R1200RT front end conspicous lighting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 8:34 am Thread Starter

R1200RT front end conspicous lighting

I have used a modulator on my previous motorcycles. However, on my 2006 RT the modulator caused the bike's computer to sense the highlight bulb was burnt out each time the modulator happened. Didn't hurt anything, but it was distracting.

I would like to add something to the front end of my 2009 RT to make me more conspicuous to oncoming traffic, with the hopeful intent of reducing the tendency of drivers to turn left in front on me in intersections, etc. I know the modulator helped in that regard.

I do not need "fog" or "driving" lights as I do not ride at night. My need is simply to increase the odds I will be seen by oncoming traffic.

So I am looking for conspicuous front end lighting.....but I'd like to avoid the "bulb out" flashing warning on the RT's LCD panel, which means no headlight modulator (I had a Kissan on the '06 I think).

So far the Photon Blaster looks good. Price is decent and installation looks very easy (as long as I just wire it to switched power). I'd really like to hear from anyone who has these installed to hear how they like them, and how effective they are. Also if you have suggestions for other products I'd like to hear that also.

Thanks.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 7:17 am

Re: R1200RT front end conspicous lighting

I have just installed the Photon Blasters on the front of my 07 RT and P3's on the back.

They were relatively easy to install.
The wiring appeared fairly light so I ran the wires through shrink tubing hoping for a bit better protection for the wires.
Used plenty of small zip ties (some supplied in package).
I removed the RHS Plastic for better access.
Jerry Skene at Skene Design was good to deal with, even with me living in Oz.

I am very happy with the setup and have had a number of comments about how bright they appear in daylight albeit that it is hard to tell from where I sit.

Go for PB's and the P3's

Phillip M
2007 R1200RT
Biarritz Blue
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 8:22 am Thread Starter

Thanks Philip, these sound like what I may end up installing. I am still trying to figure out if I'm best served by a PB on front or something like a Kisan headlight modulator. I already know how good the modulator works.....maybe I'll get both!

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 9:26 am

I have just installed the Clearwater Glenda lights on my RT and my wifes ST. Riding in groups has brought on many what kind of lights are those questions. Fellow riders now know where we are, when we have completed lane changes etc, I have not received any complaints that they are blinding or distracting (other than our stock headlights are "dim" in comparison). These lights are very well made, dimmable and fairly easy to install. They use high power LEDs so lifespan will be much better than halogen. You may want to check them out.
Larry
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTST
I have just installed the Clearwater Glenda lights on my RT and my wifes ST. Riding in groups has brought on many what kind of lights are those questions. Fellow riders now know where we are, when we have completed lane changes etc, I have not received any complaints that they are blinding or distracting (other than our stock headlights are "dim" in comparison). These lights are very well made, dimmable and fairly easy to install. They use high power LEDs so lifespan will be much better than halogen. You may want to check them out.
Larry
+1 on the Glendas! not a single flash from oncoming traffic and my riding buddies say they are ridiculously bright. They light up reflectors/signs on the road like a Christmas tree! Photos just don't do them justice. They light has a very distinctive appearance in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 RT Clearwater Lights004.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	28238  
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
+1 on the Glendas! not a single flash from oncoming traffic and my riding buddies say they are ridiculously bright. They light up reflectors/signs on the road like a Christmas tree! Photos just don't do them justice. They light has a very distinctive appearance in person.
+2. They're great lights and I love the fact that you can dim them as needed.

Drink Coffee! Do stupid things faster and with more energy!
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek
I have used a modulator on my previous motorcycles. However, on my 2006 RT the modulator caused the bike's computer to sense the highlight bulb was burnt out each time the modulator happened. Didn't hurt anything, but it was distracting.

I would like to add something to the front end of my 2009 RT to make me more conspicuous to oncoming traffic, with the hopeful intent of reducing the tendency of drivers to turn left in front on me in intersections, etc. I know the modulator helped in that regard.

I do not need "fog" or "driving" lights as I do not ride at night. My need is simply to increase the odds I will be seen by oncoming traffic.

So I am looking for conspicuous front end lighting.....but I'd like to avoid the "bulb out" flashing warning on the RT's LCD panel, which means no headlight modulator (I had a Kissan on the '06 I think).

So far the Photon Blaster looks good. Price is decent and installation looks very easy (as long as I just wire it to switched power). I'd really like to hear from anyone who has these installed to hear how they like them, and how effective they are. Also if you have suggestions for other products I'd like to hear that also.

Thanks.

6500K HID Low Beams from XENONRider.com along with motolights with 55W Ushio 6500K Halogens

I get a LOT of comments about how conspicuous I am, even from a fellow BMW rider that saw me in oncoming traffic outside of DC.. Picked me out of the crowd miles down the road.

My last bike had Motolights on it (won at Morton's openhouse), and when someone came to test ride it was the first time I'd seen it myself. My wife bought the set of motolights for the new bike, she LOVES how much I stick out.

The HIDs are two fold.. I was traveling a lot at night while I was going to school.. back and forth from Arlington VA (about 80 miles away) for night class.. and back and forth from Dahlgren on study nights (about 60 miles away).. When I first swapped out for HID it was literally like night and day. The light is AMAZING.

Oh, and I also have a 4000K HID High Beam, but I don't seem to use that much.

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 24th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmor
I have just installed the Photon Blasters on the front of my 07 RT and P3's on the back.

They were relatively easy to install.
The wiring appeared fairly light so I ran the wires through shrink tubing hoping for a bit better protection for the wires.
Used plenty of small zip ties (some supplied in package).
I removed the RHS Plastic for better access.
Jerry Skene at Skene Design was good to deal with, even with me living in Oz.

I am very happy with the setup and have had a number of comments about how bright they appear in daylight albeit that it is hard to tell from where I sit.

Go for PB's and the P3's
+1 on the Photon Blasters and P3 lights. They are amazing for the price, extremely easy to install and in the case of the Blasters the yellow color makes you stand out even more in my opinion. When viewed at an angle they 'flicker' so they catch peoples attention, yet when viewed straight on they look normal. You'll like them and the support (if needed) is second to none.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in