DDM ballast compatablity question.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 10:23 am Thread Starter

DDM ballast compatablity question..

Does a 35 watt 4500k H3 bulb use the same ballast as a 35 watt 4500k H7 bulb?

Last year I bought 2 H7 kits. I only used one on my low beam.
after seeing how dull my stock high beam is.... I now want to put HID on the high beam as well..

Can I use the other ballast from the H7 kit and just buy a H3 bulb from DDM and plug it in?
I want to stay with the same wattage bulb... both hi/low.

I sent DDM the same question.... but maybe someone here would know ...
thanks

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 12:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: DDM ballast compatablity question..

They are all pretty much universal and not bulb base dependant.

In fact I discovered the the difference between a 35 and 55 watt unit is just the ballast - not the bulb!! Totally different from the old incandescent bulbs.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 7th, 2011, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Z

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Are you aware that the HID bulb won't be full brightness for some time after it is powered on, and really hates being flashed? Depending on your high beam needs, this may make it worthless. Around here I typically use the high beam for only a few seconds at a time before I have to turn it off for an approaching car. The light would never be up to full brightness. Every firing cycle takes a lot of life out of it, as that's when most of the wear is done. Turning HID on/off frequently will kill them.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
Are you aware that the HID bulb won't be full brightness for some time after it is powered on, .
Define "some time" ....

while I'm waiting for your answer, I will go ahead and disagree with you.

When I turn on my key, the HID low beam turns on almost instantly. I don't have any problem with it.
And seeing that the LT low beam stays on while the hi beam is on, I'm sure the hid hi beam will work just fine for me. (even if it does take "some time" .... which it really doesn't)

As far as the life of hid ballasts or other components... it is what it is.
Hi beams are meant to be turned on and off... for $40.00 I'm not concerned.

And flashing? I don't do that.

Now, HOW exactly does your post pertain to my question about ballast/bulb compatibility?

post #6 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT
Define "some time" ....

while I'm waiting for your answer, I will go ahead and disagree with you.

When I turn on my key, the HID low beam turns on almost instantly. I don't have any problem with it.
And seeing that the LT low beam stays on while the hi beam is on, I'm sure the hid hi beam will work just fine for me. (even if it does take "some time" .... which it really doesn't)

As far as the life of hid ballasts or other components... it is what it is.
Hi beams are meant to be turned on and off... for $40.00 I'm not concerned.

And flashing? I don't do that.

Now, HOW exactly does your post pertain to my question about ballast/bulb compatibility?
I still don't understand why you would want the same HID bulb in the high beam as the low beam? There would be no more brightness then there is with just the low beam.

Also, as you probably oalready found out, it does take about 30-60 seconds for it to come up to full brightness. If it were me, I'd leave the stock halogen in the high beam for back up just in case the low beam HID ever malfunctioned or burned out. YMMV.

Kimo

'05 K1200LT Ocean Blue IBA # 49426

'00 740iL

'02 530iA

post #7 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Does a 35 watt 4500k H3 bulb use the same ballast as a 35 watt 4500k H7 bulb?

Last year I bought 2 H7 kits. I only used one on my low beam.
after seeing how dull my stock high beam is.... I now want to put HID on the high beam as well..

Can I use the other ballast from the H7 kit and just buy a H3 bulb from DDM and plug it in?
I want to stay with the same wattage bulb... both hi/low.

I sent DDM the same question.... but maybe someone here would know ...
thanks
The ddm set that I bought a few weeks ago had identical ballasts, only the bulbs were different .

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #8 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk
I still don't understand why you would want the same HID bulb in the high beam as the low beam? There would be no more brightness then there is with just the low beam.

Also, as you probably oalready found out, it does take about 30-60 seconds for it to come up to full brightness. If it were me, I'd leave the stock halogen in the high beam for back up just in case the low beam HID ever malfunctioned or burned out. YMMV.

