About to mount PIAA-Anything I should know? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Question About to mount PIAA-Anything I should know?

I'm about to mount the PIAA 1100X Powersport lights with the K1200LT mounting kit. Mounting the lights looks like a snap and so does the wiring harness. Anything I should know? Is there anything special about disconnecting the battery? I think I remember something about reconnecting it and twisting the throttle to reset it. Also, can anyone help me identify which wire to connect the switch lead to? I want the lights to be on all the time unless I shut them off (not just with the high beam). Thanks for the help.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 3:32 pm

Connections/Bracket

Guessing you have the complete PowerSports Kit, which includes the PIAA lights and the Bracket ? If so you are good to go. If the brackets were not included with the PowerSports Light Kit, then make sure you have the PowerSports Bracket. It has only one 10/32 Pemnut pressed into the mounting hole on each bracket. There are no other mounting holes in the PowerSports bracket, only a small tiewrap hole off one edge..

I have always connected (+) switch lead to the running light found in lower part of headlamp. Others have connected to other relay sources under the seat, such and the heated seat relay, etc.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:26 am
RMW

Talking PIIA's

Yeah, put aside a few bucks for the replacement bulbs. I had been leaving mine on all the time. In 18 months and 33K mi I replaced both bulbs adding a bit over 100 more clams to the already steep purchase price. Also, per the instructions, make sure you turn the PIAA's off before start up and shut down or you will replace them even more often.

Now my PIAA's stay off and serve only as night time cross-eyed twisty road lights. (work fairly well for this purpose). Moto-lights are going on as soon as possible. Just learned their bulbs have a life time warranty. If Joe would have told me sooner I coulda used the money to add a cigar lighter or something else I really need.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA

post #4 of 29 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

I haven't had much time to do the installation but so far so good. Left fairing is off and right light is mounted. (Yes I did have the ezymounts and they fit great!) I guess you can't mount the left light until the fairing is remounted, but all the wiring will be there and ready to go. I have never seen a completed mounting so running the wires is guesswork for me. They seem to fit along the left side and top of the gas tank coming out at the top of the radiators where I can use wire ties to attach them to the frame. The little relay tucks in left of the battery compartment. I am thinking of mounting the switch on top of the stingray as the wire easily fit through the opening behind the radio and ran along the top of the gas tank. It will be in easy reach too. Not sure where to run the switch (+) wire yet but I read you in another thread that said not to use a power source that goes on and off with starting but stays on with the ignition. Rear heated seat sound good? Thanks again for the help.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #5 of 29 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Wiring..Harness

before you run the harness wires over the tank, think about what you or your dealer will have to go thru in order to remove the fuel tank for service or any other reason in the future. should go under tank, or down frame rails to inner tip-over wing frame members to run wires. try to run them so that do not get in the way when removing any other part of the bike that may need to come off for service..

Jim

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 Old Feb 24th, 2006, 5:39 pm

I'm with Ron on this one. The PIAAs were on the bike when I bought it used almost two years ago, so I don't know how old they are. I run those puppies all the time, and recently blew my first bulb. I ordered a replacement through my local dealer, Touring Sport BMW.

I picked up my replacement bulb at lunch today. $42.00 each, plus tax. The package had Japanese lettering and we were guessing at the translation (something along the lines of "guess what we charge those gullible Americans for replacement bulbs"). Bob Menton was at the dealership and saw my pained expression. Oh, well. At least the lodging for Spring Training Camp Part 2 is reasonable.

I think I'll at least keep my lights off while cranking the bike from now on.
post #7 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 2:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage
There is a channel under the right side of the gas tank where the steel brake lines run. It is a good place to run wires, which you can do using a metal coat hanger while the tank is still in place.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 8:32 am Thread Starter

I have only taken the left side fairing off so I didn't see that channel. I'll take a look at the right side today. I definately was trying to avoid taking off the gas tank if possible. Thanks.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #9 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 1:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I believe you can see the channel if you squat down at the front of the bike and look above the fender and just to the outside of the forks. Maybe put a light under the driver's seat and look for it that way. It should come out just forward of the battery.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 4:04 pm
BEJ

PIAA bulb replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
I'm with Ron on this one. The PIAAs were on the bike when I bought it used almost two years ago, so I don't know how old they are. I run those puppies all the time, and recently blew my first bulb. I ordered a replacement through my local dealer, Touring Sport BMW.
I picked up my replacement bulb at lunch today. $42.00 each, plus tax.
You don't have t use PIAA bulbs. Phillips and others make bulbs that are supposed to work just as well for a lot less money, under $5.00 each. They are only 50 watts instead of 55 watts, but from what I've been told by those who have used them, they work just as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	halogen_bulbs[1].jpg
Views:	99
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2208  

Burt Jones

Last edited by DaveDragon; Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:34 am. Reason: Fix Close Quote
post #11 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Bob Menton told me that there was an inexpensive replacement bulb available at Home Depot, but it did not have the same beam pattern. Not having HID, I need all the good lighting I can get.

