Lost running lights, brake lights, blinkers and horn...HELP! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Lost running lights, brake lights, blinkers and horn...HELP!

My wife and I were on a 4,000 mile ride this summer with our 03 K1200LT pulling a small trailer. I had installed a relay for the trailer lights and about half-way thru our trip we lost our trailer lights. I pulled the trailer light relay and it was fried so I reluctantly connected the trailer lights directly to the bike so we could get home...a short while later we lost the bike running lights, blinkers, horn and brake lights. I checked all fuses and they are fine. I called our local BMW dealership and they said to check the fuses and the relays. I can't find any help online for the location of the relays...what am I looking for? Is this the most likely issue? If it's something simple I would like to save some $ and repair it myself.

Steve
Highlands Ranch, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Re: Lost running lights, brake lights, blinkers and horn...HELP!

Relays are under the tank, same area as the air filter.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 20th, 2011, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

So do I have to take one of the sides off to access the relays? If so, which side? How will I know which relay goes to what or do I just test them all? Thanks for your help.

Steve

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:50 am

You have to take both sides off, the seat, the radio, then the tank.
Once you are down to that point you can check your air filter, then check your relays that are on the right side of the bike in a black waterproof housing.
If you have never taken the bike down this far, it can be quite a job. Ask for help and we can walk you through it. I know some people have made templates on where screws go as there are many. Maybe see if there is a member close to you who would be willing to come over and help. Either way help is out there just ask if you need it.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in