Haven't had it long.

Have had no problem whatsoever with heat. Did try to use higher wattage (110 watts) halogen bulbs once....melted the bulb housing! These are not the same. Now I have also heard that some cheap mfgs. are painting the bulbs blue and passing them off as xenon, so be ware of the cheapest thing out there. PIIA, Sylvania or other known mfg should be fine. I have the PIIAs. Not cheap but they work.

If you want to spend the bucks for the HIDs thats great. But if you want to see a lot better for just a little more money I'd give them a try before I spent the big bucks. Then that's just me.

I'm not a scientist but the Xenon gas supposedly puts out more light than it actually takes to power the light. I also have them in my truck with great imrovement over stock.

Now I will not argue that they are equal to HID......the're not. But properly aimed, they are a great improvement over stock and I can see just fine with them.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Now if I could just learn to spell PIAA. Or maybe read my posts before I actually do post them..............

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrubbercow
Have been running Xenon bulbs in my other BMW bikes for years and will do so in the LT when I get around to it. Haven't had it long.
Again, the bulb manufacturers have developed yet another hype. Xenon lighting started out as HID, as that is the gas used in the HID arc capsules, along with additives to change the color temp rating. When HID started getting popular, bulb manufacturers started adding a little Xenon to the Halogen gas mixture in them and plastering XENON on their packaging, fooling many. It is still just a halogen bulb, with a little Xenon added. The added Xenon gas can make the bulb a little whiter, and assists in keeping the evaporated tungsten off the inside of the glass bulb, but other than that really accomplishes little.

Real Xenon lighting is HID.

One used to be able to go to eBay and search for "Xenon light" and get the HID sellers. Now if you search you get page after page of bogus Halogen bulbs stating that they are "Xenon Bulbs". Far from the truth, as they only have trace amounts of Xenon gas in the halogen mixture.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 7:25 am

H3 replacement

Seems quite an extensive thread with a lot of confusion so just to set things straight.

There are two primary ways to increase the performance of a halogen lamp. One is to increase the wattage with all the known associated heat and wiring issues. This in technical terms increases the LUMEN output or the total amount of light given off from the glass envelope (bulb). The other is to increase the luminance and this increases the CDm2 of the filament. This is what the lamp manufacturers refer to when quoting 55w=100w. In reality with this technology the wattage does not change. The beam you ride behind is made up of millions of images of your halogen filament and this is the skill of the optical design. If you make this filament brighter (increase its luminance) you have more light in your beam on the road and as such better spread and range. This technology is done very well by the likes of Philips and Osram and totally abused by the Asian manufacturers who use marketing rather than technology to sell.
Xenon was the term utilised by the car manufacturer for the new discharge technology in 1990. It came about because the first lamps in the mid 80's were referred to as MPXL or Micro Power Xenon Lamps. The reality is that the car discharge technology is a metal halide discharge lamp and not a Xenon lamp at all. These in other industries are also sometimes referred to as Mercury Discharge lamps and the Xenon discharge technology used in the likes of Cinema projectors is very different. However the Xenon reference has stuck. Xenon in halogen lamps is used in very small quantities and due to the larger atomic size is used to extend the life of the product and neither effects the lumens, luminance , colour or performance in any other way .
The colour temperature of a lamp is stated in degree Kelvin and is purely a colour reference and once again has nothing to do with performance of the product either halogen or discharge. It is simply a colour point reference on the CIE chromaticity chart messaged on the black body curve.
I hope this clarifies the points raised and helps understand a little better?
The lack of accurate information causes this confusion and as such allows such 'questionable' marketing initiatives to work. Who buys Chinese break pads , suspect very few. Who buys chinese lamps most people and its because the facts by and large remain unknown.
Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in