Technical and law questiom - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 1st, 2011, 12:56 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Technical and law questiom

So I had a brilliant (at least to me) idea...

Kisan makes the pathBlazer modulating headlight unit which works during daytime and turns itself off when the sensor deems there is not enough daylight out.

So, I know this is legal on headlights. I'm thinking this would be interesting on a set of Motolights or similar low mounted pair of lights. Legal?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 1st, 2011, 5:59 pm

Re: Technical and law questiom

Hi Raffy. I've had that same thought for a while. Seems to me that as long as it just modulates, I would think that it would be ok. I have also thought of a Moto Light side to side modulation would be work as well. Like a freight train.
We did some business at CCR in Osage Beach. I hope you are doing well.
Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #3 of 7 Old May 1st, 2011, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Hi Raffy. I've had that same thought for a while. Seems to me that as long as it just modulates, I would think that it would be ok. I have also thought of a Moto Light side to side modulation would be work as well. Like a freight train.
We did some business at CCR in Osage Beach. I hope you are doing well.
Keith
Federal statutes control most vehicle lighting, and States cannot override those specific items. States can have additional regulations, as long as none of them conflict with or override the federal ones.

Headlight modulation is pretty strictly regulated, such as modulation rate, and modulation levels. The lights cannot be "flashed" on and off, but must modulate between a specific low level and full bright, and as Raffy pointed out, between morning and evening, not legal to modulate at night. Commercially available modulators have a sensor to prevent them operating below a set light level.

Side to side modulation is strictly forbidden. Two headlights can be modulated on a Car, but must modulate together.

Modulation of auxiliary lights would be questionable at best. May get away with it if the headlight is not modulated too, but I would not want to test law enforcement's outlook on it.

I had downloaded the federal regulations years ago, and just looked around on my system and found them. Attached. There is more about US federal vehicle lighting there than you could possibly want to know. Section on Motorcycle headlight modulation is section S7.9.4

Note, these are a few years old, so before depending on anything in them, get the latest version.
Attached Files
File Type: txt vehicle lighting codes.txt (187.7 KB, 58 views)

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 7 Old May 2nd, 2011, 8:35 pm

Thanks for the update!

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #5 of 7 Old May 4th, 2011, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks David.

BTW, Motolight is now offering a wig wag option for police bikes equiped with Motolights.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #6 of 7 Old May 4th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Thanks David.

BTW, Motolight is now offering a wig wag option for police bikes equiped with Motolights.
The LEO bikes can use wig wag, civilian use is definitely illegal. Not to say one cannot do it, but that one would have to be constantly be expecting to be stopped.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 7 Old May 5th, 2011, 10:10 am

I would also expect the cagers to be really pissed at you, and that's not a good situation for anyone.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in