2009 RT low beam bulb change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 13th, 2011, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

2009 RT low beam bulb change

Any tips and tricks?

My right low beam bulb burned out on Saturday night, so I stopped by the dealer on the way into work today and picked up a replacement. Figured I would change it out in the parking lot at work. I read the owners manual and the process seems pretty straightforward.

BUT NO GO! My hands are just too darn big for working in such a confined space. I can remove the circular cover easy enough, but can't get my hand in far enough to grip the electrical connection well enough to pull it off. I can basically get two fingers around the connection, but can't get my hand in far enough to use my thumb, and two fingers just won't get the job done.

Am I going to have to start removing body panels just to change a light bulb? Anybody have any tips or tricks they are willing to share?

And please, no jokes about "how many BMW owners does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 2:17 am

Garage
Re: 2009 RT low beam bulb change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebrown
Any tips and tricks?

My right low beam bulb burned out on Saturday night, so I stopped by the dealer on the way into work today and picked up a replacement. Figured I would change it out in the parking lot at work. I read the owners manual and the process seems pretty straightforward.

BUT NO GO! My hands are just too darn big for working in such a confined space. I can remove the circular cover easy enough, but can't get my hand in far enough to grip the electrical connection well enough to pull it off. I can basically get two fingers around the connection, but can't get my hand in far enough to use my thumb, and two fingers just won't get the job done.

Am I going to have to start removing body panels just to change a light bulb? Anybody have any tips or tricks they are willing to share?

And please, no jokes about "how many BMW owners does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Thanks!
I changed my high beam one on Sunday and that was hard enough.
Its been a long time since I had to undo a bra clasp one handed but that training came in handy.
I think there needs to be an addendum to the manual that outlines the need for bandaids when doing this job.

2017 R1200RT
2010 R1200RT Sold
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Re: 2009 RT low beam bulb change

Well, I was finally able to get the bulb replaced, but I needed to remove the right side body panel in order to get a different angle on the connector. It certainly is a PITA job. It will take a week for the clip indents in my fingers to fade...

Now putting things back together, the circular cover was very tight to remove, but seems very loose in replacing. Is this a "break away" piece? Some plastic tabs that snap as you pull it off? I've double checked lining up the tabs with the slots and oriented the cover in the same manner as the other 2 covers, but it seems very loose. It appears to be fully in place, but I can turn the cover a full circle with just one finger. I believe the tabs are fully engaged, but I can't get the cover to set firmly. I can slowly rotate the cover until the tabs fall into the slot, but then I can continuing turning the cover completely around.

What am I doing wrong?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in