High beam, Silverstar or HID - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:41 pm Thread Starter

Question High beam, Silverstar or HID

For those who have tried both, which one do you prefer? What or how great is the difference of the two? I'm sold on the low beam being HID, just questioning how much greater an HID would be. Presently have the Silverstar bulb as my high beam and it is quite sufficient.

TIA

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:04 am

Go with the HID.. You won't be sorry.....I did both High and Low. If I was going to use a modulator like Dave I'd leave the High beam stock... Don't use a Silverstar.. they burn out too fast and really are not that good.. Use the XTRAVISION.. It's brighter and lasts twice as long.....The Silverstar's are junk for kids to buy...

Regards,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 7 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:12 am

If a standard bulb is a 5, Silver Star is 6, HID is 10.

There is absolutely NO substitute at this time for HID, period. Eventually LED technology will replace all of them, but that will likely be 2010 or later before you start to see that coming online.

If you do go with HID, do not fall for the higher temp is better trap. Get 4000-5000 K, nothing higher. The high temp blue/purple bulbs are for the ignorant "fad" worshipers. Actually put out LESS useable light.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:25 am

I had the SilverStar low beam...and although it appeared "whiter" is was no brighter. I compared it next to my brother's OEM bulb in his LT while we traversed a lonely dark country road. Not impressed...and, it did NOT last.

Currently, I have an HID low-beam just kinda sorta setting on the front fender with the lamp in place. Wow! LET THERE BE LIGHT!

I won't be replacing the high-beam for now . . . though I might install some lame "Xenon" HID wannabe lamp in there just so it "looks" whiter. Not sure yet...
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I won't be replacing the high-beam for now . . . though I might install some lame "Xenon" HID wannabe lamp in there just so it "looks" whiter. Not sure yet...
I had a PIAA "extreme white" bulb in high beam, it still looked like a pale candle in comparison. It is advertised as 4000K, but next to my 4200K HID it looked YELLOW! Near same numbers, but in reality not close at all.

There is no Halogen bulb that comes even close to the HID in color, no matter the advertising hype.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Smile Thank You

Gentlemen:

Thank You very much for your info, that is what I was looking for. Guess I will be ordering both the low and high beam HID. Tired of riding by candlelight, especailly when there are so many Bambi's around.

TA

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #7 of 7 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up I Love my HID's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarver
For those who have tried both, which one do you prefer? What or how great is the difference of the two? I'm sold on the low beam being HID, just questioning how much greater an HID would be. Presently have the Silverstar bulb as my high beam and it is quite sufficient.

TIA
I love my HID's (both). I tried all types of halogen bulbs without success. The past year of HID use has been so impressive I will never be satisfied with anything else.

The high beam is great for desert and late night riding when there isn't much oncoming traffic(both I do as often as I can). I try to dip the lights early to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. I have had a problem with about 10% of oncoming traffic not liking my low beam. However, if the other driver doesn't like my low beam they surely don't like my high beam. Thanks to Ken Meese for helping me adjust my headlight, and after I get back to riding I'm hoping the lights will be less offensive to oncoming traffic.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in