For five bucks, you could give it a try and not be out much if you didn't like it.

I installed my genuine PIAA bulb this morning, so I'm not going to worry about it any more.
post #12 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 8:41 pm

Hey, Weyman - you guyz talkin' 'bout PIAA 1100X replacement bulbs, or Motolight replacement bulbs. I haven't been inside my PIAA 1100X fixtures in 4-5 years, butt I did replace a Motolight bulb recently, using the MR16 unit from Home Depot.

Good to know that these also work to replace the PIAAs, cuz now I've prolly jinxed myself just talkin' 'bout 'em!
post #13 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 9:06 pm

Bulb Life Secret ?

So Dick,

What can you tell everyone about the secret of long PIAA 1100X bulb life ?

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #14 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everybody. The installation is done and the lights work well and look good too. I ended up running the wires along the top left side of the gas tank with enough room to slide them over for tank removal. The switch is mounted on the stingray on the left side and the (+) switch wire is run off of the rear seat heat power. I plan to turn the PIAAs on and off manually so they won't have to flicker during startup. While I was in there I greased the shift ball joints and also did an oil change and rear end change. Everything went back together well. Ready now for the next farkle to come along!

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #15 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount
So Dick,

What can you tell everyone about the secret of long PIAA 1100X bulb life ?
Hey, Jim - howdy. Well to tell ya the truth, I ordered a replacement set of PIAA bulbs from Denise at Lone Star 'bout 4 years ago, and I still got 'em in the closet. Assures the originals keep on tickin'!!!

Another truth - Dave Moore fixed me up with the Phoenix switch module on Toad's right handlebar and wired the PIAAs to one of the toggles. So, they're not on all the time, and rarely during start up. Don't know if that impacts their longevity, butt works for me!!!
post #16 of 29 Old Feb 27th, 2006, 7:25 am

Smile Bulb Life

In my dealings with PIAA, they have always told me that on/off cycles will affect bulb life. That is why I have always preached, switch your lights independantly and never turn them on before your engine has cranked and always turn them off before killing ignition, so you will not accidentally leave them on for the next ignition cycle..

Have a good one...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #17 of 29 Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:35 pm

I have a question on this as I'm about to put a set on mine.
Do you consider these lights to be better as a high beam assist or a low beam assist?
In particular I am looking to supplement the low beam pattern to "fill in" the pattern on the top right and top left corners of the low beam, where the high beam will cause the stock pattern to be somewhat triangular. It's those two corners that cause the blind spots going into corners particularly on an up or down hill that bother me the most. Truthfully I only chose these lights because they don't interfere with the look of the bike.
Also I'm planning to have this done as part of a full service, dealer wants to charge me $400.00 to install (+ cost of the light kit = $700+ total for the lights alone, around $1500 for the service and new front tire) as he's telling me most of the tupperware needs to come off, and the wiring is a pain. Thoughts?

Thanks.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #18 of 29 Old Apr 28th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Wanted to bring this up to the forum to see if I can get some info.

post #19 of 29 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 9:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I'm not familiar with those PIAA light patterns, but $400 for an install seems awfully ridiculous. Especially if they're already doing a 12K service, which has all the tupperware and gas tank off. And even with a new tire, $1,500 for a 12K seems outrageous as well. But if you don't have the capability or time to do it yourself, then you'll have to pay what they ask.

I'd sure try and find a local tech session though. Heck, for $2,200 I could ride out your way, do the install, 12K, and tire install, pay my travel expenses, and still make out way ahead.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #20 of 29 Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:28 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Who is your dealer?

This past Saturday one of us installed a PIAA kit on a Ezy-mount bracket. Mostly by himself. No way $400 to install. That's like charging for 5 hours of labor in our neck of the woods.

Full service you say. Would that be like a 12k or 24k? If it is one of the services above, your dealer is out to screw you specially since the body panels will be off the bike anyway.

Look for another dealer or have one of us that has done this, assist/teach you how to do it.

Btw, you can cross angle the lights and that would take care of the blind corners.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Apr 30th, 2006 at 11:29 pm.
post #21 of 29 Old May 18th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Hey Raffy,
Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner, I was on vacation and just got back a couple days ago. The dealer I'm working with right now is Cliff's BMW in Danbury, CT. Sometimes I don't get the warm fuzzies from them as they seem to drop the ball on minor things frequently, and I'm not really a fan of Bob Rosen either, but on the other hand the service tech is (was) an LT rider and knows to do things like put the mirror tethers on, etc. and can get the tupperware on and off in about 7 minutes flat...he seems like a great guy. (don't know his name)
I feel as though this is a very high price as well, but as I've not done much work on the LT yet, I'm not confident in taking it apart and digging into it. I'm also not experienced in estimating the costs associated with services so I didn't kick and scream at the $1500 clam estimate as I have no baseline for what it should cost. Although I did have a shot of Rum and a beer immediately after getting off the phone with Cliff's when I got the estimate.