Yet another post that has nothing to do with the original question.
Not sure what the point of your reply actually is... To give your opinion of what YOU would do? Or to pass on some false information to me which you believe to be true?

Let me start by saying this is an OLD post.
I have found what John Z said is totally correct. thanks again John.

I have since installed the same exact wattage bulb in my high beam (as my low beam)
And it IS brighter.
This is mainly due to the positioning (and the shape) of the high beam projector/ deflector... whatever you wanna call it. not the actual wattage of the bulb.

I'm not sure what type of HID kit YOU are using, but my DDM kit does NOT take 30-60 seconds to get to full bright. it is not instant, but it is NOT 30-60.
Maybe 10 seconds, tops.
And that delay doesn't bother me in the least. It is barely noticeable. The second you flip the hi beam switch it is instantly brighter than the low beam.

Like I said in my earlier post, The low beam ALWAYS STAYS ON. So there is no real delay where you would have no lights.

The reason I went with HID lights is NOT to run a super bright bulb and blind oncoming traffic....
I run them for the brighter white color and cleaner.... albeit, slightly brighter light projection. And 35 watt 4500k on both hi/low works very well for my liking.

If I was a 16 year old punk with a Honda accord with tinted windows and a coffee can muffler, Then I would buy the 30,000K 55watt bulbs....

Rock on,
-john T.

post #9 of 11 Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
The ddm set that I bought a few weeks ago had identical ballasts, only the bulbs were different .

post #10 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 8:52 am

Quote:
Yet another post that has nothing to do with the original question.
Not sure what the point of your reply actually is... To give your opinion of what YOU would do? Or to pass on some false information to me which you believe to be true?

Let me start by saying this is an OLD post.
I have found what John Z said is totally correct. thanks again John.

I have since installed the same exact wattage bulb in my high beam (as my low beam)
And it IS brighter.
This is mainly due to the positioning (and the shape) of the high beam projector/ deflector... whatever you wanna call it. not the actual wattage of the bulb.

I'm not sure what type of HID kit YOU are using, but my DDM kit does NOT take 30-60 seconds to get to full bright. it is not instant, but it is NOT 30-60.
Maybe 10 seconds, tops.
And that delay doesn't bother me in the least. It is barely noticeable. The second you flip the hi beam switch it is instantly brighter than the low beam.

Like I said in my earlier post, The low beam ALWAYS STAYS ON. So there is no real delay where you would have no lights.

The reason I went with HID lights is NOT to run a super bright bulb and blind oncoming traffic....
I run them for the brighter white color and cleaner.... albeit, slightly brighter light projection. And 35 watt 4500k on both hi/low works very well for my liking.

If I was a 16 year old punk with a Honda accord with tinted windows and a coffee can muffler, Then I would buy the 30,000K 55watt bulbs....

Rock on,
-john T.

John T-

I know this is an old post but it has me asking a question. I just bought a K1200LT and am going to order the DDM HIDs- I have been using DDM HID for some time on my harley and I upgraded both high and low beams. For me I didnt care about being able to flash on coming traffic I just wanted to see! The DDM H7 and H3 55w 5000K setup lights up the road!

sorry for getting off track, here is my question- did you modify your wiring so that the low beam was always on as you indicated in your post or are they wired like that from bmw?
on my harley you had the low turn off when you switched to the high beam so you basically went dark for a few seconds when you made the switch to high beam. If you tap into the blue wire on a harley you can keep the low on when you switch to high beam and eliminate that dark moment and you will not believe how you light up the night.

as for my k1200lt i have no concern for that as my piaa driving lights will be on anyway until the high beam warms up. I love the 5000 degree bulb as it is very white and makes a great contrast.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2012, 11:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02vrodturbo
John T-

sorry for getting off track, here is my question- did you modify your wiring so that the low beam was always on as you indicated in your post or are they wired like that from bmw?
The BMW k1200Lt low beam is on all the time, except when starting. There is a load shed relay that directs most all battery power to the starter when you push the start button. HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in