Relaying it might be the relay? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Relaying it might be the relay?

Iíve spent a lot of time installing my PIAA fog lights. Before installing them, I cheeked each component on a 12 volt DC power supply, which probably is 13.6 volts. Everything worked.

I installed the harness, light switch, relay and fog lights. When pushed the ďonĒ button, nothing happened. I had cut up the wiring harness so that there was a minimum of slack in the wiring. I soldered each connection and used shrink fit to water proof the solder joints.

So, I took it all apart, everything was wired correctly?

Since everything was apart again, I checked the switch and relayóboth working!

I replaced a couple runs of wire to and from the switch, checked for contuinity. Reinstalled everything, and it didnít work again!

Everything apart again. But during the next install none of the connections were soldered. Since nothing made sense to me, I tried another source for 12 Volts using the connector they provided on wire for an extra lighter socket-- Still zip.

Since I had the nose cone off, I shoved the bare wire for the 12 volts to the switch into the empty head light connection for the low beam. Perfect!! It worked.

So I carefully stripped a small length of insulation from the 12 volt wire to the low beam, soldered the connection and then hot glued the joint. I hit the switch and nothing??!!!!

I unsoldered the joint, and attached the wire to the plus wire on front turn signalóit worked.

I was feed up with trying to get the unit to work. So I soldered the 12 Volt wire to the switch from the turn signal.

The fog lights now work, except one light blinks when I use the right turn signal.

Yesterday while riding in the rain, I started day dreaming about how a simple DC circuit could kick my ass???

Now Iím guessing the only component in the system that could drive me crazy was the relay??

I called PIAA customer supportóno help at all. They could not transfer me to someone who could help finding the problemóno way for them or me to contact anyone in PIAA with working knowledge of this fog light system.

Is there anything special about this relay? Iím assuming it normally open and then latches closed until it is switched off?

Oh, BTW, the voltage to the turn signal is always hot, even with the key in the OFF position.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:36 am

Re: Relaying it might be the relay?

Interesting. You seem to have isolated and tested everything else, to an extent I have to just sit back and admire. I think you are right.

I am kind of suspicious of the BMW relay for the Xenon headlight in the 2006 and up K12000 LT being the source of my problems, not that I have isolated it yet. Monkeying with the connectors does seem to restore the light, and so does vibration most of the time.

It does want to make you crazy.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

It is such a simple DC circuit!!!

It seems that since the wire to the front turn signals is hot all of the time that the relay must be closing the "ground" part of the circuit to turn on the bulb and then open the ground leg to shut it off?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I think you have ground issues... Check your grounds..Make sure your relay is grounded as well as each of the lights...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2011, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion John.

post #6 of 6 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 10:51 pm

What bike?
Trigger wire is connected to what?
12V power for lamps comes from where- battery terminal?
What is the part number and maker for the relay (is it a Mitsubishi or other and what type)
Grounds from lamps are connected where?

If you haven't figured out that PIAA is simply a marketing outfit that sells moderate quality Asian stuff at high markups you know now. Not surprising there are no real people in "customer service".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in