Happy with HID, just installed Motolights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Happy with HID, just installed Motolights

I upgraded my 2005 LT with a HID kit from HID online shortly after I bought my bike last summer. Dramatic improvement!

I bought and installed my caliper mounted Motolights at the Motolight tent at Daytona Beach last week.

The triangulation is part of the reason for getting the motolights. Many have commented on how well I can be seen now.

I stand on adding the HID and the Motolights and be done with it. The combination is the best I've had on any motorcyle.

I have my HID aimed so that the cutoff is about bumper height on the car I'm following at 2 seconds. The motolights are aimed dead level.

With the HID so bright, It's hard to see what the Motolights were adding. What I noticed out on the highway, the motolights help out above the HID cutoff line without annoying oncoming drivers. The Motolights light up stuff much farther down the road and immediately in front of the LT and the HID wash overpowers what's going on in the middle. I also like how the Motolight beams handle the low side dark dead space thrown from the HID as it rotates with the bike in hard corners. I chose the caliper mount to give some directional lighting at night. The motolights with their pencil beam configuration is meant to light up things far down the road, not wash the road in front with a great deal of light.

I would like to know if anyone has fitted a brighter bulb in the Motolights or if anyone else has other aiming suggestions?

The stock high beam seems to be useless now, HID on the high beam may be next on the list.

Dave Allen
05 K1200LT, Graphite, XMXT, Xenon, Motolights, Top Trunk Rack

Last edited by Crestwood330; Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:34 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood330
I upgraded my 2005 LT with a HID kit from HID online shortly after I bought my bike last summer. Dramatic improvement!

I would like to know if anyone has fitted a brighter bulb in the Motolights or if anyone else has other aiming suggestions?
I installed the HIDonline kit recently, too. I already had motolights with 35w bulbs, and upgraded to 55w'ers. I slaved them to the high beam, too. They are pointed straight down the road. I like how they add to the standard high beam, because as you said, it's anemic compared to the HID low beam.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

After your advice, I looked on the Motolight site and found that I could upgrade the MR16 bulb to a 50W 8 degree version. They state you can run upto 75W on each side but it may annoy oncoming drivers. They do not offer the 75W, but it can be purchased elsewhere.

I ordered the 50W replacement bulbs from Motolights and will see how they work out.

Dave Allen
05 K1200LT, Graphite

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 2:45 pm

What type of HID's did you get?
the 4100K or 6000K?
Big difference between the two?
With the K1100LT I have one bulb for both high and low, but I'm not sure If I can get an HID kit that will do a single bulb high/low, suggestions?
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 3:36 pm

You can buy the exact same replacement bulbs Moto Lites uses on line for about a third (or better) of the price from Moto Lites and they are the narrow beam ones.. In fact, you can buy replacements for less than the free replacements Moto Lights sends out with their added shipping fee. I tried the 71W narrow beam but the spread was too much for oncoming traffic AND there was a definite draw on the alternator with them on.

At night - on the HW - I find the Moto Lights to be a distraction. I can see down the road much better with them off. JMHO

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 5:41 am

For replacing stock light with HID stay between 4100k and 5000k, anything else is too blue.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in