Hid high beam or Hid driving lights, K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Hid high beam or Hid driving lights, K1200LT

Changing my low beam on my 00 made a hughe improvement. But iin order to see clearly I had to run a pair of PIAA halogens with the low beam,

After installing the HID low beam, my highbeam doesn't seem to increase the distance I can see.

I've comsidering converting the high beam to HID and adding another pair of driving halogen driving lights, or buying halogen driving lights and replacing the bulbs with HIDS like I did on my low beams. Or, adding a rectangular driving light under the nose cone below the head light.

I've looked at the small HID driving lights but they are out of my budget right now.

At some later time I want to install fog lights. On my way back home from Maine I discovered that the Hid low beam didn't illuminate much of the road during heavy rain. I've never seen fog out here, so my only use for the fog lights will be in heavy rain.

I'm guessing that a good place for fog lights would be inder the tip over wings?

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Re: Hid highe beam or Hid driving lights, K1200LT

I converted my high beam to HID a few years ago. Unfortunately unless you are away from a urban environment it becomes unusable because it is too strong. Before I retired I used the LT as my summer transportation and needed additional lighting because, like you, I felt even the HID low beam left me wanting, especially on the left side of the road. I rode quite a bit after dark and quite a few times for hours after midnight to dawn.

My solution was to install Hella halogen fog lights under the mirrors using BMR brackets. They lit up the first 100 feet about 3 feet off the ground from side to side of a three lane road. They were not bothersome to oncoming traffic so I converted them to HID. Amazingly they were still not bothersome to oncoming traffic and I can leave them on even in heavy urban traffic. Don't rule out a fog light application.

Eventually as the HID prices came down I saw value in doing the high beam also. Bottom line here is I have three HIDs running in any traffic and lighting situation and that puts lots of lumens on the road. Adding the fourth, the high beam, puts more light WAY down the road. It is awesome with all four burning.

Downside is I can no longer flash my high beam...

On my way back east from CCR last year I rode across South Dakota on US 212 (two lane) that had no turns for 60 miles. I had all the light I needed.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2012, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Hi Jack

Thank you for your time, observations and experience.

For some reason I enjoy riding long distances on interstaes at night, especially if I can sleep late where I am headed.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 29th, 2012, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I converted my high beam to HID a few years ago. Unfortunately unless you are away from a urban environment it becomes unusable because it is too strong. Before I retired I used the LT as my summer transportation and needed additional lighting because, like you, I felt even the HID low beam left me wanting, especially on the left side of the road. I rode quite a bit after dark and quite a few times for hours after midnight to dawn.

My solution was to install Hella halogen fog lights under the mirrors using BMR brackets. They lit up the first 100 feet about 3 feet off the ground from side to side of a three lane road. They were not bothersome to oncoming traffic so I converted them to HID. Amazingly they were still not bothersome to oncoming traffic and I can leave them on even in heavy urban traffic. Don't rule out a fog light application.

Eventually as the HID prices came down I saw value in doing the high beam also. Bottom line here is I have three HIDs running in any traffic and lighting situation and that puts lots of lumens on the road. Adding the fourth, the high beam, puts more light WAY down the road. It is awesome with all four burning.

Downside is I can no longer flash my high beam...

On my way back east from CCR last year I rode across South Dakota on US 212 (two lane) that had no turns for 60 miles. I had all the light I needed.

Great Idea. Can you show us a pic? I use the High beams ALOT since I live near the everglades. Cant flash Them but if I'm coming up on someone at 5am it sure wakes them up to move over,sometimes.lol. Florida does not have drivers, they just move from point A to B. I would be interested in the hella lights. Where can I see these BMR brackets?

Thanks

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 30th, 2012, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Great Idea. Can you show us a pic? I use the High beams ALOT since I live near the everglades. Cant flash Them but if I'm coming up on someone at 5am it sure wakes them up to move over,sometimes.lol. Florida does not have drivers, they just move from point A to B. I would be interested in the hella lights. Where can I see these BMR brackets?

Thanks
I made an extensive triggering circuit to run the fog lights with our without the high beams all controlled by the high beam switch which I found to be overkill. As long as the fogs pattern is set right they can be left on even in heavy traffic.

If I did the HID conversion I would look to see if I could use another HID bulb instead of the one for one replacement..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hella Fog2.jpg
Views:	3174
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	34373  

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Jan 30th, 2012 at 6:12 pm. Reason: Changed picture
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 30th, 2012, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Hid high beam or Hid driving lights, K1200LT

Jack do you recall what model of Hella lights you have under the mirrors?

Thanks

-Preston

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 30th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by palarimer
Jack do you recall what model of Hella lights you have under the mirrors?

Thanks

-Preston
They are Micro DE and appeared to me to be the same as their HID version. However the HID version is very pricey (400% higher) about $650 and is pretty much the same as the HID conversion on the LT's high beam.

These here seem to be the ones I bought and pretty much about the same price here at TireRack. Probably might find them lower if you search.

I used BMR brackets and they were good and steady. There is a single screw that mounts the Hella tube bracket to the BMR bracket and two screws that mounts the aluminum Hella tube to the Hella bracket. That allows me to adjust the position of the lamps up down and sideways while I am riding.

You can actually see in the picture that I have both light aimed to the left of the bike because the LT's low beam does a real good job of lighting the right side of the road.

I think it looks pretty uniform with light when I have the fogs burning. I converted the Motolights to LRD and they are pretty much all at about 4100K so the color is true up and down. My HID high beam is 5000k and I can see exactly where it is down the road because of the color change.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 30th, 2012, 8:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jack, thanks for the details!

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 30th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Just a word of caution if you are going to convert to HID it is pretty much a task. Here is the instructions from Hella and notice page 4 and you can see the H3 bulb has a cap that holds it on. A H3 HID has a wire out the top and it is incompatible with the supplied cap. I had to fashion my own cap. Also the rubber grommet that holds the wire access has to feed the HID cable through and still make it back under the tupperware. As you can see from my picture posted previously it does work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hella Instructions page 4.jpg
Views:	2004
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	34374  

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in