HID low beam - Lights go out when engine is started - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 9:17 am Thread Starter

HID low beam - Lights go out when engine is started

First post here, hopefully someone can help me out. I just installed a DDM H7 low beam into my 03 K1200GT. The light comes on when the key is turned, but blinks out as soon as, (well just a second after) the engine is started. Looks like lots of people are talking about grounds, but.... ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 9:57 am

Re: HID low beam - Lights go out when engine is started

Does the light go out when started and then come back on? or does it go out and stays out? If it comes back on, don't worry about it, if it stays out then check your bulb, wiring etc.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Goes out and stays out. That is until I turn the bike off, wait a few seconds then turn the key to the on position again. At that point it comes back on.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmollar
Goes out and stays out. That is until I turn the bike off, wait a few seconds then turn the key to the on position again. At that point it comes back on.
Sounds like undervoltage. HID's are very critical in terms of incoming voltage and will not start if that is too low. Had that happen on a car.

Sometimes there is a special relay that lowers the voltage to daytime running lamps in order to extend the lifetime of a standard bulb. Which vehicle is that in/on?
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:16 am

Yup, low voltage drop collapsing ballast.
You likely have ballast power hooked up to original bulbs power harness.
* What you need to do is have original bulb harness trip a relay that is connected battery direct and powers HID ballast from relay.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:33 am Thread Starter

I do indeed have the ballast hooked up to the original bulbs power harness, as I read instructions that told me that was how it was done. Is there a relay on the stock bike already? If not, any suggestions on what relay to use?
This is on an 03 BMW K1200GT motorcycle.
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 1:47 pm

What a LOT of us have done is go over to the local auto parts store and pick up a generic 12 volt power switching relay, some @ 10 gauge wire, spade connectors for replays posts and what ever else you need for the job.
Sadly this best done with front cowls off and tank removed.
What you do is tap the hot leg of the bulbs plug connector as the trip lead activating relay. Hot side of relay gets a inline fuse attached battery direct. Power out from relay go's to the HID ballast.

I Suggest tank off because it is so much easier routing wires, mounting relay and doing the job right the first time.
However you do it, this is the power routing involved.

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Woof. Getting dicey now. Thought this thing was going to be plug and play. Maybe if I went with a 35W instead of a 55W. Or maybe, since I'm already this far along...
10 Amp in-line do the trick?
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmollar
Woof. Getting dicey now. Thought this thing was going to be plug and play. Maybe if I went with a 35W instead of a 55W. Or maybe, since I'm already this far along...
10 Amp in-line do the trick?
There is precisely your issue .... a 55 watt ballast draws 55 once started and bulb is at maximum output, sadly it draws 1 1/2 X that give or take at start up which is MORE than bikes headlamp electrical system is made to handle.

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #10 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

Hmm...DDM says I need an error code eliminator. I bought the eliminator and the harness that they make for the task motorhead suggested. I'll post to let you know if they work.
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 7:26 pm
Enjoy The Ride

This is what works for my HID. Turn key on and wait for the ABS system check light to go out. I then count 5 blinks on the failure light & then start the bike.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Saddleman is right, I tried waiting 10 seconds before starting the engine. The light blinks off for a few seconds while it turns over, and viola! lights come back on. Thanks for the insight motorhead, I'm still gonna wire up the relay as I'm obviously pushing the limits of my system. BTW these lights are AWESOME. Thanks for the help guys.
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 1st, 2010, 3:10 pm

It depends on the ballast that you are using. It is most likely has a high starting amperage draw.

Steve

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your BMW LT, and the most up-to-date BMW LT lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in