The service I'm getting done is:
1) ABS fault keeps triggering. Lights alternately blink left side/right side and seems to be related to the charge of the battery although I'm not sure. I think I may be using the wrong trickle charger for the battery I have (Lead-acid / Battery Tender) or it's some kind of a surface charge issue. The reason I say this is that if I ride the bike for a while and stop and restart the problem goes away. I rode it yesterday and had left if off the trickle charger since Saturday when I got back from vacation and took a quick spin. The problem never appeared yesterday and I would have thought the battery being down a little would have made it worse not better.
2) New front tire. I have 8400 miles on the bike and although the tread looks marginal I would like a new one. (replace with OEM Metzler)
3) Rear brake rotor is rattling and making me crazy. I feel sloppiness in the rear end when I put it on the center stand and move the tire side to side. I can't tell if it's the rotor rattle or if the rear bearing is loose.
4) overall safety check to prep for the riding season. I'm planning some long rides this summer so I want to be proactive instead of reactive. Change the brake fluid, coolant, engine oil, rear drive oil.
5) mount the PIAA 1100X's under the front cowl. Wiring to the low beam so they are on all the time. (bulbs are not an issue for me).

I appreciate the feedback. If there are any local guys (CT area) who would like to help me put the lights on (sorry Meese you're out of luck on the airfare I'll call and cancel the light install (it was picked up today going in for the service middle next week) and we can pick a time to get together. There's a free meal and a six pack in it for ya!

Thanks all.

Kevin

post #22 of 29 Old May 20th, 2006, 8:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Another truth - Dave Moore fixed me up with the Phoenix switch module on Toad's right handlebar and wired the PIAAs to one of the toggles. So, they're not on all the time, and rarely during start up. Don't know if that impacts their longevity, butt works for me!!!
Anyone know the P/N for the Phoenix switch?

Thanks!
OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
post #23 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 7:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: About to mount PIAA-Anything I should know?

I'm just starting the installation of my Powersports 1100X kit. I have things apart to the side fairing stage as I plan to remove the gas tank (got to learn how to do that sooner or later anyway) so that I can run the wires under it and also so I can tap into the wiring near the electronics box and not mess with the handlebar area near the switchgear.

My question at the moment is about the mounting brackets. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that there is only one "nutsert" (I forget the official name) for mounting the lights. My bracket has 3 nutserts, only one of which fits the 10-31 screw, but there are two other smaller ones toward the rear of the bracket. I also note that my light ends up being farther forward on the bracket as compared to the picture shown on the back of the instruction sheet. I'm guessing just a design revision, but was wondering if I somehow got the wrong brackets in the kit.

Also, the instructions say to tighten the 10-32 firmly so that you can just barely rotate the light for side-to-side adjustment. I've tried that, but as soon as I turn the light in the counter-clockwise direction at all, the screw loosens up. If the only adjustment is made such that the light rotates in the direction of screw tightening, then no problem, but turn it the other direction and the screw is starting to loosen.

It appears that there is enough of the screw extending through the top of hte nutsert on which to place a nut to lock against the nutsert. Has anyone else done this? Has anyone had issues with the mounting screw coming loose either during your final lateral aiming or while riding?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #24 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 9:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Does anyone know if the relay that comes with the PIAA Powersports 1100X kit is a grounded relay? The Autoswitch instructions show the need for a ground wire to the relay if the relay is not grounded, but I'm not sure which style the PIAA is.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 4:39 pm

1st.. Sounds like your bracket is not the PowerSports Version...

PM me with your number and we can talk about it !

2nd.. Yes the switch will have a ground wire connection..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #26 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 4:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

PM sent.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #27 of 29 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 7:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I'd like to express my thanks to Jim and the folks at PIAA. It turns out that Jim identified via a phone call and my description that I had in fact been sent the incorrect brackets in my PIAA PowerSports 1100X kit. He also gave me a contact at PIAA when I found that the email address on their web site is no longer valid. I sent pictures to PIAA of my brackets and they agreed that my kit had shipped with the wrong brackets and have sent me a set of correct brackets. I should receive the brackets in a few days.

Excellent response both from Jim and from PIAA!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 29 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Has anyone experienced "rubbing" on the front fender? I have Big E's '05LT and love the PIAA lights. They look like ezmount brackets. Just noticed the other day two small spots where the lights must have rubbed the front fender. They are still mounted in the same position and have plenty of clearance. Any guesses?

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )
post #29 of 29 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atps1234
Anyone know the P/N for the Phoenix switch?

Thanks!
OB
Yep you can find it in the Hall of Wisdom, here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in