HID Low beam H3 or H7 and .... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 5:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

HID Low beam H3 or H7 and ....

So on 2002 K1200 LT I'm looking at XenonDepot here ... http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Motorcycle...-Kits-s/34.htm

Question 1 -- is it the H3 or H7 fitment I need for the low beam?

Question 2 -- What is the difference between MC-HID and MCP-HID, I notice MC-HID is cheaper and lets me choose the Color...

Thanks for any input.

-Preston

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 7:35 pm

Re: HID Low beam H3 or H7 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by palarimer
Question 1 -- is it the H3 or H7 fitment I need for the low beam?

Question 2 -- What is the difference between MC-HID and MCP-HID, I notice MC-HID is cheaper and lets me choose the Color...

-Preston
Question 1 - H7 is the low beam

Question 2 - The difference that I can see is that MCP-HID is a German manufactured Phillips HID lamp and the other is most likely manufactured in China. Could be of inferior quality. Seems that with some searching around any kits available that specifically say they have a Phillips bulb they are a little more money. I also see that phillips makes a 6000k and a 4200k H7 HID bulb.

I would only buy a 4200k bulb. I have a high beam that is 5000k and it has a blue cast. All my other lamps are 4200k or 4100k. Send the vendor a note and ask them what color the Philips lamp is..

One additional note...

When I installed my original low beam it was a Phillips lamps and the kit cost me $300 and I followed the instructions and it went flawlessly. The directions had me put the whole thing together and then light the lamp. I bought a chinese high beam and the directions said to light the lamp then install it in the housing... I thought that was odd but I did what it said and the bulb burned and smoked for a few seconds and then worked. Had I put the lamp in and lit it I would have smoked the headlight and ruined my headlight assembly.

Looked to me that the chinese bulb was never tested, just manufactured. My original Philips bulb must have been fired. The construction was also different inside the glass.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 7:51 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9006-9003-90...item3a6fb64ec1

I bought a pair of inexpensive HIDs, installed both slim ballasts and used just one of them. I figured if something happened to one balast, I had a spare with me. I carried the extra bulb also.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Bob was this plug and play or did you have pull any tricks out to get it going? Also did you do high and low or just low?
Thanks
Preston

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 8:24 pm

So far just low. The high beam is in a BMW holder that is not designed to be taken apart.

Some where on this site is a detailed description of what has to be done to install HIDs.

Since you will have two HIDs and only use one of them, you can just order the high beam bulb if you want to install one.

We can adjust the low beam right at the dash board, not so with the high beam.

For me, while the HID throws a lot of light forward, in a tight pattern, I seemed to have a problem recognizing what was in it's light field. I think my bulb is 4.8K? SO, I had to augment the beam with a yellowish lite to fill things in, especially right in front of me.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
We can adjust the low beam right at the dash board, not so with the high beam.

Best from Tucson
Bob
I believe that the adjuster on the dash moves the entire headlamp housing, which holds both lamps, at least on the pre-2005 models. I believe this because my low beam recently failed, and I have to leave the high beam lamp lit. I adjusted it down slightly to blind oncoming traffic less.
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Many thanks for the post.

I've only adjusted it with the low bwam on.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in